-
Featured
- #501
Leer still available? If so, please send specs.Not a tremor but got a great deal on a Leer. Will either wrap it or paint it white
View attachment 243201
View attachment 243202
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Leer still available? If so, please send specs.Not a tremor but got a great deal on a Leer. Will either wrap it or paint it white
View attachment 243201
View attachment 243202
No, sold it…paint and wrap estimates were coming in above $1k which is double what I was told before buying. Just ordered a 100XL in the proper colorLeer still available? If so, please send specs.
Took me 17 weeks to get a new paint to match 100XQ. They told me 8 to 10 weeks back in October...their customer services really is bad too on communication. I hope yours goes better.No, sold it…paint and wrap estimates were coming in above $1k which is double what I was told before buying. Just ordered a 100XL in the proper color
Wanted to pose a question here since there seems to be the most collective info regarding caps/toppers. I have been trying to decide which to get while my truck is on order, and I've narrowed it down to three choices.
GFC V2 Pro Topper
RSI Smartcap defender
Westin EXP
The three vary in price, material, and features. I frequently go to the range, camping, and hunting. I want to avoid prying eyes and have something that will safely protect gear in the back. I plan to also use this for weekend hunts/camping as makeshift sleeping quarters so I don't need to set up and tear down a tent. I intend on re-wiring the bed cam into the topper, and running the Wolfbox camera to the back of the camper/truck for rearview. I saw one post mention that the GFC installer didn't even wire in the third brake light, which would bother me.
Outside of DIY, do any of these have insulation kits available? I read somewhere online that the Westin EXP can be locked/unlocked with tailgate. Does anyone have any experience that can confirm this info or not? It also doesn't seem like the Westin and GFC have any form of ventilation like the RSI. Wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on this.
Thank you all for the collective input!
I read that article, but theres not a ton of detail. I also read the thread with the bumper cam install. I ordered the whole kit during the group buy, but I was thinking about mounting the rearview cam higher, possibly drilling a hole for it.You may wish to take a look at this article https://offroadalliance.com/our-blo...4QbG6pgniyWT6TGNYtuP8TE9HnPNwXhhoC1d8QAvD_BwE
Running the Smart Cap with the Off Road Alliance lighting kit, Decked with Cargo Glide find it's tight locks secure the side panels and tailgate providing good security. The vent system works well, not dust coming in from dusty roads. Making frequent trips to the range, gear is secure and doesn't pickup any road dust. I've installed inverter and ICECO refrig/freezer cold ones always on hand.
Suggest you check out the Wolfbox G900TriPro Bumper Cam Install (Complete) posts for information about Wolfbox rear camera install.
I think this is the first time I've heard of a GFC falling apart. I know with all three I'm comparing, annual or semi-annual tightening is required of the hardware. I don't think that's an issue for me as I was planning to do this with oil changes. Was it something else that caused the GFC to come apart?I seem to be the odd one out but I hated my GFC. It quite literally fell apart on a Baja trail on my tundra- to be fair I bought it used and it was a very early V2 so I have no idea what the prior owner did wrong if anything but my experience was awful. I wouldn’t put another one on my truck if it was given to me.
I’ve never had a smart cap but have heard great things.
I am picking up my new fiberglass shell next week. I have had a few ARE shells over the years and I am really happy to be getting back into one. They have been great to me for camping too- the carpet insulates well and the different window options are really cool.
My second choice is soft topper- I LOVE the soft topper but I hate the way they look on the super duty so decided to go with the ARE camper shell this time around.
Agree not a lot of detail, thought the most important part was the last comment, "make an informed decision that enhances your truck's utility and aligns with your lifestyle." All 3 of these are not inexpensive, research is important; took me over a year to finally pull the trigger on the Smart Cap.I read that article, but theres not a ton of detail. I also read the thread with the bumper cam install. I ordered the whole kit during the group buy, but I was thinking about mounting the rearview cam higher, possibly drilling a hole for it.
No idea- the frame sheared in several spots at once and the rear door warped. We were ripping pretty hard and fast but its literally called go fast lolI think this is the first time I've heard of a GFC falling apart. I know with all three I'm comparing, annual or semi-annual tightening is required of the hardware. I don't think that's an issue for me as I was planning to do this with oil changes. Was it something else that caused the GFC to come apart?
I still think the previous owner damaged it in some way. GFC customer service was horrid (since I bought it used I can’t really blame them) and they wouldn’t help me source or even find replacement hardware and parts to fix it.
I’ve been running this camera mount for my Wolfbox for about 30K rough miles so far. It’s held up great, and will work well with any camper with rear window.I read that article, but theres not a ton of detail. I also read the thread with the bumper cam install. I ordered the whole kit during the group buy, but I was thinking about mounting the rearview cam higher, possibly drilling a hole for it.
I saw that thread and this picture, do you happen to have any pictures of the rearview display with other vehicles behind you with their headlights on?Agree not a lot of detail, thought the most important part was the last comment, "make an informed decision that enhances your truck's utility and aligns with your lifestyle." All 3 of these are not inexpensive, research is important; took me over a year to finally pull the trigger on the Smart Cap.
I've had it over a year now down dusty roads, off roading in Sedona and Big Bend, it's done very well. Like the accessibility, the ventilation, and interior lighting kit is wonderful when setting up at night.
Regarding rear camera, I've found no need to have it mounted on the topper, mounting the rear camera on license plate bracket, connecting it to have the reverse lines has plenty field of view, avoiding the need for drilling holes in topper. I really dislike drilling holes then in my new expensive stuff then having to seal having a nagging worry about leaks, but that's just me being a nerd with OCD
Below is picture from my rear camera mounted on license plate bracket picture of sunrise heading west from Casper WY.
View attachment 250735
Thank you, I just ordered one! Now I need to make sure I get a topper with a back window.I’ve been running this camera mount for my Wolfbox for about 30K rough miles so far. It’s held up great, and will work well with any camper with rear window.
Do you happen to have pictures of this posted somewhere? I'm curious of the type of damage. Maybe you bought the one that had that old F150 sitting on top in the picture lol.No idea- the frame sheared in several spots at once and the rear door warped. We were ripping pretty hard and fast but its literally called go fast lol
I still think the previous owner damaged it in some way. GFC customer service was horrid (since I bought it used I can’t really blame them) and they wouldn’t help me source or even find replacement hardware and parts to fix it.
Just sharing my experience- there are tens of thousands of others who love GFC just one sour grape out of the bunch haha
I do- let me dig though some pictures and I can post later today. Essentially a bunch of the frame struts sheered off at the bolts. I think 9 specific spots all had it happen. I had to drill them out and install rivnuts and run new hardware all while trying to maintain keeping the frame alignedDo you happen to have pictures of this posted somewhere? I'm curious of the type of damage. Maybe you bought the one that had that old F150 sitting on top in the picture lol.
Wanted to pose a question here since there seems to be the most collective info regarding caps/toppers. I have been trying to decide which to get while my truck is on order, and I've narrowed it down to three choices.
GFC V2 Pro Topper
RSI Smartcap defender
Westin EXP
The three vary in price, material, and features. I frequently go to the range, camping, and hunting. I want to avoid prying eyes and have something that will safely protect gear in the back. I plan to also use this for weekend hunts/camping as makeshift sleeping quarters so I don't need to set up and tear down a tent. I intend on re-wiring the bed cam into the topper, and running the Wolfbox camera to the back of the camper/truck for rearview. I saw one post mention that the GFC installer didn't even wire in the third brake light, which would bother me.
Outside of DIY, do any of these have insulation kits available? I read somewhere online that the Westin EXP can be locked/unlocked with tailgate. Does anyone have any experience that can confirm this info or not? It also doesn't seem like the Westin and GFC have any form of ventilation like the RSI. Wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on this.
Thank you all for the collective input!
Damnit, wish I had known more about these when I got my ARE.GFC all the way. I run the piss out of my rigs, so i ensure to do what's needed to make everything live as long as possible - in this case, I built a tubular steel support off the bed-cleats to brace the mounting points while preventing fore/aft movement during extreme use. The latches are awesome in function, but i do wish i could lock/unlock with my key fob vs. manually actuating each one on the panel as needed. That's really my only gripe and i know they're working on a system to do this - not sure how far out is is. I have 3 trucks, all are GFC equipped, all have custom provision beyond GFC's mounting to ensure they live. I'll never run anything else.
My 2025 Ram has their insulation kit, but it's in the camper, not the topper. I've done my own custom lighting in each one, as well, all wired into a deutsch bulkhead for easy removal. My 03 Ram one has a solar panel to power my LiFePO4 battery as well. All has held up really well to my use which says a lot.
View attachment 250785
View attachment 250790
View attachment 250791
That SD looks awesome. Any pictures of your added supports to the structure? I saw a video showing the V2 Pro and the person mentioned how floppy the sides were, but still secure. My biggest concern is someone easily prying a side open and gaining access.GFC all the way. I run the piss out of my rigs, so i ensure to do what's needed to make everything live as long as possible - in this case, I built a tubular steel support off the bed-cleats to brace the mounting points while preventing fore/aft movement during extreme use. The latches are awesome in function, but i do wish i could lock/unlock with my key fob vs. manually actuating each one on the panel as needed. That's really my only gripe and i know they're working on a system to do this - not sure how far out is is. I have 3 trucks, all are GFC equipped, all have custom provision beyond GFC's mounting to ensure they live. I'll never run anything else.
My 2025 Ram has their insulation kit, but it's in the camper, not the topper. I've done my own custom lighting in each one, as well, all wired into a deutsch bulkhead for easy removal. My 03 Ram one has a solar panel to power my LiFePO4 battery as well. All has held up really well to my use which says a lot.
View attachment 250785
View attachment 250790
View attachment 250791