Camper Shell Options for Super Duty Tremor

That GFC is fantastic! The vertical access through the bed is ingenious and is a real game changer for utility. This is a serious option for me to consider since it is lightweight enough to tow a travel trailer as a basecamp but flexible enough to easily do 2-3 day excursions.

How dusty does stuff get inside? Is there still no factory option for ventilation?
He mentions a filtered positive pressure system they are working on that is doing great in testing. I think you will definitely need to caulk and/or foam seal all the seams in the bed and tailgate as well.

There's also a diesel propane heater in the works, although I'm not sure it will be worth the expense and space you have to sacrifice.
 
That GFC is fantastic! The vertical access through the bed is ingenious and is a real game changer for utility. This is a serious option for me to consider since it is lightweight enough to tow a travel trailer as a basecamp but flexible enough to easily do 2-3 day excursions.


He mentions a filtered positive pressure system they are working on that is doing great in testing. I think you will definitely need to caulk and/or foam seal all the seams in the bed and tailgate as well.

There's also a diesel propane heater in the works, although I'm not sure it will be worth the expense and space you have to sacrifice.
I'm more concerned about heat, not cold here in CA. A filtered positive pressure system would be a great add-on, as that's one of the draws for the RSI. The downside is replacing the RSI filter and it being a potential leaking point.
 
That SD looks awesome. Any pictures of your added supports to the structure? I saw a video showing the V2 Pro and the person mentioned how floppy the sides were, but still secure. My biggest concern is someone easily prying a side open and gaining access.

How dusty does stuff get inside? Is there still no factory option for ventilation?

Jerry
I can take some pictures of the braces - i don't have any on me that are easy to find. Simple design tho. The sides are FAR from "floppy". That said, if someone wants in with a pry-bar, they're getting in; I don't care what topper you have. I'd rather them bend the panel than my bed trying to access. Dust is well mitigated but the bed is far from sealed from the factory - i have daylight through several areas in the bed construction so I'm not too picky about that. I just got back from a trip to Mammoth where i dug the truck out for 5ft. of snow on top of it, and around it. Everything inside was bone-dry so it seals better than the bed.

As the bed isn't sealed, i don't see why there would be ventilation? In the tents/campers, they have ventilation to prevent condensation when you're sleeping, but not in the topper. I was talking to them about a positive pressure system they're engineering as it would be far more effective in dusty environments than any attempt at sealing the bed.
 
After looking at everything between the RSI and the GFC, I think I'm leaning more towards the RSI. Their positive pressure vent is still not out, building to spec, the GFC would cost just under $6k, and the only feature it has over the RSI is the light kit (added option from GFC).

I have read in several threads people having trouble with the seal that meets the tailgate with the RSI wearing or rubbing when the tailgate is dropped and the RSI lid is closed. I drive my truck daily and leave stuff in the bed all the time. I probably open and close the tailgate a couple times a day. With the manual key needed to open the RSI (and all the toppers from what I've read), I would probably not take the time to open the topper each time. Has anyone had a solution to this issue with wearing down the seal that pokes out on each side?
 
Last edited:
After looking at everything between the RSI and the GFC, I think I'm leaning more towards the GFC. Their positive pressure vent is still not out, building to spec, the GFC would cost just under $6k, and the only feature it has over the RSI is the light kit (added option from GFC).

I have read in several threads people having trouble with the seal that meets the tailgate with the RSI wearing or rubbing when the tailgate is dropped and the RSI lid is closed. I drive my truck daily and leave stuff in the bed all the time. I probably open and close the tailgate a couple times a day. With the manual key needed to open the RSI (and all the toppers from what I've read), I would probably not take the time to open the topper each time. Has anyone had a solution to this issue with wearing down the seal that pokes out on each side?
I am going with the Smart Cap Sport merely for aesthetics. My last Tremor had an ARE and it looked great, but I feel it made the truck look more luxurious rather than mean. I want my beast to be a rugged tank.
 

Attachments

  • 20220514_115815.webp
    20220514_115815.webp
    184.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
.... Has anyone had a solution to this issue with wearing down the seal that pokes out on each side?
I was concerned about it going in, but I spray a dry silicon lubricant on each side each month just as a normal course. I'm also going to do something with lighting. I like Tugboats setup, and I like the idea of opening the sides and lighting up area outside the truck when needed. My neighbor did a budget lighting setup that's more of an interior light only, and includes a red so as to preserve night vision and not being blinded. Aside from that, I'll fabricate a couple of rods for clothes hangers on each side towards the back. Plenty a mounting points to make that work. I had those on my last shell and they were good for hanging stuff, and also providing a good tie-off point for stabilizing tall loads or handle bars when needed. All in all, I wouldn't hesitate getting another smartcap.
 
Odd request, but has anyone tried to remove that small window for the bed lights to shine through? I ordered the relocation kit for the bed cam, and since there isn't really an easy way to drill a hole and mount, I was thinking about just removing that little window and turning it into a passthrough for harnesses.

That way I can mount the bed cam, the rear view cam, and run power for lights all through the same spot.
 
The coolest, best built American made Camper Shell I've ever seen is built by Caravan Camper Shells, 1875 Dickerson Rd, Reno Nevada 89503. (775) 323-0270. Each Shell is built out of metal, you choose the height, the rear doors and the size and type of windows you want. Many people buy this particular Shell for its strength, so they can add an Electric/Automatic Aluminum Boat Loader. Check them out at, [email protected]
 
The coolest, best built American made Camper Shell I've ever seen is built by Caravan Camper Shells,...
that's what I had before on my 2004 Dodge. I had two of them over the 20 years I ran my Dodge. My grandfather had one on his F250 in the eighties, and had his Gregor on the racks on top with the outboard inside in the bed, pulling a 28' trailer. Crabbed up in The Sound for 20 years in retirement.

Double barn doors is very friendly with a trailer hookup. My rig got a lot of approving nods on the boat ramp over the years. I guy in AZ pulled me over just to find out what it was and where he could get one. The truck got rear-ended sitting on the street, and I didn't hesitate buying a replacement. I talked to the owner about something for this truck where I could keep the tailgate, but he was committed to the barndoors because of the jigs and cost of the redesign and fabrication. The owner picked up the business started by his dad, and just sold it to another family guy just a few months ago. Hopefully nothing changes with them.

If you don't mind losing the tailgate, I don't think there's a better shell out there.

1775049831307.webp
 
RSI knockoff
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0042.webp
    IMG_0042.webp
    87.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0045.webp
    IMG_0045.webp
    48.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0047.webp
    IMG_0047.webp
    82.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0048.webp
    IMG_0048.webp
    45 KB · Views: 25
Got my ARE canopy installed the other day and pretty happy with it. I’m thinking about adding in a couple agency 6 billet grab handles to it so I can utilize the front fender cut out step to access the roof and wonder if anybody else is done that or thought about it.

Forgive my artwork, not exact location or angle likely but you get the idea😂
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8706.webp
    IMG_8706.webp
    296.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8708.webp
    IMG_8708.webp
    53.8 KB · Views: 26
Can you get attachments for it?
Like what? Open road 4x4 sells the exact same cap (quite a few US companies buy these things and put their sticker on it) so a lot of the stuff seems to be interchangeable.

Such as the side panel boxes, crossbars, and so forth. Not sure what other attachments there are. I just needed a hard shell that kept out water and couldn’t justify the cost of the RSI.
 
The coolest, best built American made Camper Shell I've ever seen is built by Caravan Camper Shells, 1875 Dickerson Rd, Reno Nevada 89503. (775) 323-0270. Each Shell is built out of metal, you choose the height, the rear doors and the size and type of windows you want. Many people buy this particular Shell for its strength, so they can add an Electric/Automatic Aluminum Boat Loader. Check them out at, [email protected]
Yes that camper is by far the best. I’ve been around a few of them, very impressive. I’m on their mailing list, I almost bought one 10 years ago. Everyone that has one will tell you they will outlast several trucks.
 
that's what I had before on my 2004 Dodge. I had two of them over the 20 years I ran my Dodge. My grandfather had one on his F250 in the eighties, and had his Gregor on the racks on top with the outboard inside in the bed, pulling a 28' trailer. Crabbed up in The Sound for 20 years in retirement.

Double barn doors is very friendly with a trailer hookup. My rig got a lot of approving nods on the boat ramp over the years. I guy in AZ pulled me over just to find out what it was and where he could get one. The truck got rear-ended sitting on the street, and I didn't hesitate buying a replacement. I talked to the owner about something for this truck where I could keep the tailgate, but he was committed to the barndoors because of the jigs and cost of the redesign and fabrication. The owner picked up the business started by his dad, and just sold it to another family guy just a few months ago. Hopefully nothing changes with them.

If you don't mind losing the tailgate, I don't think there's a better shell out there.

View attachment 251597
I miss my 04 dodge, still got that truck?
 
I was thinking of keeping it because of low miles and maybe putting a dump bed on it. 6 or 7 years ago it took a pretty good hit from a dumbass door dash driver. Problem is I already have a dump on my 59 power wagon. A kid left a note on the 2004, knew exactly what it was, and was interested in buying it. He waited over a few years for it while I was thinking about a new truck, and then while the 350 was on order. I think he might have known more about the 2004-2006’s than I did, and that was what he was looking for. I ended up giving it to him for a nice price. I still see it one town over when I’m running the dogs down to the beach. It was a tough one to let go, but I couldn’t justify holding on to it. I think that was the best year window for that truck. The 5.9 was a beast.
 
I was thinking of keeping it because of low miles and maybe putting a dump bed on it. 6 or 7 years ago it took a pretty good hit from a dumbass door dash driver. Problem is I already have a dump on my 59 power wagon. A kid left a note on the 2004, knew exactly what it was, and was interested in buying it. He waited over a few years for it while I was thinking about a new truck, and then while the 350 was on order. I think he might have known more about the 2004-2006’s than I did, and that was what he was looking for. I ended up giving it to him for a nice price. I still see it one town over when I’m running the dogs down to the beach. It was a tough one to let go, but I couldn’t justify holding on to it. I think that was the best year window for that truck. The 5.9 was a beast.
Probably the best window for all trucks. My BIL had a 2004-5 short bed single cab GMC 1500 that he sold to an old guy 18 years ago because it was "a pos"...
Meanwhile that thing is still running around town and all the guy did was service it and do some body work to it.... Same year 2005 work truck we had back then made it to 389k before we got rid of it just because we travel long distances and didn't want to get stranded in the middle of the woods one day. Guy bought it and I think all he did was a transmission. Haven't seen it since but 389k on a gasser with general maintenance and a new radiator the whole time we possessed it is friggin gold.
 
After looking at everything between the RSI and the GFC, I think I'm leaning more towards the RSI. Their positive pressure vent is still not out, building to spec, the GFC would cost just under $6k, and the only feature it has over the RSI is the light kit (added option from GFC).

I have read in several threads people having trouble with the seal that meets the tailgate with the RSI wearing or rubbing when the tailgate is dropped and the RSI lid is closed. I drive my truck daily and leave stuff in the bed all the time. I probably open and close the tailgate a couple times a day. With the manual key needed to open the RSI (and all the toppers from what I've read), I would probably not take the time to open the topper each time. Has anyone had a solution to this issue with wearing down the seal that pokes out on each side?
The key is finding a shop that has installed a lot of RSIs. The crew who did mine had the experience of installing a lot of these.

For example, for perfect fitment on the tailgate seal, they slightly shaved the seal down to be flush with the tailgate. Additionally, near the cab, they used butyl tape in a few minor spots where they said the seal in that location doesn’t jive well with the super duty curvatures. I’ve had zero issues. Hard to see but here is my seal shaved down a bit

IMG_5057.webp

IMG_5058.webp
 
The key is finding a shop that has installed a lot of RSIs. The crew who did mine had the experience of installing a lot of these.

For example, for perfect fitment on the tailgate seal, they slightly shaved the seal down to be flush with the tailgate. Additionally, near the cab, they used butyl tape in a few minor spots where they said the seal in that location doesn’t jive well with the super duty curvatures. I’ve had zero issues. Hard to see but here is my seal shaved down a bit

View attachment 253038
View attachment 253039
Thank you for the pictures, there's two local installers I'm going to discuss this with. I remember seeing some RSI owners discussing a different, thicker seal they end up using, but I can't find that anymore. Is this something you've ever heard of?
 
Back
Top Bottom