Camper Shell Options for Super Duty Tremor

How much more clearance do you need to open your tailgate?
It's close enough that I can probably deal with it by rotating the motor on the trailer jack. So I am pretty sure the barn doors would clear. I could even drill a new hole in the current hitch.

I can solve the tailgate issue. My question is really about experience with barn doors, and whether going with them (which I might do anyway) would also give me better access when hitched. Some people love the barn doors. I am curious about pros and cons.

I know that by getting rid of the tailgate, you are closer to anything loaded in the bed and that makes it easier to reach back there. But I also expect to have a bed slide, so that advantage might not really matter.
 

I am not sure if this is what you mean but I just saw this last week
 

I am not sure if this is what you mean but I just saw this last week

Interesting, but I am talking about one of these:

1763653754719.webp
 
if anyone is interested i asked for a quote on a smartcap evo sport on offroad alliance website. they sent me an email recently and they have one in stock free shipping and $200 off. so $4,695 shipped. I ended up going with an ARE MX HD
 
It's close enough that I can probably deal with it by rotating the motor on the trailer jack. So I am pretty sure the barn doors would clear. I could even drill a new hole in the current hitch.

I can solve the tailgate issue. My question is really about experience with barn doors, and whether going with them (which I might do anyway) would also give me better access when hitched. Some people love the barn doors. I am curious about pros and cons.

I know that by getting rid of the tailgate, you are closer to anything loaded in the bed and that makes it easier to reach back there. But I also expect to have a bed slide, so that advantage might not really matter.
I'd say the only problem with the barn style is when they're open they might block your access. By that I mean, unless they open the full 180° (looking at that picture the bed would prevent them from going more than 130-145°). Maybe a little more. My work truck has a problem with that and it has the knapheide "barn door" box. Whenever I am in the city or carrying a trailer or hitch device, I have to open one door, then straddle the hitch, then open the other door to get stuff out sometimes. I can mitigate that by unhooking the pistons to get a bigger angle. But, then I still have the box lock hooks which stop it from going the full 180°
 
I have a 2025 CCSB. Been looking at a used Leer Shell that the model # says is for a 17-22 truck. The shell is currently on a 2021 truck. Leer shows a different model # for the 23+ trucks. Does anyone know what the difference is between the 17-22 beds and the 23+ beds? This shell I'm looking at on Marketplace is 3+ hours away and just wanted to see if anyone has an answer to the fit on the 25 bed.
 
I have a 2025 CCSB. Been looking at a used Leer Shell that the model # says is for a 17-22 truck. The shell is currently on a 2021 truck. Leer shows a different model # for the 23+ trucks. Does anyone know what the difference is between the 17-22 beds and the 23+ beds? This shell I'm looking at on Marketplace is 3+ hours away and just wanted to see if anyone has an answer to the fit on the 25 bed.
I am not 100% positive but i think the bed has a slight change to it. Smart cap i believe had to extend the cap a little so the tailgate top wasn’t as exposed
 
....

Does anyone here have any experience with barn doors? Specifically with and a trailer?

Thanks!
Caravan out of Reno. I loved the barn doors most all the time, and especially when trippin' with my boat or trailer. Always got compliments on the setup when towing. Honestly, it was great all the time, and I preferred not reaching over a tailgate. I had 2 of them on a Dodge. The truck got hit in the rear about 12 years into it, and I had a new shell on order for as soon as the repair was done. I'm thinking I might sell my power wagon which I use for hauling material, or I probably would have gotten another instead of a smartcap. The quality is great and it was paint matched. They build them custom, one at a time, and you're better off making the trip to Reno to have it installed. Look at their website and if you have any questions, I can address them.
 
Caravan out of Reno. I loved the barn doors most all the time, and especially when trippin' with my boat or trailer. Always got compliments on the setup when towing. Honestly, it was great all the time, and I preferred not reaching over a tailgate. I had 2 of them on a Dodge. The truck got hit in the rear about 12 years into it, and I had a new shell on order for as soon as the repair was done. I'm thinking I might sell my power wagon which I use for hauling material, or I probably would have gotten another instead of a smartcap. The quality is great and it was paint matched. They build them custom, one at a time, and you're better off making the trip to Reno to have it installed. Look at their website and if you have any questions, I can address them.
Caravan does make great shells, but they are a bit more expensive.
 
I was just thinking the same thing.
How about leaving it black and doing a black wrap on the top of the cab like @Tfbruin :

View attachment 243209

I was thinking about it, I’d still prefer all white. My issue is my trucks an STX. If I did a gloss black wrap on the top of the truck to match, I would need/want to swap the door pillar trims as they are flat black, as well as the door handles, and possibly mirror cap. The 2023 also has the black step…so I’m too OCD, lol…easier to wrap in white.

If the cap was a flat black or line x black od probably leave it alone
 
I was thinking about it, I’d still prefer all white. My issue is my trucks an STX. If I did a gloss black wrap on the top of the truck to match, I would need/want to swap the door pillar trims as they are flat black, as well as the door handles, and possibly mirror cap. The 2023 also has the black step…so I’m too OCD, lol…easier to wrap in white.

If the cap was a flat black or line x black od probably leave it alone
Leave it alone? Where’s the fun in that?
 
I would need/want to swap the door pillar trims as they are flat black, as well as the door handles, and possibly mirror cap
Those can be wrapped at the same time so everything matches - color, sheen, etc. Just sayin'. :cool:
 
Back
Top Bottom