Camper Shell Options for Super Duty Tremor

Just put an ARE Z series on my 2022. Is it normal for them to sit closer to the bed side near the front of the truck compared to the back? Just noticed it the other day and thought I would ask prior to trying to shift over.
First off welcome to the best forum with the best bunch of people on the internet. Please feel free to jump into any conversation. Hang around long enough and you’ll make new friends for sure.

Now regarding the Z series fit on your Tremor, I never really looked that close and my cap has been on the truck for three years since dealer install. Since you asked I took a good look just now and it does sit very close to the bed rail on both sides compared to above the tail lights. I guess at this point I won’t get too worried about it as it hasn’t shifted or leaked a drop water to date.
1727639466197.webp
1727639488182.webp
 
First off welcome to the best forum with the best bunch of people on the internet. Please feel free to jump into any conversation. Hang around long enough and you’ll make new friends for sure.

Now regarding the Z series fit on your Tremor, I never really looked that close and my cap has been on the truck for three years since dealer install. Since you asked I took a good look just now and it does sit very close to the bed rail on both sides compared to above the tail lights. I guess at this point I won’t get too worried about it as it hasn’t shifted or leaked a drop water to date.
View attachment 172144View attachment 172146
I’m not to worried either as mine doesn’t leak just didn’t know if it was normal. I find myself looking at the most anal things when it comes to my truck lol
 
View attachment 115458TL;DR- My shell doesn't lock/unlock as intended and I need wiring schematics.. but the ARE Z Series looks great! :)

I bought a used ARE Z series for my 2022 F350 with lock/unlock functions and am trying to wire it up. I tapped the drivers side door sill wiring (gray/brown and green/brown) but am getting weird symptoms when trying to lock/unlock the shell. The wiring from the door sill to the ARE module does not activate the lock/unlock functions.

Symptom: With the wiring attached to the ARE power box module as intended, when locking the truck the reverse lights flash for a fraction of a second. The cap does not lock/unlock. I can pull the wires and the reverse lights to not flash.

I feel that this symptom is some sort of back feed into the circuit, but for the life of me cannot figure out how or why. I'm not sure if this is the proper verbiage, but I do know that the reverse lights shouldn't activate.

I have tried reversing the wires that I tapped without success. My only thought now is the wires I have tapped are not correct. The picture attached is the two wires I have tapped, the yellow highlighted circle is a wire that I initially thought was gray/brown and tapped it first. When that tap didn't work, I changed it. Maybe I shorted a circuit accidentally? (I did run the BdyCM through Forscan and didn't have any DTC's populate.)

I have tried to find the wiring schematics for my 2022 but am coming up empty handed. Does anybody have any input to my problem or maybe knows where to find the schematics?

Mickey

View attachment 115462
Did you figure this out? I also bought used and hooked into the power tailgate. The green light on the shell flashes when clicking lock/unlock, however it has only worked on its own twice. I took it all apart this past weekend to try to identify loose connection, which a nearby dealer told me to check. Everything looked fine, guess it could be the actuator?
 
Did you figure this out? I also bought used and hooked into the power tailgate. The green light on the shell flashes when clicking lock/unlock, however it has only worked on its own twice. I took it all apart this past weekend to try to identify loose connection, which a nearby dealer told me to check. Everything looked fine, guess it could be the actuator?
I ended up taking the truck to an ARE dealer and they got it straightened out. They pulled lock/unlock signal from the drivers door wire bundle. I will get some pictures in the morning.

Mickey
 
It is the actuator in the handle, will be ordering one this week to fix. I am starting to consider parting ways with it as have found a gooseneck trailer I want which defeats the need for the shell. If anyone is looking for a star white Z Series short bed, located in Indiana.
 
Jesus...this looks amazing. hell yeah
My .02 cents. If you don't plan on crawling around on the sides of the bed, order the Bed Rug with just the floor and tail gate sections. I have that version and the sprayed in bed liner. It's a very clean install, no cutting or fitting. I have an ARE Z series cap with matching carpet headliner. I sealed the cracks around the inside of the bed with black silicone caulk. Everything inside stays very clean.

1729404992518.webp
 
Grabber - How is the fit, finish and install on your ARE Z? Any issues with the paint rub between the bottom of the topper on the bed rails? I have one on order. Any photos of fit and finish? My dealer said there will be zero paint rub when my topper is installed. He has been spot on with the last (2) I have purchased.
Thanks!
Ordered this upgraded seal for toppers weighing in over 200#. The foam shops use flattens out. This is about the best you can buy.
View attachment 5489
I installed this seal over the weekend. I can now see about 1/4" of my black plastic bedside cap. Has yours settled any upon install? Also have a nice ring around my whole bedside where the foam got weak, the dealership installed and began rubbing the paint!:mad:
 
I did not use the seal. I spent a lot of time centering mine to get it not to rub the paint on the bed. I also used a normal foam seal (nothing fancy) and used a piece of cheap 1/8 thick self adhesive carpet I had laying around at the corners of the bed by the cab to raise the cap just enough not to touch the paint.
 
I've had my Z series for 3 yrs now. Zero issues. 🍻
 
I've got a unicover simply for the fact that it's the only thing I could buy locally. The nearest leer dealer was 5 hours away. I get a bit of snow in through the back by the tailgate but I'm not sure if that's due to the tailgate or the door for the topper. It was about 3 grand and I really like it. I carry random stuff in the back and a lot of automotive tools in a decked drawer system.
1000000121.webp
 
Got my RSI Smartcap about a year and a half ago, and my roof top tent about 6 months ago (needed to get another ladder, tall truck and all). I love the shell, strong, and waterproof to a good point (no shells are perfectly tight). Been through storms rain and snow, it's great. Pain to build, easy to get up on the back end with a few friends.
Gambler- Tallgeese RTT 01.webp
Gambler- Tallgeese RTT 02.webp
Gambler- Tallgeese Inside Bed.webp
 
It's been about 10 years since I last bought a shell... paid right around $2500 for a mid level Leer. They all seem to be around $4000 now. Ouch. Leaning towards ARE, probably the CX Classic. The Leer dealer I talked to said they closed the Mexicali plant and resumed manufacturing in the USA. I was happy to hear that.
 
Leer
 

Attachments

  • Truck.webp
    Truck.webp
    230.3 KB · Views: 63
Back
Top Bottom