Whipple Installed!

Well I went ahead and ordered the ATI Crank Pin KIt, ATI Super Damper, T-40 plus bit and a ARP Crank balancer bolt. No issues on mine as of yet, just want to have take care of the issue before it becomes an ISSUE. All these links are to Jegs where I purchased them from. Thanks to Rakutan I am getting 2% back and with my c.c. another 2% back. I chose the ATI pinning kit due to the install nature of it. Instead of drilling in to the damper hub and crank together from the front you drill the snout of the crank down and pin it vertically, also if needed ATI can machine the hub for 2 pins. The damper is rebuildable and SFI approved. I will be waiting on the bolt for a bit but so it goes. Hopefully the damper shows other benefits for the cost.
Crank Pin kit
Crank Damper
T-40 Plus Bit
ARP Balancer Bolt
 
I've done two so far, and it's a fun project. I went with Fluidampr, and they also make a holding tool, which makes this project much easier to torque on the crank bolt. Yes, it looks like that ARP bolt won't ship until 5/25 and that date has improved, but that's not too far off. The A/C belt is easy to get off by using a screwdriver to start it off the bottom of the pulley, and turning the motor backwards. Ford has you cut the belt off, but this is easy and saves the belt. Getting this belt back on is more of a challenge. Ford says to use a zip tie to hold the belt on top of the rear pulley while you rotate the motor clockwise. With the OEM damper, that's easy, as there is a huge open area to run the zip tie through. ATi is like my Fluidampr, there is no opening to run a zip tie through. I removed one of the torx head bolts holding the damper halves together, and that allowed me to get a zip tie around the belt. One caution in the shop manual is that when you are rotating this AC belt on, it will get hung up on part of the oil pan and ruin the belt. It definitely tried to do that, so watch it. Dealers were probably ruining a lot of belts, so they put that caution in there. I'm hoping my iron count in the oil will go down now.

I made a homemade tool for that damn belt tensioner. If you use a 3/8 breaker bar from the top, it will wallow out that soft aluminum square hole. Without the tool I made, it's best to pull it towards the passenger side from the bottom of the truck while someone on top slips the belt off.
 
Last edited:
Ive been starting in the truck and not using remote start and I havent had the poor start problem, so the plot thickens....
 
For those with a Whipple and a single alternator, I found a Gates heavy-duty serpentine belt that is supposed to last a long time. With the Whipple being harder on the belt, I thought I'd give this a try. Gates doesn't make an HD belt in the size Whipple uses. So I went to Gate's catalog and found a belt that is just slightly shorter. You can see the measurements on the labels. It's only 39.03 on Amazon, and I just installed it, and it fits perfectly. What I did was change the adjustable pulley on the Whipple to the highest setting, and that's with the back sliding nut at the highest point. That allows this slightly shorter belt to fit easily. There is still plenty of tension, as you will see on the tensioner.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7962.webp
    IMG_7962.webp
    141.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6649.webp
    IMG_6649.webp
    206.8 KB · Views: 5
Whats the service interval on the belt?
 
Search Assist
I couldn't find a mileage, but found the following. Better heat resistance is what sold me.



The Gates FleetRunner Heavy-Duty Serpentine Belt is designed to last significantly longer than standard belts, providing superior durability and performance, especially in extreme conditions. This makes it a reliable choice for heavy-duty applications, reducing the need for frequent replacements.



Service Life Comparison: Gates FleetRunner vs. Standard Serpentine Belts​

Durability and Performance​

The Gates FleetRunner Heavy-Duty Serpentine Belt is engineered for extended service life compared to standard serpentine belts. Here’s a breakdown of the key differences:

LongevitySignificantly longerShorter lifespan
DurabilitySuperior durability in extreme conditionsAverage durability
PerformanceEnhanced performance under stressStandard performance
Replacement FrequencyLess frequent replacementsMore frequent replacements
Key Benefits of Gates FleetRunner
  • Designed for Heavy-Duty Applications: The FleetRunner belt is specifically made to handle the demands of heavy-duty use, making it ideal for commercial vehicles and fleets.
  • Reduced Downtime: With its longer service life, the FleetRunner minimizes the need for frequent replacements, which can lead to significant cost savings and less downtime.
  • Superior Materials: The belt is constructed with advanced materials that provide better heat resistance and overall performance, ensuring reliability in tough conditions.
In summary, the Gates FleetRunner Heavy-Duty Serpentine Belt offers a much longer service life and better performance than standard serpentine belts, making it a preferred choice for those needing reliability and durability in demanding environments.
 
I just installed the 5 Star tunes. You get 3 tunes, so I selected 93 performance, 91 performance tune (in case that's the highest octane I can find), and a 93 tow/haul tune. It shifts so much better. Seems like a dual clutch shift where the actual shift is faster. It's not harsh, just quicker.

I have a few questions for those who have these tunes. If the 93 performance tune is active, and you select tow/haul mode with the dial in the cab, is the tow/haul mode affected by the 93 performance, or is the original Whipple tune active? Also, if I load the 5 Star tow/haul mode in, do you leave the selector in the truck on normal?
 
I just installed the 5 Star tunes. You get 3 tunes, so I selected 93 performance, 91 performance tune (in case that's the highest octane I can find), and a 93 tow/haul tune. It shifts so much better. Seems like a dual clutch shift where the actual shift is faster. It's not harsh, just quicker.

I have a few questions for those who have these tunes. If the 93 performance tune is active, and you select tow/haul mode with the dial in the cab, is the tow/haul mode affected by the 93 performance, or is the original Whipple tune active? Also, if I load the 5 Star tow/haul mode in, do you leave the selector in the truck on normal?
Tow/haul only affects the transmission, it basically holds gears longer and downshift more aggressive on decelleration, so the engine tune remains the same.

tow/haul on 5 star, I would still use the tow/haul button for the tranny, when towing, though I use manual in tow haul; a lot because the downshift/engine braking can be AGGRESSIVE, I dont need to be at redline in 3rd on long downhills lol.

Agreed on the shifting being so much better. Also note that it actually revs out to redline and doesnt short shift. I also saw 2 more pounds of boost peak, 11 vs 9 psi.
 
Last edited:
Tow/haul only affects the transmission, it basically holds gears longer and downshift more aggressive on decelleration, so the engine tune remains the same.

tow/haul on 5 star, I would still use the tow/haul button for the tranny, when towing, though I use manual in tow haul; a lot because the downshift/engine braking can be AGGRESSIVE, I dont need to be at redline in 3rd on long downhills lol.

Agreed on the shifting being so much better. Also not that it actually revs out to redline and doesnt short shift. I also saw 2 more pounds of boost peak, 11 vs 9 psi.
Thanks for that great explanation. That makes total sense. I'll have to try the manual mode as I have a Raptor steering wheel with shift paddles.
 
HMmm I may need to order 5 star whipple tuning!
I think this would work? I have the v4 but pretty sure 5 star can do a 2 as well?

 
I ran a 3.5 inch pulley for a while.

Given how restrictive and limited the Whipple tune is, I found it. Its primary benefit was power was maintained in less than optimal conditions. Such as when it was hot out.

If running a 3.5 inch pulley on the five star tune you will likely find the injector limit
 
I ran a 3.5 inch pulley for a while.

Given how restrictive and limited the Whipple tune is, I found it. Its primary benefit was power was maintained in less than optimal conditions. Such as when it was hot out.

If running a 3.5 inch pulley on the five star tune you will likely find the injector limit
Whipple tune is hot garbage. They don't even touch the transmission. I doubt I will find the injector limit is anytime soon. Free flowing exhaust is key. We will see what 5 star comes up with. I have been in touch with 5 star and they are down to clown. Let's. Fucking. Goooooooooo.
 
Well, after 8 months of hell (cancer) I decided to take the easy route and get rid of my Dually and buy a sleeper, 2026 F150 XL as basic and unassuming as you can get. Found what I wanted with the 2 options I wanted, 5.0 Coyote and 4X4…..and a dealer installed 6.0 stage 2 Whipple for 710 HP.

Steel rims, painted bumpers and little street tires. Complete with orange cones in the back to finish off the work truck look.

IMG_9454.webp


IMG_6064.webp
 
Well, after 8 months of hell (cancer) I decided to take the easy route and get rid of my Dually and buy a sleeper, 2026 F150 XL as basic and unassuming as you can get. Found what I wanted with the 2 options I wanted, 5.0 Coyote and 4X4…..and a dealer installed 6.0 stage 2 Whipple for 710 HP.

Steel rims, painted bumpers and little street tires. Complete with orange cones in the back to finish off the work truck look.

View attachment 261024

View attachment 261023
I'm hoping you've kicked cancer's ass and wishing you stay in remission. Single cab trucks are awesome and we don't see enough of them out there anymore.

Oh, and if you haven't stopped by there already, check out the F150Tremor.com forum.
 
My previous truck was an Oz Tuned Whipple (Stage 3) 4x4 crew Cab Lariat F150 - stock appearance, wheels, tires, etc
975HP - Ran 10.9@127 MPH - I miss that truck!
 
The 5.0 is an absolute monster enjoy it. If you’ve got some $$ to play with for blower setups most of its competitors are a waste of time, the ability to change the valve overlap on the fly etc makes it a better boost engine than any LS or Hemi.

The bottom end holds together too, you can’t get a 5.7 to hold rods in the block much past 600 HP.
 
Back
Top Bottom