-
Featured
- #541
I like the blue alotI love the blue!
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I like the blue alotI love the blue!
That’s the dilemma, right? Is the fun worth the cost?I can see the benefit of the Whipple and I would like to have that low end torque and the benefit when pulling something never mind the shear fun of punching it. I have already installed the Transfer Flow tank which I really like. The cost of the Whipple, the ongoing increased cost of running 93 octane gas, and the increased maintenance of spark plugs and wires (I already do my oil changes at 5k miles or less) and then things like pinning the crank, the extra cost to have a tune other than Whipple's to see the real benefit, and the many hassles some of you have had I would question for myself if it is really worth it at the end. I truly miss the torque from my F150 with the 3.5EB for sure. I am planning on adding a second battery with OEM parts and that will probably be close to $2k along with many other upgrades. But I can see the benefit. For me I'm tending to think I will have to contemplate it further before I would drop another $12k to $15k. It is the cost of adding the 6.7L HOPS. I get it that there is a higher maintenance cost with the 6.7. But it looks like one is having to lay out at least the same cost and that is if you are installing the Whipple yourself. And then you have to deal with the warranty issues that could arise with the dealer. Just some musings after reading through this whole thread which I agree with many who have done this, this thread is really a great benefit if one decides to put the Whipple on. It is a wealth of knowledge and I thank the OP for starting it. His ongoing posts are priceless!
All your points are valid. Probably premature but congratulations on your 4th. I hope all goes well for your wife and 4th child through the process. i'm waiting for my 8th grandkid to come into this world!That’s the dilemma, right? Is the fun worth the cost?
Nobody is putting a Whipple on a 7.3 for towing performance — that’s just a bonus. The 7.3 already tows perfectly well stock. If your real goal is more towing power, the 6.7 is the obvious answer.
The Whipple is for the sound. The power-to-weight ratio of a forced-induction large-displacement gasser. The instant torque. The absurdity of a one-ton truck (or 3/4-ton for the ladies) leaving the line like it has no business doing that.
A Whipple will never pencil out. That’s just the way it is. But if you plan on keeping the truck long term and can afford the added operating costs, it will sting a lot less. I’ve spent more time ruminating on this than I care to admit, and it always boils down to one question. Is the fun worth the cost? That’s it.
I decided to wait until my powertrain warranty is up. Won’t be much longer at this point, and with my fourth kid making his entrance, I won’t have time to do the install for a while anyway. At that point, I’ll revisit whether we’re close enough to needing a diesel that I just skip it and put the money into my Bronco instead. The Bronco would be WAY more fun with a Whippled 7.3 in it anyway. That or put the money toward a Cherokee Six or C210.
Anyway, stuck in the hospital so I’ve got time to think about all this![]()
Thank you and congrats on the grandkids!All your points are valid. Probably premature but congratulations on your 4th. I hope all goes well for your wife and 4th child through the process. i'm waiting for my 8th grandkid to come into this world!
I would love to see the 7.3 with a Whipple in a Bronco! That would be fun for sure. My youngest son almost purchased a Bronco and he wanted the stick but as he read more he opted for something totally 180 degrees out and went with a Type S Integra. He loves it!
Present and accounted for!or 3/4-ton for the ladies![]()
stuck in the hospital so I’ve got time to think about all this
There is not a very good cost argument for this vs the diesel. I will tell you however this truck smokes the F150 EB's by a truck length or two from 0 - 80MPH. When you cruise down the highway empty, it just sits in 10th gear humming along, even going up fairly steep grades. It accelerates and is significantly more responsive than my 17 6.7L.I can see the benefit of the Whipple and I would like to have that low end torque and the benefit when pulling something never mind the shear fun of punching it. I have already installed the Transfer Flow tank which I really like. The cost of the Whipple, the ongoing increased cost of running 93 octane gas, and the increased maintenance of spark plugs and wires (I already do my oil changes at 5k miles or less) and then things like pinning the crank, the extra cost to have a tune other than Whipple's to see the real benefit, and the many hassles some of you have had I would question for myself if it is really worth it at the end. I truly miss the torque from my F150 with the 3.5EB for sure. I am planning on adding a second battery with OEM parts and that will probably be close to $2k along with many other upgrades. But I can see the benefit. For me I'm tending to think I will have to contemplate it further before I would drop another $12k to $15k. It is the cost of adding the 6.7L HOPS. I get it that there is a higher maintenance cost with the 6.7. But it looks like one is having to lay out at least the same cost and that is if you are installing the Whipple yourself. And then you have to deal with the warranty issues that could arise with the dealer. Just some musings after reading through this whole thread which I agree with many who have done this, this thread is really a great benefit if one decides to put the Whipple on. It is a wealth of knowledge and I thank the OP for starting it. His ongoing posts are priceless!
I appreciate the input and your documenting all that you have done on this thread, along with all the others who have not only attempted but succeded, is one of the biggest advantages and reasons in my mind for even thinking about attempting this. I would love to have a ride in a Whippled 7.3 F350 just to experience it! I am sure that would make me want to do it all the more.There is not a very good cost argument for this vs the diesel. I will tell you however this truck smokes the F150 EB's by a truck length or two from 0 - 80MPH. When you cruise down the highway empty, it just sits in 10th gear humming along, even going up fairly steep grades. It accelerates and is significantly more responsive than my 17 6.7L.
The maintenance is not that big of a deal; I tend to overdo it. For example the spark plugs really could go 30 - 40k - 50k miles and the wires could probably go that long as well. The belt is still in great shape after 25k miles, so it can probably go 50k. The pinning of the crank looks like it is provided in all the new kits and that is the only real failure I have experienced on this truck due to the supercharger. My kit was one of the very early kits that shipped out for these trucks and I have communicated many times with Whipple on the issues and updated the status with them. Based on the posts in this group, it looks like Whipple has been adjusting and updating their kit to pre-empt some of these challenges. I am also running the stock Whipple Tune, and although not perfect, it performs well.
There are ways to reduce the upfront costs, but you need to be patient for Whipple to have a sale (usually 1 - 2 times a year for a day or two with 15 -25% off) and do the installation yourself. I have built a spreadsheet with parts cross-references to instruction steps (for 2022 model), as well as a detailed list of tools and consumables needed. It looks daunting and is a lot of work, but I have done many more problematic and challenging mods to boats and side by sides. My installation was probably ~$400 or less in spark plugs, fluid and consumables.
This truck is by far the most fun to drive that I have owned, and people who ride along are impressed by how quickly it accelerates for its size... it goes from 50mph to 90mph quickly and effortlessly. The Whipple whine does get some getting used to, but to be honest, I rarely even notice it anymore.
To your point, it is HARD to justify the cost/benefit vs the diesel, however, assuming my next truck (which will be a while) is a 7.3L, then there will be another Whipple sitting on top day one.
This is exactly where I'm at now. Yeah, it would be badass to DD a Whippled 7.3 CCLB, but I could probably have a lot more fun shoe-horning one into a fox-body Mustang or swapping my Bronco. I don't recall who raised it during one of the earlier discussions on this, but it was one of the more valid arguments I'd heard against it...there are more fun things to put one in.Is the juice worth the squeeze? It would be, if I had purchased my truck for that kind of thing!
I have almost 575 hp from a 408 Windsor in my fox body. I can't imagine a whippled 7.3 with a stick in there. No road around me to really appreciate the raggedness of that combo.This is exactly where I'm at now. Yeah, it would be badass to DD a Whippled 7.3 CCLB, but I could probably have a lot more fun shoe-horning one into a fox-body Mustang or swapping my Bronco. I don't recall who raised it during one of the earlier discussions on this, but it was one of the more valid arguments I'd heard against it...there are more fun things to put one in.
550ish from my 2.5L turbo Subaru!I have almost 575 hp from a 408 Windsor in my fox body. I can't imagine a whippled 7.3 with a stick in there. No road around me to really appreciate the raggedness of that combo.
Here is a place that appears to have the ARP bolt.What bolt do you plan to use with the pinning kit?
My pinning kit came in last week and the ARP bolt was supposed to ship yesterday. I received an email this morning stating that it is now scheduled to ship May 28. I can't find anyone that has it in stock and do not see the point of using a stock bolt even though it is a fraction of the price.
Maybe you got the last ARP bolt around. The source you shared now shows sold out. The wait continues.............Here is a place that appears to have the ARP bolt.
I just ordered the bolt from them, so I'll find out if it really is in stock.![]()
ARP 258-2501 Ford Godzilla 7.3L ARP2000 Harmonic Damper Bolt Kit
Buy ARP 258-2501 Ford Godzilla 7.3L ARP2000 Harmonic Damper Bolt Kit At Fast Track Auto. Serving the Performance Parts Industry for over 50 Years! Access to Thousands of Parts and Hundreds of Brands, Free Shipping Available!shopfasttrack.com
I'm also ordering a Fluidampr 750201 crank damper. Much better than the OEM rubber-isolated HB. I've already seen a broken crank snout on the forums. I got to call them this morning to verify a few things. This is an easy install as our cranks are internally balanced. Summit and Jegs have the best price I've found. My pin kit comes today.
![]()
NEW - Fluidampr announces damper for Ford Godzilla 7.3L engine • Fluidampr - Manufacturer of Performance Dampers For Gas & Diesel Engines
Fluidampr announces the release of the new Ford Godzilla 7.3L engine performance damper. Part number 750201 fits 2020+ 7.3L Ford Super Duty Trucks, 2021+ E- Series Vans & Crate Enginefluidampr.com
For the Godzilla, we need a special bolt to install the HB, as the threads are deep in the crank, and we need an extra-long bolt/tool to install it. This place has it, along with a great puller/installer kit.
![]()
7.3L Ford Godzilla Crankshaft Damper Install Adapter
innovatorswest.com
Also, putting a new compressor belt on since they are cheap and have to be removed anyway. PN: PC3Z-8620C. Also, a new front crank seal PN: GK2Z-6700D.
I'm posting all this in case someone else may want to do this. I figure I'll have it almost torn down all the way, might as well upgrade the damper.