Tell me about your favorite whiskey or bourbon

any of those that you recommend out of Canada specifically?
 
any of those that you recommend out of Canada specifically?
By far the best whiskey coming out of Canada is from Found North. The brothers that run the brand have access to some really, really old barrels and are wizards at blending. The challenge is finding bottles and few stores carry them and any release from them sells out (sometimes in seconds).

If K&L wine merchants has two 12 year store picks from them that would be good bottles to grab and are a great deal at $99 each. They don't ship out of CA, so would need to have a friend there that could get them and ship to you.
 
By far the best whiskey coming out of Canada is from Found North. The brothers that run the brand have access to some really, really old barrels and are wizards at blending. The challenge is finding bottles and few stores carry them and any release from them sells out (sometimes in seconds).

If K&L wine merchants has two 12 year store picks from them that would be good bottles to grab and are a great deal at $99 each. They don't ship out of CA, so would need to have a friend there that could get them and ship to you.
I need friends north of the boarder! I scored a bottle of found north earlier this year. It was very good.
 
Well I found one of my holy grail bottles! I can’t wait to try it!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7456.webp
    IMG_7456.webp
    268.8 KB · Views: 24
I think the best way is to shop some of the border town stores if they have online purchase available. I believe the link i posted above they do ship globally if I'm not mistaken? They have lots of interesting spirits and its locally harvested ingredients 👍

Small batch distilleries are the best though to have something unique to try out I think. The more mass production stuff tends to all end up being similar to an extent.
 
Wife and I spent the day out of the house driving around northern Idaho and northeastern Washington. Stopped in a few liquor stores along the way and picked up some goodies. The Elijah Craig 18 is a little on the lower proof for my normal, but everything I found about it was positive and the Grand Teton seemed nice - 2014 barrel and 100 proof, bottled at 8 years. I enjoy the Freemont Dark Star, so when I can find it, I grab a bottle or four 😁 Oh, and lunch at Kelly's in Newport never disappoints.

20251129_162051.webp

cdd0d1a6-1239-4ff8-9243-4931e502b04a.webp
 
Wife and I spent the day out of the house driving around northern Idaho and northeastern Washington. Stopped in a few liquor stores along the way and picked up some goodies. The Elijah Craig 18 is a little on the lower proof for my normal, but everything I found about it was positive and the Grand Teton seemed nice - 2014 barrel and 100 proof, bottled at 8 years.

View attachment 236988
Spent the evening celebrating our friend's 6 year anniversary for their beer and cider place. About a dozen of us stayed for the "after party" and I took the Grand Teton. Very smooth and enjoyable, everyone, even the guy that prefers Scotch, had nothing but good things to say. Needless to say, it met its demise last night 😁
 
Sharing in case anyone might be interested. A club I'm in has some extra bottles....

River Roots "Feels Like Warm Apple Pie​

Nose: Soft floral notes layered with baked apples, graham cracker, and a hint of cinnamon against a background of rye.

Palate: Opens sweet and silky, showing floral honey and crisp tart apples before deepening into toffee, vanilla, and a sprinkle of nutmeg. A rye spice underpins it throughout.

Finish: Medium in length with pleasing viscosity. Warm baking spices linger, evoking the comfort of fresh apple pie.

 
A few bottles came in this week. Excited about all three.

The Found North just released and as you can imagine sold out the same day. It's is:
- 50% 2015 vintage rye
- 5% 22 year rye in ex-bourbon
- 28% 15 year corn aged in new wood
- 10% 22 year corn in ex-bourbon
- 6% 15 year corn in ex-bourbon
- 1% 20 year corn in ex-bourbon

Which was then aged 4 months in a selection of charred American oak and toasted French and European oak casks that held ruby, rosé, and white ports. From there they included a corn blend of 22 year corn aged in new American oak combined with 26 year corn aged in Hungarian oak. Lastly, a blend of two separate vintages of 19 year corn aged in ex-bourbon to round out the profile.

Early reviews on this Found North bottle demonstrates the beauty of blends - bringing layers of flavors that evolve as the whiskey oxygenates over time in the glass.

Separately, River Roots is bottling some great barrels and, for older bourbon and ryes, these are at really reasonable price points. This hazmat bourbon was just shy of 14 years old and was likely distilled by Barton. I've taken a liking to older Barton barrels with the 18 year ones bringing distinct raspberry notes. This bottle is also unfortunately sold out.

I posted a link the last bottle a few days ago and there seem to be some left of this 14.75 year 95/5 rye that brings notes of grandma's apple pie. We have really gotten on the rye bandwagen the last couple of years as our early experiences with rye whiskey were not great as overly herbal, vegetable pours that I equated to juiced lawn clippings. Since then we've found amazing ryes that surpasses some of the higher end bourbons we have in taste.

If you're interested in a bottle of this rye, here is a link.

1000027565.webp
 
I've had a bunch of people asking me for good bottles that might replicate Tremor Reserve I. I'm curious if anyone has tried the following bottle that made the top 20 this year from Whiskey Advocate. Wheat whiskies are a relatively uncommon mashbill (compared to wheated bourbons), so figure one will eventually get us close to what we liked about that barrel.

Their review: Bold and well-spiced, this Ohio wheat whiskey delivers scents of nutmeg, cinnamon powder, black pepper, crème brûlée, and a lick of black coffee right out of the gate. The palate is hot, hot, hot and intensely flavorful, as more burnt sugar is joined by toasted marshmallow, vanilla meringue, caramel apple, and numbing peppercorn. Sweeter notes prevail on the finish as the spice subsides, making way for vanilla saltwater taffy, more marshmallow, and caramel latte—a real treat.

Middle West Cask Strength (Batch 1)
 
Back
Top Bottom