Tell me about your favorite whiskey or bourbon

Today's arrival from the UPS man 😁

20251215_180142.webp
 
I tend to drink a lot of Blantons but it is getting increasingly difficult to find. I’d love to know what whiskey or bourbon you enjoy drinking and if you have any recommendations that you’d like to share with our group. As always, thank you for your insight and knowledge.
After 72 years, I quit drinking!! Best thing I ever did in my life !! Do not miss one Drop !!
 
So my whiskey collection has a lot of the big names most people go after and many bottles that are off the beaten path. I like to think I have an explorer's approach to building my collection, willing to acquire bottles that are different or uncommon.

I just added a bottle from Charbay American Whiskey to the collection today. Charbay American Whiskey, pioneered by Marko Karakasevic (apparently a 13th generation distiller), is known for its innovative approach with whiskey distilled from craft beers like Bear Republic's stout, offering complex notes of malt, spice, hops, and chocolate, aging in French oak for rich, full-bodied profiles. They utilize alembic pot stills for flavor concentration, producing distinctive, aromatic spirits that bridge the gap between beer and whiskey, appealing to both craft beer and whiskey enthusiasts with their bright, spicy, and fruity characteristics.

Unlike traditional whiskey, Charbay often distills directly from finished, drinkable craft beers (like pilsners or stouts) rather than just mash, retaining beer flavors. So I'd place this more into the category of American Single Malts, although they use both malt and barley to distill, so not truly a single malt product. Its an interesting twist on this category of whiskey. Examples of their products:
  • Charbay S Hop Flavored Whiskey: From Bear Republic stout, aged in French oak, with notes of hop, dark malt, bitter chocolate, and spice.
  • Charbay R5: Another popular release, known for its distinct, beer-derived character.
The particular bottle I acquired is a unique 2 barrel blend, but they're not clear as to the details of the barrels that went into the blend. the result is a whopping 151.2 proof.

Tasting Notes from the folks at Seelbach's: The nose opens with chocolate malt balls and orange zest. It's bright with nice spiced notes of white pepper and toasted nutmeg. There are no hints of the high proof on the nose. On the palate, flavors intensify significantly. There are notes of orange creamsicle, cardamom, and toasted coconut. The heat comes through. But, it's so developed in flavor that it doesn't overpower. The funkier notes start to pop with vegetal and sticky bun on the back palate. The finish is long! A reminder of the proof transitions to black tea, oak, and fermented mash. It's a complex whiskey that has you chasing new notes every time you take a sip.

Not sure when I'll crack this one open, but it sounds like I'm in for quite a ride when I do. Cheers!

1000027662.webp
 
So my whiskey collection has a lot of the big names most people go after and many bottles that are off the beaten path. I like to think I have an explorer's approach to building my collection, willing to acquire bottles that are different or uncommon.

I just added a bottle from Charbay American Whiskey to the collection today. Charbay American Whiskey, pioneered by Marko Karakasevic (apparently a 13th generation distiller), is known for its innovative approach with whiskey distilled from craft beers like Bear Republic's stout, offering complex notes of malt, spice, hops, and chocolate, aging in French oak for rich, full-bodied profiles. They utilize alembic pot stills for flavor concentration, producing distinctive, aromatic spirits that bridge the gap between beer and whiskey, appealing to both craft beer and whiskey enthusiasts with their bright, spicy, and fruity characteristics.

Unlike traditional whiskey, Charbay often distills directly from finished, drinkable craft beers (like pilsners or stouts) rather than just mash, retaining beer flavors. So I'd place this more into the category of American Single Malts, although they use both malt and barley to distill, so not truly a single malt product. Its an interesting twist on this category of whiskey. Examples of their products:
  • Charbay S Hop Flavored Whiskey: From Bear Republic stout, aged in French oak, with notes of hop, dark malt, bitter chocolate, and spice.
  • Charbay R5: Another popular release, known for its distinct, beer-derived character.
The particular bottle I acquired is a unique 2 barrel blend, but they're not clear as to the details of the barrels that went into the blend. the result is a whopping 151.2 proof.

Tasting Notes from the folks at Seelbach's: The nose opens with chocolate malt balls and orange zest. It's bright with nice spiced notes of white pepper and toasted nutmeg. There are no hints of the high proof on the nose. On the palate, flavors intensify significantly. There are notes of orange creamsicle, cardamom, and toasted coconut. The heat comes through. But, it's so developed in flavor that it doesn't overpower. The funkier notes start to pop with vegetal and sticky bun on the back palate. The finish is long! A reminder of the proof transitions to black tea, oak, and fermented mash. It's a complex whiskey that has you chasing new notes every time you take a sip.

Not sure when I'll crack this one open, but it sounds like I'm in for quite a ride when I do. Cheers!

View attachment 239428
I have had the Charbray Racer 5 IPA based whiskey. It is rather interesting and the hop aromas and flavor definitely come through. I am not sure they would qualify as American Single Malt whiskey though since they are technically produced in two separate facilities - the brewery and then the distillery. They are definitely an interesting take on American whiskey though. I need to look for the stout version; that sounds good.
 
Had these guys recently and loved it

Someone just got a bottle of that for our bar ahem, training room, at work. I only tried a sample, but that was after many other samples. Need to give it a try with a fresh palette and will report back!
 
Gift from a neighbor after their road trip to MT to get their truck registered. Kidding about the last part TAX MAN!
It's not bad. The finish is sort of underwhelming, but the taste is mild and woody.
1766192269125.webp
 
Picked up this one today. I’m figuring it will be a good one to take back and share with family over Christmas.
IMG_4733.webp
 
Picked up this one today. I’m figuring it will be a good one to take back and share with family over Christmas. View attachment 239704
I eyeballed that one last weekend as they had a few bottles in the Costco premium section, but had already spent my bourbon allowance for the week and they arrived early.

8abcc7eb-79e6-47ba-a6f5-737e41d939d9.webp
 
Stopped at the Whiskey Blendery today....not too bad of a day. Two 18 year Barton bottles, a solera project bottle, bottle of the month, and another one I ordered. 😁

1000027708.webp
 
Stopped at the Whiskey Blendery today....not too bad of a day. Two 18 year Barton bottles, a solera project bottle, bottle of the month, and another one I ordered. 😁

View attachment 239720
These photos are starting to make me think you have a makeshift liquor store in your house haha! (Jealous... 😆) those ones look tasty!
 
These photos are starting to make me think you have a makeshift liquor store in your house haha! (Jealous... 😆) those ones look tasty!
Lol... Yeah, my home office feels like that. 🤪🤣😂
 
So my whiskey collection has a lot of the big names most people go after and many bottles that are off the beaten path. I like to think I have an explorer's approach to building my collection, willing to acquire bottles that are different or uncommon.

I just added a bottle from Charbay American Whiskey to the collection today. Charbay American Whiskey, pioneered by Marko Karakasevic (apparently a 13th generation distiller), is known for its innovative approach with whiskey distilled from craft beers like Bear Republic's stout, offering complex notes of malt, spice, hops, and chocolate, aging in French oak for rich, full-bodied profiles. They utilize alembic pot stills for flavor concentration, producing distinctive, aromatic spirits that bridge the gap between beer and whiskey, appealing to both craft beer and whiskey enthusiasts with their bright, spicy, and fruity characteristics.

Unlike traditional whiskey, Charbay often distills directly from finished, drinkable craft beers (like pilsners or stouts) rather than just mash, retaining beer flavors. So I'd place this more into the category of American Single Malts, although they use both malt and barley to distill, so not truly a single malt product. Its an interesting twist on this category of whiskey. Examples of their products:
  • Charbay S Hop Flavored Whiskey: From Bear Republic stout, aged in French oak, with notes of hop, dark malt, bitter chocolate, and spice.
  • Charbay R5: Another popular release, known for its distinct, beer-derived character.
The particular bottle I acquired is a unique 2 barrel blend, but they're not clear as to the details of the barrels that went into the blend. the result is a whopping 151.2 proof.

Tasting Notes from the folks at Seelbach's: The nose opens with chocolate malt balls and orange zest. It's bright with nice spiced notes of white pepper and toasted nutmeg. There are no hints of the high proof on the nose. On the palate, flavors intensify significantly. There are notes of orange creamsicle, cardamom, and toasted coconut. The heat comes through. But, it's so developed in flavor that it doesn't overpower. The funkier notes start to pop with vegetal and sticky bun on the back palate. The finish is long! A reminder of the proof transitions to black tea, oak, and fermented mash. It's a complex whiskey that has you chasing new notes every time you take a sip.

Not sure when I'll crack this one open, but it sounds like I'm in for quite a ride when I do. Cheers!

View attachment 239428
Ok, so this past weekend my curiosity got the best of me and I decided to give this bottle a try, sharing it with a few friends and the team at The Whiskey Blendery. So this bottle is 151.2 proof and it doesn't drink like it (blind I'd put it 115 - 120 proof). The flavor is not like any whiskey I've ever tried. That's probably because the effective mash bill is barley and hops, but this is no American Single Malt or like any Scotch, Irish, Japanese or Indian whiskey I've ever tried. Being distilled from a beer or ale, you get this almost effervescent texture on the palate - no bubbles in the glass, but yet feels like it is carbonated. The hops profile is up front and lets you know its there. For those who are familiar with weed, they said it gave them a lot of that similar funk. Reactions to the pour were all over the place with some just amazed at how different it was, others finding a lot of the flavors in the tasting notes, and a few flat out didn't like it. For me, it was a really unusual pour - not bad by any means, but not one I would make a daily drinker. Something to reach for when you want to take your palate on a journey to unfamiliar territory and see what comes out of it.
 
What are y'all's thoughts on Old Carter? Have only tried their bourbon once and was able to snag a bottle of their most recent rye release. The brand seems to have a cult following with some releases being rated as amazing, while others seem to be a bit all over the place (ranging from good to great).

1000027716.webp
 
Back
Top Bottom