S&B 60 gal tank

Thank guys. I like the uneven and temperature theories. Maybe I’ll go to the station in the morning and use a different spot. See if it takes a few more gallons. (I barely went 2 miles since the fill up)

Here’s a few pics of how a stock 34 gal tank looked under my F350 then a S&B 60 gal I installed. Hangs about 1” 3/4 lower. View attachment 49005

@GT350 - I saw this photo of your installation and what immediately caught my attention was how tucked up and flush your skid plate is against the tank. Maybe it was a flattering angle in the photo? Maybe I got a wonky plate?

Here's mine.

Attachments

• IMG_0108.jpeg
    IMG_0108.jpeg
    539.9 KB · Views: 32
My DTE was 900.

But since that bad boy was empty, I know it only took 56 gallons. Like always I waited a minute after the auto shutoff, and kept going. Then again. Then again. About the 10th time I just figured I was asking for a mess so I stopped.
the ambient temperature will cause the fuel to expand (or contract if cold) depending on when it was delivered, about 1percent per 15 degrees, still don't see a 4-5 gallon variation. Maybe, there was a slight incline and some got trapped in?
I've spoken to S&B about this, there will be casting anomalies with the nature of the HDPE tank but all tanks are engineered to hold at least the 60gals. Keep an eye on it though, I had similar odd ball readings that showed up fairly early on and come to find out the tank installer fkd up the sending unit and the float wouldn't sweep like it should have. It's damn near pure luck I never ran out. I have a few posts asking this group about the volume of tank. I could put 60gals in at an 1/8th a tank with 100mi dte. Now it reads pretty nuts on with the new unit in place.

This is a picture of my unit after Leadfoot dove into the issue and ultimately replaced it with a new OEM unit. I quote "I knew something was fucked up when I popped the lock ring loose and the top didnt pop up, after about 10 minutes I fished out all the springs and guts; don't ever go to that shop again, you should've known better"....
1718111099701.png

Thank guys. I like the uneven and temperature theories. Maybe I’ll go to the station in the morning and use a different spot. See if it takes a few more gallons. (I barely went 2 miles since the fill up)

I went back to the QT this morning around 9:30am. So not early, but not the heat of the day either. I noted that the pump/pad I chose two days back sloped downward slightly (so my truck was lower in the rear-end). I chose a different pump/pad that looked level with the eyeball test and the offroad screen in the dash showed level.

The tank took an additional 4.178 gallons!

Now I ended up driving 16 miles total on the trip from the previous full up. That's in-town driving, so I'll call that 1 gallon down. So my math looks like (~56 - 1 + 4.178) puts me in the ballpark of 60 gallons. Close enough for gov't work.

Two additional things I noted this morning:

(1) same station, price jump from Sunday is $3.129/gal -> $3.399/gal
(2) those additional 4 gals made no change in the float level - no change in dash fill level nor DTE

I went back to the QT this morning around 9:30am. So not early, but not the heat of the day either. I noted that the pump/pad I chose two days back sloped downward slightly (so my truck was lower in the rear-end). I chose a different pump/pad that looked level with the eyeball test and the offroad screen in the dash showed level.

Now I ended up driving 16 miles total on the trip from the previous full up. That's in-town driving, so I'll call that 1 gallon down. So my math looks like (~56 - 1 + 4.178) puts me in the ballpark of 60 gallons. Close enough for gov't work.

(2) those additional 4 gals made no change in the float level - no change in dash fill level nor DTE
Your DTE will actually increase as you drive some after that fill up.

The S&B holds a lot of fuel well above the range of the float arm. Remember the factory pump/pickup and arm sweep are lower than stock down in the tank. Your "half tank" is actually more like 5/8 maybe as high as 3/4 tank now. I can run 2-300mi before I ever see the fuel level change. It's wild bc one minute you'll see 800mi DTE and after some time of driving you might look back at it and it'll read 900mi dte lol.

Your DTE will actually increase as you drive some after that fill up.
On a recent trip we towed 36' 5th wheel up to St. Anthony's about 1,000 miles - 7.9 MPG - filled up - unhooked the trailer and went up to Yellowstone for the day - when we left it said 402 miles - when we got to Yellowstone 76 miles away it said 609 - we drove 50 +/- miles through Yellowstone and it went down to 591 - then we drove the 76 miles back and when we arrived it said 691 miles to empty! so we drove 200 miles - went from 402 to 691.

Anybody install a S&B in a 2024 - if so have you been able to adjust your fuel gallons with Forscan? A shop I work with was able to do so in my 2022. My buddy just got a 2024 - and put in the 68 gallon tank today (not a tremor) - so wondering if there is a Forscan solution for changing the tank size?

Thx in advance for any input.

On a recent trip we towed 36' 5th wheel up to St. Anthony's about 1,000 miles - 7.9 MPG - filled up - unhooked the trailer and went up to Yellowstone for the day - when we left it said 402 miles - when we got to Yellowstone 76 miles away it said 609 - we drove 50 +/- miles through Yellowstone and it went down to 591 - then we drove the 76 miles back and when we arrived it said 691 miles to empty! so we drove 200 miles - went from 402 to 691.

Anybody install a S&B in a 2024 - if so have you been able to adjust your fuel gallons with Forscan? A shop I work with was able to do so in my 2022. My buddy just got a 2024 - and put in the 68 gallon tank today (not a tremor) - so wondering if there is a Forscan solution for changing the tank size?

Thx in advance for any input.
No forscan fixes yet. I seem to remember you could trick it into thinking you had the extended tank from a long bed or 450, but not the actual 60 gallon tank.

No forscan fixes yet. I seem to remember you could trick it into thinking you had the extended tank from a long bed or 450, but not the actual 60 gallon tank.
The reason your DTE increased once you unhooked and drove a few miles was because your MPG increased, therefore you could go further on the fuel you currently had.

This forum is a REALLY bad influence. I ended up ordering a S&B tank for my new ride. Hope to have it installed next Friday. Now to go buy a cheap laptop so that I can use FORScan (damn Windows-based programs) to update the DTE and do some other things.

This forum is a REALLY bad influence. I ended up ordering a S&B tank for my new ride. Hope to have it installed next Friday. Now to go buy a cheap laptop so that I can use FORScan (damn Windows-based programs) to update the DTE and do some other things.
Apparently there is some app that you can run on your Mac for Forscan. Google should tell you

Apparently there is some app that you can run on your Mac for Forscan. Google should tell you
From my limited research, I would have to run it on some Windows platform from my Mac. Easier to just buy a cheap used laptop to do it so I don't f-up my computer and it'll save me some brain cells.

S&B includes stuff so you can reuse the factory skid plate.
So shot me in the face for just noticing this but my mechanic never installed the full skid plate because he said it wouldn't "fit."

That skid plate I ended up trashing since it wasn't "usable".....

He installed a tiny piece of it over the front portion of the tank which is all he was able to make fit.

Looks like someone will be ordering me a new skid plate along with the accessories from S&B and that someone ain't me.

So shot me in the face for just noticing this but my mechanic never installed the full skid plate because he said it wouldn't "fit."

He installed a tiny piece of it over the front portion of the tank which is all he was able to make fit.

Looks like someone will be ordering me a new skid plate along with the accessories from S&B and that someone ain't me.
The front portion comes from S&B, the OEM goes back on, fits perfectly with the extended brackets from S&B!

The front portion comes from S&B, the OEM goes back on, fits perfectly with the extended brackets from S&B!
He caught an earful.

Not pleased to say the least and his fees aren't cheap.

Thanks guys - this forum is more than what you can get ever get at a shop.

Buy an EZ Link or S&B will send you one for a $500 deposit. 😀

As far as I know, there still is no DTE fix for MY23+. If there is now, I will be very happy.

Bummer. I guess your guy can't read instructions or watch videos from S&B. The instructions are clear and the skid plate instal is the easiest part of the processes.

Back