DTX2023Tremor's Money Pit Build and other miscellaneous topics

@DTX2023Tremor @Rodd187 @modified @Sludgemonkey44

I just created a placeholder product listing for the hitch tube end covers. You can sign up on the notification list. After I print the sets up, I will post inventory. Still waiting on the N52 magnets to come in.

It says for '17-22 simply because I need a confirmation that Ford didn't change anything of the hitch tube. Confident they didn't, but still lol.

I added my email to the list. Have you tried your prototype on a 2.5" hitch? I seem to recall the push in plugs that work in my hitch were too small for a 3" receiver...
 
I added my email to the list. Have you tried your prototype on a 2.5" hitch? I seem to recall the push in plugs that work in my hitch were too small for a 3" receiver...
A little confused, do you mean the actual receiver, or the end tube portion? His '23 was able to fit Amazon mallet-type caps that also worked for my '22 hitch tube. My '22 is the 3" variant and '23s are 2.5" all around now.
 
A little confused, do you mean the actual receiver, or the end tube portion? His '23 was able to fit Amazon mallet-type caps that also worked for my '22 hitch tube.
End tubes. I bought a set of 10 caps a few years back. They fit in the end tubes of my 2.5" hitch just fine. I thought they were too loose on the end tubes of a 3" hitch. @Vermonster am I not remembering correctly?
 
End tubes. I bought a set of 10 caps a few years back. They fit in the end tubes of my 2.5" hitch just fine. I thought they were too loose on the end tubes of a 3" hitch. @Vermonster am I not remembering correctly?
Oh, there definitely is variation in the various Amazon caps/McMaster caps that were posted in that one thread, but nothing extreme like 0.2" variation I don't recall. As long as the steel tube stock used by Ford is the same, should be ok.
 
Oh, there definitely is variation in the various Amazon caps/McMaster caps that were posted in that one thread, but nothing extreme like 0.2" variation I don't recall. As long as the steel tube stock used by Ford is the same, should be ok.
Bronco, do you remember your very first set?
 
End tubes. I bought a set of 10 caps a few years back. They fit in the end tubes of my 2.5" hitch just fine. I thought they were too loose on the end tubes of a 3" hitch. @Vermonster am I not remembering correctly?
You’re right. 3” is what I bought. I could not really get a set to work because my receiver was not perfectly square. 😞
 
@DTX2023Tremor @Rodd187 @modified @Sludgemonkey44

I just created a placeholder product listing for the hitch tube end covers. You can sign up on the notification list. After I print the sets up, I will post inventory. Still waiting on the N52 magnets to come in.

It says for '17-22 simply because I need a confirmation that Ford didn't change anything of the hitch tube. Confident they didn't, but still lol.


@DTX2023Tremor @Rodd187 @modified @Sludgemonkey44

I just created a placeholder product listing for the hitch tube end covers. You can sign up on the notification list. After I print the sets up, I will post inventory. Still waiting on the N52 magnets to come in.

It says for '17-22 simply because I need a confirmation that Ford didn't change anything of the hitch tube. Confident they didn't, but still lol.

Ford has 3 different spec sizes for that tube
19k,21k & 24k are different
 
Ford has 3 different spec sizes for that tube
19k,21k & 24k are different
Are the dimensions in the Ford body builder advisory service book? I mostly only care about outer dimensions of tube.
 
Are the dimensions in the Ford body builder advisory service book? I mostly only care about outer dimensions of tube.
The exterior dimensions are the same. The wall thickness is the variable.. so the ID shrinks as you go up in hitch capacity. 19k has the smallest wall thickness so that is the largest ID.. and ID shrinks as you go to 21k and then to 24k

All external dimensions are the same on 17-24

The 11-16 has a 3” and a 2.5” , but not the +17
 
The exterior dimensions are the same. The wall thickness is the variable.. so the ID shrinks as you go up in hitch capacity. 19k has the smallest wall thickness so that is the largest ID.. and ID shrinks as you go to 21k and then to 24k

All external dimensions are the same on 17-24

The 11-16 has a 3” and a 2.5” , but not the +17
Do you know what the wall thickness is for the 24k hitches? My truck has the 21k rated hitch and the design was based off that.
 
@BMCLIGHTS Looks like 23's and up can go up to 30K conventional towing, so I wonder if there's a fourth hitch tube rating more than the 24K you mentioned? Now I'm really curious..

lK1YRKU.png
 
@BMCLIGHTS Looks like 23's and up can go up to 30K conventional towing, so I wonder if there's a fourth hitch tube rating more than the 24K you mentioned? Now I'm really curious..

lK1YRKU.png
I believe what you are looking at is for DRW version of F350.
 
I believe what you are looking at is for DRW version of F350.
That's correct, the F350 and F450s DRWs have stronger hitch cross tubes, indicated by BMC lights above. So there's potentially four different tubes/ratings.
 
That's correct, the F350 and F450s have stronger hitch cross tubes, indicated by BMC lights above. So there's potentially four different tubes/ratings.
👍
 
I put the BMC lights in mine. Hooked them to an upfitter. They work great.
Looking at the BMC Hitch lights. Did you go mini or standard size? Any pics and thoughts on the item are appreciated.
 
Decided it was time to update the title of this thread since it seems to have taken a life of its own :LOL: Welcome everyone to randomness that is / was my build thread. We'll eventually get back to the regular scheduled programming. Until then, please be sure to either be informative or funny if posting on this thread.

Thank you,

Management

(p.s. the above was intended to be a humorous jab and how many additional topics are now actively being discussed in this thread. I've got no issues with it all, but was just finding it funny. Adding this note for those who might take this as a serious complaint).
 
Do you know what the wall thickness is for the 24k hitches? My truck has the 21k rated hitch and the design was based off that.

Looking at the BMC Hitch lights. Did you go mini or standard size? Any pics and thoughts on the item are appreciated.
Send me a dm, happy to help keep the thread on track .
 
Back
Top Bottom