DTX2023Tremor's Money Pit Build and other miscellaneous topics

Why did you need to relocate the plate?
My truck didn't come with the front license plate bracket. I'm planning to at some point add a winch in so i wasn't concerned by it.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find the OEM relocation bracket for the 23s on the market. It sadly doesn't seem like the one for the 22s will work.
 
My truck didn't come with the front license plate bracket. I'm planning to at some point add a winch in so i wasn't concerned by it.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find the OEM relocation bracket for the 23s on the market. It sadly doesn't seem like the one for the 22s will work.
Gotcha!!!
 
Visor sticker covers is a great idea, never thought of it! Going to have to get a set
 
You have a sound clip you can post? How's the drone when under throttle? Was looking at borla but people have been complaining of a lot of drone when towing.
Ok.. here are some clips:

Cold start recorded standing next to exhaust:
 

Attachments

Here's parked, increasing the RPMs to 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000 and 3500. Audio recorded standing next to exhaust.
 

Attachments

Here's a clip cruising at 40 with all windows closed
 

Attachments

Here's a couple of clips ... a slower acceleration from 0 to 45 and one that is more aggressive
 

Attachments

Interesting...looks like he finally added access to the oil filter.
Yeah, the access for the oil filter is immediate below it. It is large enough to get your hand in and a cup style oil filter wrench if needed. If you're using something like an oil udder, the large one is wider than the opening so doesn't work too well to take the filter out without spilling oil (something I learned the hard way this weekend).
 
This weekend was a bit of maintenance and some small mods. It was time for my 2nd oil change and first tire rotation. I did the first one after about 1400 miles and now at 5K miles and will keep to a 5K mile schedule. I'm continually surprised by how dark the oil is coming out of the engine, especially considering the intervals that I've changed the oil at. Currently using Mobile 1 full synthetic with the Motorcraft oil filter. Have one more change with this set-up and then switching to Amsoil 5w-30 full synthetic.

Changing the oil with the cat shield on wasn't too bad, but definitely some lessons learned. The Sthalbus oil drain plug makes draining the oil really easy and with zero mess. The issue is with the oil filter. I decided to try using the oil udder for the filter. After loosening the filter, I put the oil under on and left it drain in the udder. After a while, I unscrewed the filter the rest of the way and had hoped to just pass it, in the oil udder, through the access hole. As you can imagine, oil spilled everywhere - largely due to the diameter of the oil udder being wider than the access hole, something I didn't think about when putting the udder on. It is nearly impossible to clean up any spills on the inside of the plate. Next time I'll attach a piece of 3/4 inch tubing to the bottom of the udder and see if draining the oil from it first and from the filter before trying to pass it through the hole and hope that will eliminate the mess. Otherwise, I'll likely have to go the gallon sized ziplock bag route others have used.

I almost forgot to mention. The @PilotGore oil funnel is awesome! It made it so much easier to refill the oil and is really well made. Highly recommend this for anyone who does their own oil changes.

I'm expecting to drive another 5K miles by the end of January so will get another chance to get the process dialed in.

There was a thread last year some time that discussed how long it takes to wash your car/truck. My passenger car takes me about 15ish minutes (pressure wash rinse, foam gun to soap, quick wipe down, pressure wash rinse, chammy dry). First time washing the truck and wow, that is a process. I think it took me almost 30 - 45 minutes to do the outside alone (with my wife's help). Good thing is she found the cost my local detail shop charges to clean the truck money well spent! :LOL:

Next time I'm going to try the Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine and see how that goes. Other products I'll be using are:
- Adam’s Wheel & Tire Cleaner
- Gtechniq Auto G6 Perfect Glass
- SPS Graphene Detailer
- Adam's Graphene Tire Dressing
 
Last edited:
This weekend I also took 5 - 10 minutes to install the Builtright rear seat release. It is a really simple mod to do and great to have the ability to lower the driver side seat easily. Although, you could just use the closed end of a wrench to access the pin, I like that this makes it quite a bit easier and the convenience factor.

I also installed the factory front license plate holder. Hopefully Ford (or someone else) comes out with one that will offset the license plate when I get the winch installed. Odd that Ford continues to sell the winch kit, but doesn't offer the the license plate holders for the 23+ model years.

Lastly, I added tubs under my Retrax cover to store a few items. Thanks to @modified for finding these. They fit perfectly.

1000008637.webp

All of the following fit in one of the tubs:
- HULKMAN Alpha100 Jump Starter 4000 Amp 32000mAh Car Starter
- SUERCUP 1/2-inch Drive Torque Wrench - my regular Torque Wrench is too long to fit in the box, so found something shorter that would be good enough for when I need to change a tire on the side of the road
- USB Rechargeable LED Road Flares Emergency Lights
- SAFEMATE 3 Pack Warning Triangle DOT Approved, Foldable Emergency Safety Reflective Triangles
- PITTSBURGH PRO 1/2 in. Drive 25 in. Breaker Bar
- I have a single 21mm thin walled socket in the kit right now, but want to add a set in case I need to help others with changing a tire. Appreciate any recommendations on a good set as the ones on Amazon don't seem that great (when reading the reviews).
- Factory bottle jack

I'm thinking of putting my BADLAND 3 Ton Off-Road Jack next to the container, but taking the wheels off is a pain to get the jack to fit under the cover and only one piece of the arm will fit in the storage tub under the cover. Trying to decide if I should forgo the jack unless I'm going somewhere offroad and use the second tub to store recovery gear (planning ahead for when I get a winch installed).
 
This weekend I also took 5 - 10 minutes to install the Builtright rear seat release. It is a really simple mod to do and great to have the ability to lower the driver side seat easily. Although, you could just use the closed end of a wrench to access the pin, I like that this makes it quite a bit easier and the convenience factor.

I also installed the factory front license plate holder. Hopefully Ford (or someone else) comes out with one that will offset the license plate when I get the winch installed. Odd that Ford continues to sell the winch kit, but doesn't offer the the license plate holders for the 23+ model years.

Lastly, I added tubs under my Retrax cover to store a few items. Thanks to @modified for finding these. They fit perfectly.

View attachment 137881
All of the following fit in one of the tubs:
- HULKMAN Alpha100 Jump Starter 4000 Amp 32000mAh Car Starter
- SUERCUP 1/2-inch Drive Torque Wrench - my regular Torque Wrench is too long to fit in the box, so found something shorter that would be good enough for when I need to change a tire on the side of the road
- USB Rechargeable LED Road Flares Emergency Lights
- SAFEMATE 3 Pack Warning Triangle DOT Approved, Foldable Emergency Safety Reflective Triangles
- PITTSBURGH PRO 1/2 in. Drive 25 in. Breaker Bar
- I have a single 21mm thin walled socket in the kit right now, but want to add a set in case I need to help others with changing a tire. Appreciate any recommendations on a good set as the ones on Amazon don't seem that great (when reading the reviews).
- Factory bottle jack

I'm thinking of putting my BADLAND 3 Ton Off-Road Jack next to the container, but taking the wheels off is a pain to get the jack to fit under the cover and only one piece of the arm will fit in the storage tub under the cover. Trying to decide if I should forgo the jack unless I'm going somewhere offroad and use the second tub to store recovery gear (planning ahead for when I get a winch installed).
I have this set, for both the Tremor and helping anyone else out.
TEKTON 1/2 Inch Drive Impact Lug Nut Socket Set (9-Piece) | SID92415 https://a.co/d/g7XHOrR
 
Driving to Los Angeles for the holidays and got the following error last night and again today (oddly both times as I'm pulling into a gas station). Underlying issue could be: software, loose battery connection, or the alternator. Batteries are showing fully charged on the dash and I'm going to check the battery connections after lunch. Hoping it is just a software glitch.

Also had the sync system reboot yesterday evening while I was driving, was not too long after refueling after I got the first error. Unsure if they're related or completely different issues.

1000008804.jpg


Update: all 4 battery terminals are secure
 
Last edited:
Are the 23-24s still having battery issues?
They switched to AGM batteries as standard in the 23s, so I'm hoping the AGMs haven't gone bad. The battery gauge on the truck consistently reads 14v.
 
awesome build.
 
Well, got the truck back from the dealer today. Ford had them re-program the computer. We'll see if that fixes the problem or if the error comes back.

The dealer also replaced the left side mirror assembly as they had scuffed-up the base with a buffing wheel when they repaired a chip. I was surprised that it required replacing the entire assembly, not just the plastic cover for the base, but that is what it is. They were able to transfer my paint matched mirror cap over (which likely required them disassembling the old and new ones to remove them without breaking any tabs). Fortunately the new mirror works fine.

Unfortunately, I'll have to take it back into the dealer on Monday. The keyless entry - locking and unlocking - on both driver and passenger doors is no longer working. There's a way to enable/disable the feature by holding the lock+unlock buttons simultaneously for four seconds on the key fob. Tried that and I get a flash acknowledgement from the lights on the mirrors, but no luck getting it work. Wondering if they disconnected something when replacing the mirror. Hopefully it's an easy fix that doesn't keep my truck in service for the whole week.
 
Back
Top Bottom