DO NOT BUY A TRANSMISSiON PAN!!!

You guys use eco mode?

I use normal for cruising and quick straight line acceleration, because t/h shift points under wide open throttle are too high for the diesel powerband.

t/h for maximum control on the twisties and in traffic.

Honestly, I'm probably in t/h mode for 90% of my driving.

I find that i have to use manual mode much less with the 10r140, than I did with the 10r80.

I used to be a "manual only" hardliner, but that was years ago before they all disappeared, but i must say. I'm very impressed with the way you can control the trans with just the accelerator pedal.

Ford did an excellent job in programming the 10r140, but I've heard rumblings that the pre 26 version had a different strategy.

I've never noticed it skip shift on the way up. Not once.

Now on the way down, t/h mode and a quick accelerator spike will drop it from 10th, down to 7th. Need more engine braking? Another quick spike sends it down another couple gears, depending on speed. Stay off the throttle and it holds the gear... need to up shift? Slight throttle tells it you're ready.

It's like you're having a conversation with the truck. It almost becomes a living breathing thing with it's own personality that you get to influence by being consistent. . Erratic throttle over time will really confuse it and result in poor performance and unnecessary wear.

I drive Mountain roads almost exclusively, and have never had a serious trans problem in any of my ford trucks.

I'm thoroughly convinced that most (not all) of the guys that do, have terrible throttle discipline to begin with.

Anyway, I agree that a stamped steel pan with a drain plug and a dipstick tube with only a modest capacity increase or nine at all would be best.

I'm happy with my stock valve body and programming, until i floor it in t/h mode and it overevs like a mother.

I understand why they did this, (more engine braking capacity), but it sucks when you really gotta move, and the damn thing runs the rpm way up past it's shitty diesel powerband.

For flat cruising or maximum acceleration... normal mode.

Everything else... tow/haul.

Any other mode begins to take away your full range of control. I don't like that

Eco mode is dumb, and saves nothing over good old fashioned throttle discipline.
 
Last edited:
You guys use eco mode?

I use normal for cruising and quick straight line acceleration, because t/h shift points under wide open throttle are too high for the diesel powerband.

t/h for maximum control on the twisties and in traffic.

Honestly, I'm probably in t/h mode for 90% of my driving.

I find that i have to use manual mode much less with the 10r140, than I did with the 10r80.

I used to be a "manual only" hardliner, but that was years ago before they all disappeared, but i must say. I'm very impressed with the way you can control the trans with just the accelerator pedal.

Ford did an excellent job in programming the 10r140, but I've heard rumblings that the pre 26 version had a different strategy.

I've never noticed it skip shift on the way up. Not once.

Now in the way down, a quick accelerator spike will drop it from 10th, down to 7th. Need more engine braking? Another quick spike sends it down another couple gears, depending on speed.

I drive Mountain roads almost exclusively, and have never had a serious trans problem in any of my ford trucks.

I'm thoroughly convinced that most (not all) of the guys that do, have terrible throttle discipline to begin with.

Anyway, I agree that a stamped steel pan with a drain plug and a dipstick tube with only a modest capacity increase or nine at all would be best.

I'm happy with my stock valve body and programming, until i floor it in t/h mode and it overevs like a mother.

I understand why they did this, (more engine braking capacity), but it sucks when you really gotta move, and the damn thing runs the rpm way up past it's shitty diesel powerband.
I only use EcoMode vary sparingly, usually only on long hwy drives as it numbs the (throttle) from quick accidental inputs and "limits" acceleration unless you truly lean into it. I don't use it around town bc I hate what the trans learns from it and truly dislike the way it drives all around in that mode, I understand it's purpose but it's just not for me so I only use it for those cruises where i am locked in 10th and just rolling.
 
I only use EcoMode vary sparingly, usually only on long hwy drives as it numbs the (throttle) from quick accidental inputs and "limits" acceleration unless you truly lean into it. I don't use it around town bc I hate what the trans learns from it and truly dislike the way it drives all around in that mode, I understand it's purpose but it's just not for me so I only use it for those cruises where i am locked in 10th and just rolling.

Honestly, locked in 10th and rolling is locked in 10th and rolling.

It appears you're just using it because it's there.


You bring up an interesting point with the adaptive learning.

Anothe treason to not use eco mode at all in my book.

My truck shifts very constantly and predictably in the 2 modes i do use.
 
Honestly, locked in 10th and rolling is locked in 10th and rolling.
It appears you're just using it because it's there.
You bring up an interesting point with the adaptive learning.
Another treason to not use eco mode at all in my book.
My truck shifts very constantly and predictably in the 2 modes i do use.
it neuters the throttle inputs as well, go try it, just trying to capitalize on the .1 or .2 mpg I might gain from it lol. but yes as soon as i slow down at it's about to drop gears I tab out of it because without fail it will make the adaptive learning all wonky.
 
it neuters the throttle inputs as well, go try it, just trying to capitalize on the .1 or .2 mpg I might gain from it lol. but yes as soon as i slow down at it's about to drop gears I tab out of it because without fail it will make the adaptive learning all wonky.
Eco mode has benefited me once.

I used i once in my Coyote when I screwed up and missed my fuel exit on a long interstate trip.

I went about 40 miles past the zero mark on the dte counter. I know how bad this is.. but I couldn't legal turn around, and it made the next exit with fumes to spare. :LOL:

I only used eco in this instance to maximize the 4 cylinder mode the Coyote seamlessly integrates.

T/h and sport mode disable it.

In that truck, I used t/h almost exclusively, and would switch to normal only when flat cruising for the 4 cylinder mode.

In these non adjustable displacement applications, i just don't see a benefit to it.

As you said, logic would dictate that it screws with the adaptive learning as well, unless there are separate tables for each driving mode. 🤷‍♂️
 
To stay on topic. .

Something something...
Banks sucks.

Tranny pans and axle drains and shit. yay!

Fuckin pedal monster rules.

Can't wait for the HO Derringer tuner to come out.


Come the hell on with that one, Mr Banks.

His old ass doesn't have time to blow developing gimmicky mud scoops and shit....

Give us what we want, Gale. The Chevy guys get a derringer... where's our version, dammit?
 
So AFE and PPE seem to be commonly purchased options - anyone done an SPE Motorsports?
 
Not sure how a transmission pan thread went to a drive mode thread… But I can tell you I never used the Econ Mode (100hp) on my 150 hp Ducati. It seemed like Sport with the traction control off was the correct mode.

On topic, kind of, I did the deep (68RFE deep so super deeper for my 66RFE) and the Revmax bypass on my Ram. Not sure it was a value add. It ran super cool empty (like 100 degrees) but long hot trips it just took longer to heat up and honestly got hotter than I had ever seen previously however still not bad (200 degrees.) I never tried it in cold weather but my old 46RE when I did all the cooling tricks on it wouldn’t shift to OD at highway speeds in winter conditions (running 80-90 degrees.)

personally, I plan to just change the fluid more frequently. Not being negative or anything just my experience.
 
Just a heads-up about ordering from aFe and my aftermarket transmission pan:

Despite being told that they manufacture everything in-house, their website doesn’t track inventory.

This means items could be out of stock for months and you might unknowingly face a 6–8 week wait, contrary to thinking you're just a few days out after having placed an order.

After two weeks without shipping or tracking info on my order, I emailed for an update and learned they were out of the painted pans (4 qts over stock) until mid-to-late July yet their site still showed the item with no “out-of-stock” notice. Had I known at the time, I would have simply ordered their raw pan, probably would have been delivered and likely installed by now.

They admitted they don’t update inventory online and offered a raw, unpainted pan instead, which I accepted.

I’m fine with the color and can paint it myself if need be but then I asked for next-day shipping after the change order, and that wasn’t possible, costing me another week.

Overall, not the greatest customer service—definitely no points from me, and I won’t be giving them future business.

If they can’t make small sacrifices to keep customers happy, they’re not worth it.

Also, not reaching out to the customer to, at least let them know, they're out of stock and you're in for a wait -- zero points.

Just another reason why small business will always win my business.
 
Eco mode has benefited me once.

I used i once in my Coyote when I screwed up and missed my fuel exit on a long interstate trip.

I went about 40 miles past the zero mark on the dte counter. I know how bad this is.. but I couldn't legal turn around, and it made the next exit with fumes to spare. :LOL:

I only used eco in this instance to maximize the 4 cylinder mode the Coyote seamlessly integrates.

T/h and sport mode disable it.

In that truck, I used t/h almost exclusively, and would switch to normal only when flat cruising for the 4 cylinder mode.

In these non adjustable displacement applications, i just don't see a benefit to it.

As you said, logic would dictate that it screws with the adaptive learning as well, unless there are separate tables for each driving mode. 🤷‍♂️
Next time this happens "I authorize you" to use the 'authorized vehicle only' cuts 😜🤣

I would do it in a second in that situation and deal with the 5-0 if they even see me do it. Too far between exits sometimes 😎
 
Next time this happens "I authorize you" to use the 'authorized vehicle only' cuts 😜🤣

I would do it in a second in that situation and deal with the 5-0 if they even see me do it. Too far between exits sometimes 😎
I turned around in a drainage ditch with a rental car one time in Florida. Right by Disney World. If I need to turn around, I'm turning around. Sue me 😂
 
Finally received my transmission pan from aFe after a lot of back-and-forth.

Not thrilled with their customer service, but hopefully the product will prove itself.

It’s their 4 over stock pan, and it looks and feels solid. I actually don’t mind the raw finish.

1780598316133.webp


1780598341014.webp
 
Finally received my transmission pan from aFe after a lot of back-and-forth.

Not thrilled with their customer service, but hopefully the product will prove itself.

It’s their 4 over stock pan, and it looks and feels solid. I actually don’t mind the raw finish.

View attachment 258683

View attachment 258684
I have their pan on my truck, no issues at all with it. I just wish it had a o-ring seal or gasket instead of rtv.
 
Agreed.

Not pleased with the RTV nonsense; despise shortcuts.
dumb question, too lazy to go to AFE website, can the factory pan gasket not work?

Really wish lube locker would come out with more gaskets, our trans pan, and honestly they'd make a killing for upper pan gaskets.
 
dumb question, too lazy to go to AFE website, can the factory pan gasket not work?

Really wish lube locker would come out with more gaskets, our trans pan, and honestly they'd make a killing for upper pan gaskets.
I believe the oe gasket is a ribbon style.
 
With the great number of brilliant and crafty folks on this forum, I’m still shocked no one has made a custom pan for our beloved tranny’s.
 
Back
Top Bottom