DO NOT BUY A TRANSMISSiON PAN!!!

PPE does make a differential cover for 11.6 Sterling axles. Fixing to install with new axle oil. Mainly due to oil drain and fill plugs where they should be. Raw aluminum, finned. So there ya go.
 
PPE does make a differential cover for 11.6 Sterling axles. Fixing to install with new axle oil. Mainly due to oil drain and fill plugs where they should be. Raw aluminum, finned. So there ya go.
Note that the fill hole is WRONG, you need to fill a set amount through the ELD hole.
 
I will have to look at the exact location of the fill hole vs the ELD hole. I suspect they are at nearly the same plane, but will verify. The fill hole in the new cover is around midway from the bottom. Where exactly is the ELD hole?
 
I will have to look at the exact location of the fill hole vs the ELD hole. I suspect they are at nearly the same plane, but will verify. The fill hole in the new cover is around midway from the bottom. Where exactly is the ELD hole?
The instructions should point out that the entire fill will not go in through the hole on the cover. Different R&Ps have different fill capacities. Why that matters, I do not know. Maybe the ring takes up more or less space depending on size?
Anyway, the ELD plug is on the top passenger side of the pumpkin. DO NOT FILL TO THE LEVEL OF THE HOLE. Only add the amount shown in the instructions.
1758640460238.webp


According to another site, there is a fill hole on the 23+ 11.6 rear end. I don't have mine home yet to check.

1758641053911.webp
 
Last edited:
That fill hole looks to be the same level as the fill port on the front of the PPE cover. Supposedly the extra capacity adds a quart of fluid. So should total 5.46 quarts IIRC. Saw this on the Ford Truck forum, will double check and also look in the owners manual, hopefully they still list fluid requirements in tabular form.
 
I will have to look at the exact location of the fill hole vs the ELD hole. I suspect they are at nearly the same plane, but will verify. The fill hole in the new cover is around midway from the bottom. Where exactly is the ELD hole?
Lol, they aren't on the same plane at all. Why exactly would you suspect that?
 
According to another site, there is a fill hole on the 23+ 11.6 rear end. I don't have mine home yet to check.

View attachment 227308
Correct and the factory fill hole on my '25 started flowing right at 5.4qts with the PPE cover installed which is correct (I have 4.30s). The fill hole on the PPE cover started flowing at 4.5qts which would leave you significantly under-filled and likely lead to bearing damage. Next diff service, I'm going to take the fill plug out of the PPE cover and throw it on my fiber laser to engrave "DO NOT USE - INCORRECT FILL LEVEL" on it.

The instructions should point out that the entire fill will not go in through the hole on the cover. Different R&Ps have different fill capacities. Why that matters, I do not know. Maybe the ring takes up more or less space depending on size?
Exactly. Different size ring gears displace more/less fluid.
 
Correct and the factory fill hole on my '25 started flowing right at 5.4qts with the PPE cover installed which is correct (I have 4.30s). The fill hole on the PPE cover started flowing at 4.5qts which would leave you significantly under-filled
Yeah, I know the PPE hole is wrong. I was just pointing out that the ELD hole doesn't have to be used on the 23+. That should eliminate the need to measure the oil volume you put in.
 
Yeah, I know the PPE hole is wrong. I was just pointing out that the ELD hole doesn't have to be used on the 23+. That should eliminate the need to measure the oil volume you put in.
I know you know. Was just adding context and a data point for anyone else that might come across this. The factory fill hole height was incorrect on some of the earlier Sterling 11.6s.
 
Yeah, I know the PPE hole is wrong. I was just pointing out that the ELD hole doesn't have to be used on the 23+. That should eliminate the need to measure the oil volume you put in.
I have a '23 with 4.30 gears.

The ELD hole had to be used when I installed the cover.


Click the directions at the bottom.

4.30 gears is 5.4 quarts

3.31/3.55/3.73 is 5.3 quarts

Am I missing something? twice now posters have disagreed with this in this thread and it is confusing me.

According to mfr directions as well as my own experience, the ELD hole must be used on my '23.

vCR3OeX.jpeg


sWt8UKU.jpeg
 
I have a '23 with 4.30 gears.

The ELD hole had to be used when I installed the cover.


Click the directions at the bottom.

4.30 gears is 5.4 quarts

3.31/3.55/3.73 is 5.3 quarts

Am I missing something? twice now posters have disagreed with this in this thread and it is confusing me.

According to mfr directions as well as my own experience, the ELD hole must be used on my '23.

vCR3OeX.jpeg


sWt8UKU.jpeg
I was only posting the cut sheet from another site that indicated the 23+ axles have a fill plug in the pumpkin casting. If there is one in your axle, I can't see why you would have to pull the ELD to fill. The level on the case should be the correct level regardless of whether the cover holds 5 quarts more or 1 quart.
If there is no plug in the casting, then it would have to be done through the ELD as instructed.
 
If there is one in your axle, I can't see why you would have to pull the ELD to fill.
Because some of the earlier castings had the fill hole at the wrong height.
 
Last edited:
So in summary, if you have a newer Sterling with the correct factory fill hole height, you can use that to set the fluid level regardless of which cover you have. If not, you either need an aftermarket cover with a fill hole at the correct height (PPE is still not correct, can't say for others) or you have to use the ELD port to fill and measure it out.
 
The first thing I would do is pull the fill plug if so equipped. If the oil is at that level, call it good, but.......
Second thing is measure what you refill it with up to the fill hole. If what goes in is really close to what is called out for your gearing then you know that hole is a good hole. If not, then a Accu Pour pitcher will be your friend.
 
So in summary, if you have a newer Sterling with the correct factory fill hole height, you can use that to set the fluid level regardless of which cover you have. If not, you either need an aftermarket cover with a fill hole at the correct height (PPE is still not correct, can't say for others) or you have to use the ELD port to fill and measure it out.
I think I understand you now, thanks for clarifying!
 
  • Like
Reactions: McE
I bet if someone made standard capacity heat sinked covers for the differentials and transmissions with appropriate drains and fills they'd make a killing. Cerakote the shit in crinkle black, polish the fins if you must, 3/8" square fill plug and drain plug, call it a day. Protected sight glass on the diffs if you're feeling fancy.
 
I bet if someone made standard capacity heat sinked covers for the differentials and transmissions with appropriate drains and fills they'd make a killing. Cerakote the shit in crinkle black, polish the fins if you must, 3/8" square fill plug and drain plug, call it a day. Protected sight glass on the diffs if you're feeling fancy.
Except that every marketing department has us convinced we need 55 gallon transmission pans and keg capacity diff covers. 😂
 
Last edited:
I bet if someone made standard capacity heat sinked covers for the differentials and transmissions with appropriate drains and fills they'd make a killing. Cerakote the shit in crinkle black, polish the fins if you must, 3/8" square fill plug and drain plug, call it a day. Protected sight glass on the diffs if you're feeling fancy.
Preach on.

Just another thing I am boycotting yet I need.

We have guru's and engineer's here; just waiting for someone to pull the trigger.

Come grab my money.

Except that every marketing department has us convinced we need 55 gallon transmitting pans and keg capacity diff covers. 😂
Amen but pass the keg to toast to this.
 
Waiting on the raw aluminum pan from PPE for my Tremor's 445-inch gasser 10R140. Again, the order is paid for but they won't be restocked until 2nd half November, so, a couple of weeks more.

And again, not doing this so much for the extry vol-yume of ULV but for the corn-venience of draining/refilling/easier level checks.

That, and raw aluminum finned, cast bits are my automotove jewelry... like this 8.8 Super (34 spline) rear axle diff cover from PML, for example (this one's on my 4.09-geared 4X2 F150 5.0) -

IMG_5989.webp
 
If it ain’t leaking, don’t touch it is my motto on all these aftermarket pans. Tons of leaks and failures created from installing aftermarket pans from excessive sealants getting into the pickup. Not worth it unless it’s time to open it up anyway.
 
Back
Top Bottom