DO NOT BUY A TRANSMISSiON PAN!!!

Hell yes, I almost bought a PPE about a month ago and saw this... I am anxiously waiting for this. I couldn't care less about the scoop but I do like the diecast rather than sandcast if that holds true as well as the drain plug being at the lowest point. However, Gale is VERY proud of his shit and loves to tell you about it so I am sure it will be pricey. That said, my current ride has all Banks stuff and so far it all has been good.
FWIW, the PPE pan is not sand cast aluminum. They are permanent mold cast. Similar, but the sand cast leaves a high degree of variation from part to part.
Die cast is a more expensive process but you can churn out higher volumes of product with a high degree of accuracy.
For a non load bearing part, either is more than enough. Especially considering the original pan is FRP poly.
 
It seems like it would be easier to install/design something to actively cool the transmission fluid. Use this system to maintain the factory spec'ed temperature. Possibly even some kind of... i don't know, heat ex-changer or something. Maybe mount it in the front of the truck where it'll get nice cool air... I know I'm talking crazy here but it could take off.

On a serious note: I'd love to see Banks, PPE, and OEM test results (in a lab is fine) of the effectiveness of each component. Start with the transmission cooling system from Ford as a baseline. Then see how much these passive cooling systems change the temperature. PPE will have to account for the fact they added 5 quarts and Banks with 2 quarts which will effect the results. I bet, in a real world scenario the passive cooling is minimal at best. With the cats that close I doubt there's significant cooling from the fins.
 
I probably missed something, but isn't this kind of pointless on a thermostatically temperature-controlled transmission? 😂

Dr. Scoop-em-all is at it again...
 
Honestly I'd take a steel pan with a drain plug. Sure aluminum conducts better but it's more expensive and steel is still a much better conductor than the factory plastic. Plus you can dent it and it will survive.
 
I probably missed something, but isn't this kind of pointless on a thermostatically temperature-controlled transmission? 😂

Dr. Scoop-em-all is at it again...
Yes, to an extent. But a lot of us see transmission temps above the thermostat setting when pulling up grades. It would help there because the cooler flow is at max already.
Edit- the above applies to all finned trans pans. Not just Banks.
 
🤦🏼‍♂️
 
Someone correct me if I am wrong but this super genius ram thingy is removable by the looks of if eh?

Like some have said, a total marketing strategy that should deserve an award for pretending to think outside the box but failed miserably. D'oh

Let me add something that hangs even lower so that I can get it caught on a 14" boulder that I am trying to straddle.

Sometimes we make things more complicated than they need to be.

It's just a pan, designed to hold oil and have a drain plug—it's been working fine for over 100 years, so stop trying to reinvent the wheel.
 
LMAO I cant with this... As much as atlanta highways flood I feel like I would lose this just blowing through one of the flooded intersections bc I am a child and wont go around the water like the guy in the nissan altima.
Same, Charleston floods like hell and the cops will be redirecting traffic to the side streets. Years ago I came up with my 4runner on 33s..... Homeboy changes his hand signals real quick. I would even take it down there to move and stack sandbags for a realtor I was doing work for. Water all the way to the undercarriage. "Altimas" floating around everywhere. Dumb ass in a Ferrari actually tried to ford that shit once while I was down there too. He floated and had to jump out the window🤦🤣🤣🤣
 
Yes, to an extent. But a lot of us see transmission temps above the thermostat setting when pulling up grades. It would help there because the cooler flow is at max already.
Edit- the above applies to all finned trans pans. Not just Banks.
I'm mostly being an idiot but that's why I said kind of. There are much better and less gimmicky ways to improve trans cooling when it's truly needed.

How long before Gale releases scooped exhaust manifolds? 😂
 
I'm mostly being an idiot but that's why I said kind of. There are much better and less gimmicky ways to improve trans cooling when it's truly needed.

How long before Gale releases scooped exhaust manifolds? 😂
Just take the front quarter panels and hood off 🤷
 
  • Brilliant
Reactions: McE

Attachments

  • IMG_8715.webp
    IMG_8715.webp
    202.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8742.webp
    IMG_8742.webp
    84.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_8740.webp
    IMG_8740.webp
    191.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_8741.webp
    IMG_8741.webp
    137 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I'm mostly being an idiot but that's why I said kind of. There are much better and less gimmicky ways to improve trans cooling when it's truly needed.

How long before Gale releases scooped exhaust manifolds? 😂
He will patent your idea before you onow it!
I'll give him this- only 2 extra quarts. Beats an extra 2 gallons! It's actually as close to what I want that isn't a stock size finned pan
 
He will patent your idea before you onow it!
I'll give him this- only 2 extra quarts. Beats an extra 2 gallons! It's actually as close to what I want that isn't a stock size finned pan
Yeah I hate to admit I've even considered it, but with the scoop removed this might be the most appealing option out there currently. It'll be interesting to see if it ends up fitting the 7.3 trucks since it doesn't appear to hang down very far.
 
He will patent your idea before you onow it!
I'll give him this- only 2 extra quarts. Beats an extra 2 gallons! It's actually as close to what I want that isn't a stock size finned pan
I know we have folks in this forum that are capable enough to develop something. It's only a matter of time; there is an entire world waiting for something that we are looking for, yet no one is offering.

Our word gets around - we just have to be persistent.

It's a shame that BroncOh isn't around anymore.
 
T
Yeah I hate to admit I've even considered it, but with the scoop removed this might be the most appealing option out there currently. It'll be interesting to see if it ends up fitting the 7.3 trucks since it doesn't appear to hang down very far.
The thing that will prevent me from getting one is that they do not sell diff covers for the 23+ axles. I know it's petty. No one but me and the local dealer would know I had PPE diff covers and a Banks pan. The OCD is real though 🙃
 
I know we have folks in this forum that are capable enough to develop something. It's only a matter of time; there is an entire world waiting for something that we are looking for, yet no one is offering.

Our word gets around - we just have to be persistent.

It's a shame that BroncOh isn't around anymore.
We can be a vocal bunch, eh?
I did not know BroncOh wasn't on the forum anymore. I'm still new, but have read a good bit of older content here. He was a real asset it seemed.
 
FWIW, the PPE pan is not sand cast aluminum. They are permanent mold cast. Similar, but the sand cast leaves a high degree of variation from part to part.
Die cast is a more expensive process but you can churn out higher volumes of product with a high degree of accuracy.
For a non load bearing part, either is more than enough. Especially considering the original pan is FRP poly.
I would imagine with permanent mold cast the cold shuts would be less by fair amount. The big thing for me was the way the fins are in the Banks vs the others. Not just because Gale spoke of it in his video but from a physics standpoint the fins connected through should dissipate heat a bit better, I would think. Regardless, just having a metal pan will be heads and tails above the plastic POS. With the Banks pan I will probably forgo the skid plate that I was originally looking at as the metal pan would be enough. If I did more serious offroad driving, such as what @AZsurveyor does, I would still probably get the plate too.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom