HOT! Alternative to the Ford Performance Winch at less than half the cost???

Can you tell me more about moving the adaptive cruise control sensor?
 
Can you tell me more about moving the adaptive cruise control sensor?

Pretty simple, find a company that offers a relocation kit and move it.

Here's one example of one, this is the DV8 kit.

ADD offers one for the 23-24 trucks
 
i was doing some research on this few months back and found the post I needed but now I can’t. I have a 2023 XLT. I purchased the rough country mount, which I read fits and the apex badlands winch. I saw somewhere that you have to remove the end caps and rotate them for the free spool release to line up. Anyone have any tips or done this install?
 
i was doing some research on this few months back and found the post I needed but now I can’t. I have a 2023 XLT. I purchased the rough country mount, which I read fits and the apex badlands winch. I saw somewhere that you have to remove the end caps and rotate them for the free spool release to line up. Anyone have any tips or done this install?
Sorry, can't be much help with the RC mount. I would just be careful on usage of it as it doesn't appear to be as strong as it needs to be to put 12k lbs of pull strength on those brackets.
 
Sorry, can't be much help with the RC mount. I would just be careful on usage of it as it doesn't appear to be as strong as it needs to be to put 12k lbs of pull strength on those brackets.
Ok. Ad far as the apex winch goes, you didn’t have to modify it at all did you? Rotate it in any way?
 
Ok. Ad far as the apex winch goes, you didn’t have to modify it at all did you? Rotate it in any way?
In my kit, no modification to the APEX winch.
 
For a damn near 5 yr thread and a bunch of people with "opinions" you have done a solid job of not telling people to f off. i think people forget how text misses the nuance of speach, or maybe they dont.

Trying to find a local place/person to weld and when i do your kit works. appreciate you taking the time and putting this out there.
 
For a damn near 5 yr thread and a bunch of people with "opinions" you have done a solid job of not telling people to f off. i think people forget how text misses the nuance of speach, or maybe they dont.

Trying to find a local place/person to weld and when i do your kit works. appreciate you taking the time and putting this out there.

I like to let the product speak for itself, thanks for your support!
 
FYI it looks like badlands are going to be 40% off tomorrow according to HF emails. If that applies to the apex I don't think I've ever seen it that cheap?
 
FYI it looks like badlands are going to be 40% off tomorrow according to HF emails. If that applies to the apex I don't think I've ever seen it that cheap?
Looks to be true! Good find and thanks for the heads up!!!
IMG_1772.webp
 
@04sshd did you have to recalibrate anything after relocating your ACC?
 
@04sshd I Just ordered the winch mount and picked up my Apex 12k with the HF discount today, so now I need the ACC relocation kit; I am not sure what kit I will get yet. Has anyone installed this kit with the Apex and relocated the ACC on a 2024 yet?

Edit: I ordered the ADD ACC relocation kit to have everything I need soon.
 
Last edited:
So I posted this on Facebook and I received many comments to come here and post it as well.

EDIT!!! NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE!!! -> https://gormantechservices.com/winch/


I've been working on a winch kit to fit a 12k APEX Badland winch into my Tremor. The kit is near completion and I wanted to show you guys how it looks. If you're not familiar with the APEX Badland winch it's a Harbor Freight 12k winch that was designed to be heads up competiton for the Warn Zeon 12k but at a fraction of the cost. This guy sums it up below-

So I wanted to order the winch kit when I ordered my truck but the $3k price tag kind of turned me off of it. I figured I could do better so that's what I set out to do. Here's a glimpse of what I've got in the works!

View attachment 17559View attachment 17560View attachment 17561View attachment 17562View attachment 17563

So I've got the design finalized, I sent it over to my buddy to cut out on his water jet. As soon as I have those pieces back we're going to test assemble it and document the install. If everything works well, I plan on offering these for purchase as a "U Weld It" Kit. At the end of the day I expect this to cost less than half of what the Ford Performance Winch kit costs when you're all in.

If you're interested, stay tuned!!!
Having just picked up an Apex yesterday for a pretty darn good deal and taken it outta the box I noticed this sticker stating to not wind the rope over the drum. Instead wind it under.

Does your mount allow for winding under the drum? The photos you posted only show winding over.

1734715976521.webp
 
Having just picked up an Apex yesterday for a pretty darn good deal and taken it outta the box I noticed this sticker stating to not wind the rope over the drum. Instead wind it under.

Does your mount allow for winding under the drum? The photos you posted only show winding over.
We touched on this earlier in the thread, imho its likely in reference to uplift forces if mounted over which will stress the bolts more (use grade 8 bolts) and perhaps the housing of the winch where the bolts are. The OP has used his winch a fair bit from other threads so I wouldn't be particularly worried about it imho.

 
Having just picked up an Apex yesterday for a pretty darn good deal and taken it outta the box I noticed this sticker stating to not wind the rope over the drum. Instead wind it under.

Does your mount allow for winding under the drum? The photos you posted only show winding over.

View attachment 184000

When installed, the Badlands is technically facing backwards. The rope doesn’t technically come off the top in this orientation. That said, it definitely is not mounted according to the manual, but neither are the Ford or RC applications strictly speaking.
 
Last Harbor Freight winch I used was for a project , I disassembled the 12000 lb winch , put the rope spool in a lathe and turned off on side so I could mount a hub gear … I used the winch to drive and small trailer tug , seems ok for that , not sure I would use one in my truck , i for sure to make sure to use a power disconnect , the contact would get suck it could be a mess . I have brand new 9500lb warn in a box I may install on my new tremor , its a little under rated but just sitting in a box and the warn , not all are good winch from warn .
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5829.webp
    IMG_5829.webp
    450.3 KB · Views: 95
not sure I would use one in my truck , i for sure to make sure to use a power disconnect , the contact would get suck it could be a mess .
Good to know. mine came with a battery disconnect-looking switch.
 
Just purchased the mount from GTS. Looking to buy winch soon. I read several threads on relocating the ACC anyone have pictures of the ACC relocated and what mount they used? The Ford/Warn mount moves the ACC a little is that possible with the GTS/Badlands option?
Thanks
 
I purchased the ACC relocation kit from Addictive Desert Design trying to get the time next week to put the GTS kit and winch in. I’ll post pics when I do.
 
Back
Top Bottom