HOT! Alternative to the Ford Performance Winch at less than half the cost???

Okay, I am almost finished with the installation. ACC relocation is complete, and the GTS mount is installed. My only issue is that I can't get the winch to slide far enough to the driver's side to get the winch bolts started. The winch is hitting the driver's side bumber bracket before it lines up with the slots.

The kit is keyed so I know I welded it together correctly. I am sure it's a little warped from too much heat when I welded the kit, but that shouldn't affect my issue. I remember reading someone else had this issue and ended up having to open the slots up a little more so I think I will give that a shot next.

I will post pictures when I get it completed if I don't lose my patience first:oops:
 
Last edited:
Okay, I am almost finished with the installation. ACC relocation is complete, and the GTS mount is installed. My only issue is that I can't get the winch to slide far enough to the driver's side to get the winch bolts started. The winch is hitting the driver's side bumber bracket before it lines up with the slots.

The kit is keyed so I know I welded it together correctly. I am sure it's a little warped from too much heat when I welded the kit, but that shouldn't affect my issue. I remember reading someone else had this issue and ended up having to open the slots up a little more so I think I will give that a shot next.

I will post pictures when I get it completed if I don't lose my patience first:oops:
The back plate could be backwards. If it is the best bet is to Re-drill the mount holes.
 
The back plate could be backwards. If it is the best bet is to Re-drill the mount holes.
How do we make sure the back plate is not backwards? Looking at he instructions now. Received mount this week and working on having a certified welder put it together. Want to make sure it is done right the first time. Do you remember what box you used to relocate the controls?
Thanks for the info.
Much appreciated.
 
How do we make sure the back plate is not backwards? Looking at he instructions now. Received mount this week and working on having a certified welder put it together. Want to make sure it is done right the first time. Do you remember what box you used to relocate the controls?
Thanks for the info.
Much appreciated.
I have no idea how we make sure it’s not on backwards, but I think I was able to get mine on backwards.

I was under the impression it was keyed. I’m definitely not a certified welder, but I have everything wired, the grill back on and was getting ready to put the bumper on when I realized my mistake.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0949.webp
    IMG_0949.webp
    228 KB · Views: 94
How do we make sure the back plate is not backwards? Looking at he instructions now. Received mount this week and working on having a certified welder put it together. Want to make sure it is done right the first time. Do you remember what box you used to relocate the controls?
Thanks for the info.
Much appreciated.
This is the box I used to relocate the controls.

Here is a photo of the location where I installed mine, I don't think it will block too much airflow; if the engine blows up Ill have to remember to remove this before I go in for warranty work :oops:
IMG_0940.webp

I made a harness to extend the Bluetooth switch and winch remote plug on top of the engine bay. I added a rubber cap I found on Amazon.
IMG_0945.webp

I installed the winch disconnect on the driver's side inner fender wall.
IMG_0943.webp

If you have ACC you will need to relocate the sensor and extend the harness to reach the new location. I am still waiting for @04sshd to clarify if my winch mount is backward, I hope I don't need to cut it all out again. If you need any pictures of how I wired the inside of the relay box just let me know.
 
This is the box I used to relocate the controls.

Here is a photo of the location where I installed mine, I don't think it will block too much airflow; if the engine blows up Ill have to remember to remove this before I go in for warranty work :oops:
View attachment 202826
I made a harness to extend the Bluetooth switch and winch remote plug on top of the engine bay. I added a rubber cap I found on Amazon.
View attachment 202827
I installed the winch disconnect on the driver's side inner fender wall.
View attachment 202828
If you have ACC you will need to relocate the sensor and extend the harness to reach the new location. I am still waiting for @04sshd to clarify if my winch mount is backward, I hope I don't need to cut it all out again. If you need any pictures of how I wired the inside of the relay box just let me know.
Install looks good. Nice idea with the switch and remote plug. It puts it up out of the dirt. May need to look at something like that. Deciding on what relocation kit to use for the ACC. Waiting for the welder to complete the mount.
 
This is the box I used to relocate the controls.

Here is a photo of the location where I installed mine, I don't think it will block too much airflow; if the engine blows up Ill have to remember to remove this before I go in for warranty work :oops:
View attachment 202826
I made a harness to extend the Bluetooth switch and winch remote plug on top of the engine bay. I added a rubber cap I found on Amazon.
View attachment 202827
I installed the winch disconnect on the driver's side inner fender wall.
View attachment 202828
If you have ACC you will need to relocate the sensor and extend the harness to reach the new location. I am still waiting for @04sshd to clarify if my winch mount is backward, I hope I don't need to cut it all out again. If you need any pictures of how I wired the inside of the relay box just let me know.

Install looks great! Sorry it took a min to get back to you, I was in CA for the past few days and just got back in town in the wee hours of the morning. Your winch looks to be in the correct location, the plate is not backwards. Where is it rubbing?
 
Install looks great! Sorry it took a min to get back to you, I was in CA for the past few days and just got back in town in the wee hours of the morning. Your winch looks to be in the correct location, the plate is not backwards. Where is it rubbing?
I was able to reroute the power cables and get it to fit. If someone is going to tackle this, especially if they have ACC, they will need to be able to make some changes to the harness; everything is tight on this diesel, and even finding a place to run the power to the battery is a PITA, especially if you are a bit OCD.

If we had detailed step-by-step directions with and without ACC, it would be a lot easier, but the way it is leaves many ways this installation can be completed from a wiring standpoint. Knowing what I know now, I would probably spend the extra cash and buy the Warn kit, but it's also nice having your option. I'm just getting old.

One last thing: have an assortment of retaining clips because you will break a bunch.

IMG_0951.webp

IMG_0952.webp
 
I was able to reroute the power cables and get it to fit. If someone is going to tackle this, especially if they have ACC, they will need to be able to make some changes to the harness; everything is tight on this diesel, and even finding a place to run the power to the battery is a PITA, especially if you are a bit OCD.

If we had detailed step-by-step directions with and without ACC, it would be a lot easier, but the way it is leaves many ways this installation can be completed from a wiring standpoint. Knowing what I know now, I would probably spend the extra cash and buy the Warn kit, but it's also nice having your option. I'm just getting old.

One last thing: have an assortment of retaining clips because you will break a bunch.

View attachment 203087
View attachment 203088
You did a killer job on the install, I gotta hand it to you! You are correct, the space to route things on the diesels is very minimal. I do leave a lot of the options on this kit open to the DIY aspect. Mostly because there's more than one way to skin a cat, and I rather enjoy seeing everyone's creativity on how they handle their installs. You probably have one of the cleanest 23+ installs I've seen.
 
You did a killer job on the install, I gotta hand it to you! You are correct, the space to route things on the diesels is very minimal. I do leave a lot of the options on this kit open to the DIY aspect. Mostly because there's more than one way to skin a cat, and I rather enjoy seeing everyone's creativity on how they handle their installs. You probably have one of the cleanest 23+ installs I've seen.
Thanks I appreciate the feedback. I had to head out on a long drive right after I finished and the ACC worked for about the first 30 minutes then it turned off and gave me some error code I can’t remember right now.

Anyone know if I need to reprogram it after I relocate it?

The relocation kit I used does have some up and down adjustment, does the ACC sensor need to be pointed level to the front of the vehicle or slightly down?

Hopefully someone can chime in, if not once I get it figured out I’ll let everyone know.
 
First, I appreciate the ingenuity. I respect guys who have the vision and skill to pull off something custom like this.

On winch performance: I have watched many, winch comparison tests. Most test pulling power, speed, and failure point. Those things matter, but I’m also interested in the stuff that is tested only over time — like how reliably do they perform after four years of exposure to rain, snow, dust, and abuse. I realize this can’t be shown in a winch “shootout”, but it has been tested in my personal experience over almost 40 years.

On Warn: Warn, an Oregon company, had an A+ reputation in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. At some point Warn decided to follow what I call the “Sears Plan”: They decided to capitalize on their great reputation by slapping their name on crappy Chinese winches they could sell by the freight-car-load for half the price. That’s what Sears did when they introduced Taiwanese-made “Sears” tools (as opposed to “Craftsman” tools.) I foolishly bought some of the cheap Sears tools in the early 80s. They promptly broke and, when I went to get them replaced under the famous Sears guarantee, I learned that the guarantee only applied to Sears tools with the Craftsman logo. Fifteen years later, even the Craftsman quality and guarantee evaporated and, years later, Sears did too.

I got my first POS Chinese Warn when it came as part of a hunter’s package on a new side by side. It was worthless. That’s when I started digging into the changes in Warn manufacturing and marketing. Since then I’ve bought four of the top line Warn products for Jeeps and trucks and they have been bulletproof.

I don’t buy Warn’s Chinese stuff, not because it might not function for an afternoon of testing, but because I don’t trust them over the long haul.

On value:
1) The winch that is part of the Ford package is not in Warn’s Chinese “price point” line. I’m hoping the American quality and durability I have relied on for over forty years is present in this one, but I worry that Warn may be in the second phase of the Sears Plan, where even the top quality line will be depreciated. (All but one of the failures I’ve read about online have been with the econo-Warns, so I’m optimistic.)
2) Custom solutions that save $1500, but end up taking two days of my time to execute aren’t worth it to me. I’d rather just work a couple extra days of overtime to pay for the solution that will add lasting value to my truck. (Right or wrong, most future buyers would prefer the Ford factory solution to my custom solution).
3) I’ve never been an extended warranty buyer, but I bought one this time, because the Ford version was comparatively cheap and the minor repairs on our Raptor were so expensive and inconvenient (especially the ridiculously huge leak-prone sunroof, which had to be repaired twice, and also came on my Tremor.) I confirmed that the Ford winch was fully covered by the extended warranty I bought (and it’s in writing), so I have eight years of protection.
 
I also think step by step instructions and/or video would be awesome along with an expectation of install time for an average/moderate tinker as I am definitely no expert. I am going to tackle this winch install at some point but I will admit its a little bit intimidating. The guys that are experts are always going to add their own creative flair and style to their own stuff anyway and they probably don't need or use the instructions to begin with. But I do appreciate @04sshd creating the bracket and option for an alternative solution for us!
 
I also think step by step instructions and/or video would be awesome along with an expectation of install time for an average/moderate tinker as I am definitely no expert. I am going to tackle this winch install at some point but I will admit its a little bit intimidating. The guys that are experts are always going to add their own creative flair and style to their own stuff anyway and they probably don't need or use the instructions to begin with. But I do appreciate @04sshd creating the bracket and option for an alternative solution for us!
I completely understand. When you decide to start the process I’m more than happy to get on a call with you and go over some of the issues I ran into.
 
I moved and didnt have the time to finish the thought, but I told @04sshd that I think it should not be too hard to create a version 2 of the bracket so you don't have to relocate the ACC. Just unbolt it, have the plate bolt to the frame underneath, and replace the ACC module. No reprogramming needed.
 
I can see that as an option, I was in a rush to get everything back together so I can make it to a UTV event this weekend but I’ll take a closer look in a few weeks.

I don’t think @04sshd had ACC when he designed the mount.
 
I moved and didnt have the time to finish the thought, but I told @04sshd that I think it should not be too hard to create a version 2 of the bracket so you don't have to relocate the ACC. Just unbolt it, have the plate bolt to the frame underneath, and replace the ACC module. No reprogramming needed.
I agree. It would be a cleaner, easier install if you could mount the ACC similar to the factory Warn mounts. Just got my mount back from the welder. working on cleaning up the bracket for powder coating. Waiting for a discount code to pop up to by the winch, but may have to just by it before the price may go up with the tariff game.
Wirelessguy great job looks really good. I hope I can make my install look that good. Working on a few ideas to improve my current plan.
 
I can see that as an option, I was in a rush to get everything back together so I can make it to a UTV event this weekend but I’ll take a closer look in a few weeks.

I don’t think @04sshd had ACC when he designed the mount.
He did not. But I think it would be very possible, even desirable, If you had something like a 3/8 or 1/2" plate that connected the horns of the frame rails (think of bolting to the 4 bolts on each side that face forward) you could leave the ACC alone like the factory bracket, and the winch could mount in a foot forward position where the bolts essentially take no lateral strain. Then slap in the largest winch that will fit in there....
 
Back
Top Bottom