Whipple Installed!

When I did mine, I just used a pick and slid out the old wire in the #90 spot and folded it back, and put tape on it. Then, checking the orientation on the new Whipple terminal, I slide it in, and it clicks in and won't back out. You can see where the locking tab engages the terminal. I used a terminal pick tool to push the locking tab down, and the old wire slides out the back.
 
I didn't see the
When I did mine, I just used a pick and slid out the old wire in the #90 spot and folded it back, and put tape on it. Then, checking the orientation on the new Whipple terminal, I slide it in, and it clicks in and won't back out. You can see where the locking tab engages the terminal. I used a terminal pick tool to push the locking tab down, and the old wire slides out the back.
I didn't see the right release, it didn't seem like there was one for each wire. It was easier for me to just splice and solder and heat shrink.
 
Last edited:
Got off the phone with Whipple.

Step 12 of the Tomahawk manual has a relearn procedure for Broncos, but it works on Superdutys too! So that got my 4x4 light out!!!!

@VB! He seemed pretty familiar with the AAT issue. Older trucks didnt incorporate it into the tune, newer ones do.

Sounds like possibly yours was the older style, then at the dealer maybe they flashed your ecu to the newer style? Either way, I think you need to contact Whipple for the most recent tune.

So I am waiting patiently for my updated tune, but pretty happy I don't have to see "SERVICE 4x4. SERVICE VEHICLE SOON" and see the wrench every time I drive the truck!
 
Got off the phone with Whipple.

Step 12 of the Tomahawk manual has a relearn procedure for Broncos, but it works on Superdutys too! So that got my 4x4 light out!!!!

@VB! He seemed pretty familiar with the AAT issue. Older trucks didnt incorporate it into the tune, newer ones do.

Sounds like possibly yours was the older style, then at the dealer maybe they flashed your ecu to the newer style? Either way, I think you need to contact Whipple for the most recent tune.

So I am waiting patiently for my updated tune, but pretty happy I don't have to see "SERVICE 4x4. SERVICE VEHICLE SOON" and see the wrench every time I drive the truck!
Who did you talk to? I'll contact them. Your speculation is probably spot on since my '23 was the very first '23+ truck to get the Whipple. It ran the initial (not released tune) and was the first one to get the released tune.
 
I don't remember his name, t was "the wiring guy" I think.

But don't bother call, they will just direct you to email. Go to their site and open a ticket for the ambient air being off on a '23 superduty and I'm pretty sure they will know exactly what you're talking about.
 
Yeah, we're gonna need more videos of that whine...

giphy.gif
 
Got my new tune and the truck is finally all done and running great!!!
Awesome brother! Now you can stop whining...I mean, start whining! 🤪
 
Well, got mine back from 5star yesterday. You really don’t know what you are missing until you drive one with a whipple. This thing is amazing. SO glad I found this page and decided to take the leap.
Can you talk more about your 5Star tune? I am considering going that route.
 
  • Interesting
Reactions: VB!
Can you talk more about your 5Star tune? I am considering going that route.
Unfortunately, I do not have a frame of reference to compare the 5Star tune to the Whipple…since I never had the chance to drive one with the Whipple tune. However, 5Star installed the Whipple with their tune in 4 days. Actual install was less, but waiting on Whipple to reply with their tune(to unlock the ECU) took a couple days. So far I have zero complaints in my limited mileage (about 500 miles) so far. Smooth shifting for sure. I was especially concerned about potential shifting flares or such with these transmissions. I’ve been using 5star since I purchased my 2011 Ford Raptor new. Never had any complaints or issues. If you have any specific questions, I’m more than happy to answer them.
 
  • Useful
Reactions: VB!
Unfortunately, I do not have a frame of reference to compare the 5Star tune to the Whipple…since I never had the chance to drive one with the Whipple tune. However, 5Star installed the Whipple with their tune in 4 days. Actual install was less, but waiting on Whipple to reply with their tune(to unlock the ECU) took a couple days. So far I have zero complaints in my limited mileage (about 500 miles) so far. Smooth shifting for sure. I was especially concerned about potential shifting flares or such with these transmissions. I’ve been using 5star since I purchased my 2011 Ford Raptor new. Never had any complaints or issues. If you have any specific questions, I’m more than happy to answer them.
I have had 5 star tunes twice before, on a standard ecoboost truck and a 17 raptor, so I do like them

With the whipple tune, my truck feels nearly stock in everyday driving, up to like 40% throttle. At WOT, its obviously a monster, but the first three gears are pretty boring and the trans tune is still slow and not aggressive at all.

Just trying to avoid the high cost of another tune if it isn't that much better.

But I would say if I gave my truck to someone who didn't know it had a blower and they drove normally, they wouldn't guess it had 720 hp.
 
I have had 5 star tunes twice before, on a standard ecoboost truck and a 17 raptor, so I do like them

With the whipple tune, my truck feels nearly stock in everyday driving, up to like 40% throttle. At WOT, its obviously a monster, but the first three gears are pretty boring and the trans tune is still slow and not aggressive at all.

Just trying to avoid the high cost of another tune if it isn't that much better.

But I would say if I gave my truck to someone who didn't know it had a blower and they drove normally, they wouldn't guess it had 720 hp.
Exactly, and why I am content with the Whipple tune. I already have to be mindful when I take off.
 
Unfortunately, I do not have a frame of reference to compare the 5Star tune to the Whipple…since I never had the chance to drive one with the Whipple tune. However, 5Star installed the Whipple with their tune in 4 days. Actual install was less, but waiting on Whipple to reply with their tune(to unlock the ECU) took a couple days. So far I have zero complaints in my limited mileage (about 500 miles) so far. Smooth shifting for sure. I was especially concerned about potential shifting flares or such with these transmissions. I’ve been using 5star since I purchased my 2011 Ford Raptor new. Never had any complaints or issues. If you have any specific questions, I’m more than happy to answer them.
I have had 5 star tunes twice before, on a standard ecoboost truck and a 17 raptor, so I do like them

With the whipple tune, my truck feels nearly stock in everyday driving, up to like 40% throttle. At WOT, its obviously a monster, but the first three gears are pretty boring and the trans tune is still slow and not aggressive at all.

Just trying to avoid the high cost of another tune if it isn't that much better.

But I would say if I gave my truck to someone who didn't know it had a blower and they drove normally, they wouldn't guess it had 720 hp.
I have been corresponding with 5 Star Tuning about tunes for the Whipple. This is what they wrote this morning.

"Yes we just had one on the dyno so they should be good to go. Whipple updated their tune so the power is about the same but there won't be a speed limiter and the shifting is way better. We did not get any misfire codes either. If you do not have headers I would suggest a set. We have to limit it when you have stock cats on it."

If the Whipple tune has a speed limiter. I never found it and know it will run to at least 115 MPH on the Whipple tune. What 5 Start notes about the cats corresponds to what Whipple notes about the cats, that they are the limiting factor to not getting more power.

Unless you're changing other parts, I'm not sure the money is worth it for the 5 Start tune with a Whipple. I think quicker shifting would be better but I'm holding judgement for now. Whipple sent me the new tune yesterday but it would not load for some reason. After the Tomahawk updated I got this message. “The programing functions are not available.” Whipple is looking into it now.


20251029_212729.webp
 
Interesting, thanks for the input.

I was coming home last night and I was thinking about it, and I know what I hate. I live in a rural area that is super hilly, hills everywhere. It takes SO much throttle input to go up hills, it makes the truck feel underpowered. I have to step on it, step on it more, it lugs, then finally down shifts, then makes it up the hill. It makes the truck feel so slow.

I understand it wont make more peak power without a pulley swap, but I'm okay with WOT/peak power. I just hate the dull, boring, underpowered daily driving. A 720 HP truck should be able to come to a hill and go right up it no problem, not struggle.

I do have SW long tube headers with high flow cats as well already.

It is quite a bit of money to go to a new programmer and tunes from 5 star, so it does worry me that they don't speak super highly of it vs the Whipple tune.

Quicker shifting and being in the proper gear, and not waiting to downshift might be just the change I need to be happy with this setup.

I did ask whipple for better shifting and they have a datalog since earlier this week. We will see what they send back.
 
I have been corresponding with 5 Star Tuning about tunes for the Whipple. This is what they wrote this morning.

"Yes we just had one on the dyno so they should be good to go. Whipple updated their tune so the power is about the same but there won't be a speed limiter and the shifting is way better. We did not get any misfire codes either. If you do not have headers I would suggest a set. We have to limit it when you have stock cats on it."

If the Whipple tune has a speed limiter. I never found it and know it will run to at least 115 MPH on the Whipple tune. What 5 Start notes about the cats corresponds to what Whipple notes about the cats, that they are the limiting factor to not getting more power.

Unless you're changing other parts, I'm not sure the money is worth it for the 5 Start tune with a Whipple. I think quicker shifting would be better but I'm holding judgement for now. Whipple sent me the new tune yesterday but it would not load for some reason. After the Tomahawk updated I got this message. “The programing functions are not available.” Whipple is looking into it now.


View attachment 232447
Your SD card might not be seated properly? I got the same message when I forgot to put the SD card in mine. Also, are you sure theres only ONE .BIN file on the tomahawk?
 
Interesting, thanks for the input.

I was coming home last night and I was thinking about it, and I know what I hate. I live in a rural area that is super hilly, hills everywhere. It takes SO much throttle input to go up hills, it makes the truck feel underpowered. I have to step on it, step on it more, it lugs, then finally down shifts, then makes it up the hill. It makes the truck feel so slow.

I understand it wont make more peak power without a pulley swap, but I'm okay with WOT/peak power. I just hate the dull, boring, underpowered daily driving. A 720 HP truck should be able to come to a hill and go right up it no problem, not struggle.

I do have SW long tube headers with high flow cats as well already.

It is quite a bit of money to go to a new programmer and tunes from 5 star, so it does worry me that they don't speak super highly of it vs the Whipple tune.

Quicker shifting and being in the proper gear, and not waiting to downshift might be just the change I need to be happy with this setup.

I did ask whipple for better shifting and they have a datalog since earlier this week. We will see what they send back.
Something is messed up there ,even with my issues, the tune was never that bad.

Try reflashing it to the truck and do a KAM reset
 
Something is messed up there ,even with my issues, the tune was never that bad.

Try reflashing it to the truck and do a KAM reset
Below half throttle, it feels nearly like a stock truck.
 
Below half throttle, it feels nearly like a stock truck.
Are there any mechanical settings for the bypass valve? Sounds like you may be bleeding off boost.
 
Are there any mechanical settings for the bypass valve? Sounds like you may be bleeding off boost.
Not that I know of. I do have a boost gauge, everything seems okay to me, I think its mostly in the electronic throttle and the trans tuning. Like I said, I have a log with Whipple now, waiting to hear back, they aren't super speedy.
 
Back
Top Bottom