Whipple Installed!

I think this is misunderstood, the cat cooling maxes out the small injectors that Whipple provides, limiting the ability to make power and cool the cats.

Correct me if I’m wrong please, but it’s the injectors that limit power 100%

5 star turns up the tune with bigger injectors OR no cats, (with much lower fuel demand without cat cooling).

As both items are expensive, but catless headers (or delete pipes) aid flow AND. Solve the fueling, so likely a better value if noise isn’t an issue,
I've never heard of fuel being used to cool cats
 
In your second picture, look at the part number on that white tag. Should read 116500. My parts list had another number but they had sent me the newer harness 116500. Tech support said in the email that I couldn't run their latest map if I had the old sensor harness which I never had so I was good to run the new map.
20251103_165603.webp
 
Any of you Whipple guys run a catch can? Not sure what fits after the Whipple install?

I had a JLT on my Raptor, simple and cheap.
 
Great, thanks dude! Glad the JLT fits!!!!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7301.webp
    IMG_7301.webp
    79.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7300.webp
    IMG_7300.webp
    55.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7299.webp
    IMG_7299.webp
    58.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I've never heard of fuel being used to cool cats
That’s exactly how they are cooled, through enrichment. There is a specific set of tables and targets in the tune.

My truck runs out of injector, stock pulley, when cat cooling enrichment happens.
 
To elaborate; it’s standard across all fords. Generally the cats go into temp control enrichment pretty quickly, on my 2022 supercharged F150, about 8 seconds of WOT and it would start dumping fuel into the engine, with a Lambda target around .73 iirc, very rich, just to cool the cats. Reduces power a bit as well.

On the F150 though, they have 16 injectors, meaning lots of headroom to enrich.

On my F250, it was much the same at about 10 seconds, except it would max cycle the injectors, and trip a CEL.
 
On my F250, it was much the same at about 10 seconds, except it would max cycle the injectors, and trip a CEL.
What would the code be? I was getting a P0300 after long WOT pulls when I had a bad tune. It stopped happening with the new tune Whipple sent.
 
What would the code be? I was getting a P0300 after long WOT pulls when I had a bad tune. It stopped happening with the new tune Whipple sent.
Interesting, I hadn’t heard you mention this.

I never got a tune that fixed it.

I forget the code, but it was random (multi-cylinder) misfire.
 
For anyone wondering what the outcome was on my end.

My otherwise identical Whipple 7.3 (11mpg) vs Tuned / deleted 6.7 S.O. (18mpg)( lifetime averages / literally identical tires, rims, leveling kit, etc etc)

Note the 6.7 was in the 4’s tune only, otherwise stock, all emissions intact.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7671.webp
    IMG_7671.webp
    42 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7674.webp
    IMG_7674.webp
    41.7 KB · Views: 20
Interesting, I hadn’t heard you mention this.

I never got a tune that fixed it.

I forget the code, but it was random (multi-cylinder) misfire.
It was probably the same P0300. Sometimes it would specify a cylinder (like P0308 or P0305). I don't recall what I wrote here at the time but I presented the issue to Whipple. The eventual fix was the latest tune which was different than the one I got in March from Whipple. This is what I wrote to them in June between the dealer visits. The second visit which came after I wrote this identified the problem which ended up being Ford flashing the truck to the stock tune. (The attached codes photo was from then too.)

From June...

Since Whipple did the final work and installed the updated tune in March on my F-250 everything has been predictable. Drivability with the supercharged Godzilla has been great with the exception of shifting. Ford did some warranty maintenance on it a week ago and did a lot of computer updates. Now the truck is stalling and tossing codes. I’ll write about that first.

I remember you told me that some updates systems were turned off and to leave them that way. We discussed that Ken Grody Ford knew this as well. Since they did the warrantee maintenance and the stalling problem started right after, I’m wondering it the problem is related to something they did. I’m taking it back to them tomorrow.

How do I tell if they changed the tune?

Would a bad reading for the outside temperature cause the stalling problem? The service order shows they recalibrated that and it is giving wrong readings now as it is typically showing between 127 and 162 degrees. I don’t know if the engine tune uses the outside temperature reading that shows in the cab for anything. Photo of codes attached.

With regard to the shifting, the tune with the initial install had much quicker and firmer shifts. The new tune installed in March has slower shifting response. If the truck is just cruising along and you punch it, it thinks for a couple of seconds before downshifting and going. Upshifts at wide open throttle take time. It is almost like the computer is pulling back on power and acceleration feels similar (and takes about the same amount of time) as missing a gear when shifting a manual transmission, clutching again, getting the gear and going except the RPMs don’t flair. If you ease into the throttle it pulls hard and accelerates. I can’t see why this wide open throttle situation would be intended. In some situations, it is dangerous.

I was waiting to comment on this to see if the computer “learned” and fixed this and to film it happening to describe it. Please share your thoughts.

20250623 Codes.webp


For anyone wondering what the outcome was on my end.

My otherwise identical Whipple 7.3 (11mpg) vs Tuned / deleted 6.7 S.O. (18mpg)( lifetime averages / literally identical tires, rims, leveling kit, etc etc)

Note the 6.7 was in the 4’s tune only, otherwise stock, all emissions intact.
Did you ever do a hard pull all the way past 100 MPH with the Dragy?
 
It was probably the same P0300. Sometimes it would specify a cylinder (like P0308 or P0305). I don't recall what I wrote here at the time but I presented the issue to Whipple. The eventual fix was the latest tune which was different than the one I got in March from Whipple. This is what I wrote to them in June between the dealer visits. The second visit which came after I wrote this identified the problem which ended up being Ford flashing the truck to the stock tune. (The attached codes photo was from then too.)

From June...

Since Whipple did the final work and installed the updated tune in March on my F-250 everything has been predictable. Drivability with the supercharged Godzilla has been great with the exception of shifting. Ford did some warranty maintenance on it a week ago and did a lot of computer updates. Now the truck is stalling and tossing codes. I’ll write about that first.

I remember you told me that some updates systems were turned off and to leave them that way. We discussed that Ken Grody Ford knew this as well. Since they did the warrantee maintenance and the stalling problem started right after, I’m wondering it the problem is related to something they did. I’m taking it back to them tomorrow.

How do I tell if they changed the tune?

Would a bad reading for the outside temperature cause the stalling problem? The service order shows they recalibrated that and it is giving wrong readings now as it is typically showing between 127 and 162 degrees. I don’t know if the engine tune uses the outside temperature reading that shows in the cab for anything. Photo of codes attached.

With regard to the shifting, the tune with the initial install had much quicker and firmer shifts. The new tune installed in March has slower shifting response. If the truck is just cruising along and you punch it, it thinks for a couple of seconds before downshifting and going. Upshifts at wide open throttle take time. It is almost like the computer is pulling back on power and acceleration feels similar (and takes about the same amount of time) as missing a gear when shifting a manual transmission, clutching again, getting the gear and going except the RPMs don’t flair. If you ease into the throttle it pulls hard and accelerates. I can’t see why this wide open throttle situation would be intended. In some situations, it is dangerous.

I was waiting to comment on this to see if the computer “learned” and fixed this and to film it happening to describe it. Please share your thoughts.

View attachment 235238


Did you ever do a hard pull all the way past 100 MPH with the Dragy?
IMG_7673.webp
IMG_7672.webp



The above is my best four-wheel-drive boost launch from first gear, stability fully control off. Not posted here, I was able to shave .2 off the 60 and quarter mile times when I shifted manually. But it was so inconsistent and hard to pull off. It wasn’t a realistic number.

In hindsight, I do wonder if a second gear start would’ve worked with the Whipple truck.

And yes, a keen I will spot da is different. In the end that makes no difference for two reasons, one being the injector limit limited power at that temperature anyhow and secondly, the diesel isn’t much quicker in the cold weather and the 60 gallon fuel tank weighs a lot more.
 
Last edited:
  • Interesting
Reactions: VB!
Interesting, I hadn’t heard you mention this.

I never got a tune that fixed it.

I forget the code, but it was random (multi-cylinder) misfire.
Just to follow up on this, I never had any individual cylinder come up as mis-firing, ever, even through dozens of misfiring CEL's, scans and resets.

Any cylinder showing a logged misfire, is having some sort of issue, and if i were had any specific cylinder indication, I would hunt it down, as there is a clear indication where the issue lies.

Random misfire can be just that, random cylinder is what it represents, but the cause is generally calibration related, as it will cycle all around, and not necessarily even be a problem in need of solving, as it's a measurement of the evenness of combustion events and how that affect crank acceleration.

I say that because the misfire threshold should probably raised in a supercharged calibration, but it isn't on the Whipple Super Duty cal, as far as I am aware.
 
View attachment 235250View attachment 235251


The above is my best four-wheel-drive boost launch from first gear, stability fully control off. Not posted here, I was able to shave .2 off the 60 and quarter mile times when I shifted manually. But it was so inconsistent and hard to pull off. It wasn’t a realistic number.

In hindsight, I do wonder if a second gear start would’ve worked with the Whipple truck.

And yes, a keen I will spot da is different. In the end that makes no difference for two reasons, one being the injector limit limited power at that temperature anyhow and secondly, the diesel isn’t much quicker in the cold weather and the 60 gallon fuel tank weighs a lot more.

I think this data supports my driving experience. It shows the 7.3 pulling harder in the upper speeds and with an overall higher max speed. I always thought the open road accelleration to pass or just for fun was incredible. So, how does one improve shifting and lower speed accelleration? Paddle shifters and??? Maybe its time to think seriously about the Raptor steering wheel swap.

Just to follow up on this, I never had any individual cylinder come up as mis-firing, ever, even through dozens of misfiring CEL's, scans and resets.

Any cylinder showing a logged misfire, is having some sort of issue, and if i were had any specific cylinder indication, I would hunt it down, as there is a clear indication where the issue lies.

Random misfire can be just that, random cylinder is what it represents, but the cause is generally calibration related, as it will cycle all around, and not necessarily even be a problem in need of solving, as it's a measurement of the evenness of combustion events and how that affect crank acceleration.

I say that because the misfire threshold should probably raised in a supercharged calibration, but it isn't on the Whipple Super Duty cal, as far as I am aware.
The new tune fixed all the issues I was having so I don't think anything else is wrong. I gave it a few hard pulls yesterday in different situations and have no issues at any speed. I don't have anything else to say on this.

I got 12.9 MPG over 435 miles lightly loaded with cruse set on 80 yesterday in a mix of driving in the mountains and valley flats too.
 
It really depends what you’re used to and what your expectations are. I’ve never had a daily driver that wasn’t in the 13’s for the last 10 years, and the 5.9 to sixty was painful to me.

That said, it did pull like a beast 3rd and up, a little bit quicker than my diesel above….70mph to 100+

To make the supercharged trucks launch, mine would likely have been 100% cured with an aftermarket tune, but life is short and I wasn’t about to wait another year for that. The drivetrain durability excuse from Whipple….was 100% bunk as well

I’m sure most have picked up on the fact that I’m not a typical super duty owner, I push my machines pretty hard, so I tend to find and notice every flaw. Not sure how many are others doing 1/4 miles….partly because I have not seen one dragy pull or timeslip on a newer super duty.

Glad to hear the CEL issue seems to be resolved for you, it was frustrating knowing if I had it to the floor for more than 8 seconds I was getting a CEL.

Hopefully someone else will post a dragy or a slip, I assume my experience was typical, through a “different lens” perhaps,
 
Last edited:
Whipple can't be bothered to email me back about the logs I sent them weeks ago.

I am now moving forward with a 5 Star Tune through Apollo Offroad. I hope it really wakes the truck up!!!!!!!!!
 
Whipple can't be bothered to email me back about the logs I sent them weeks ago.

I am now moving forward with a 5 Star Tune through Apollo Offroad. I hope it really wakes the truck up!!!!!!!!!
Interesting, they now are able to tune the 23+? I never did hear that (I am still waiting to hear from HPTuners) the Whipple F250 tuning had been unlocked.
 
Interesting, they now are able to tune the 23+? I never did hear that (I am still waiting to hear from HPTuners) the Whipple F250 tuning had been unlocked.
Yuuuuuuuuuuuup. They cracked it a month or so ago.

I hope its worth the added money. I always said with my raptor tune, it was half the power and half the pedal/tranny calibration. 5 Star doesnt make more peak power as far as I know, but it should unleash the beast.
 
Just a friendly update to all, they have not in fact gotten tuning access for Whipple equipped 2023+ trucks.

Tuning access is for non-Whipple trucks only at this time.
 
Back
Top Bottom