Whipple Installed!

Finished the install tonight and started the truck!!! Still burping the coolant, so that was enough running the loud truck at 9 at night waking the family. I'll get it up to temp tomorrow and top everything off.

In the tomahawk instructions after flashing to adjust tire size so I did.

It also said you are likely to get CELs and to just clear them.

I had no CEL, but on startup I got a wrench and "Service 4x4". I hooked the tomahawk back up and it still says no DTC.

Quick google looks like it might be related to the tire size change?

Hopefully if I just drive it tomorrow it will go away.

Thanks everyone for the help, much appreciated, @Nick@ApolloOff-Road @ccradier @Isthatahemi
 
Finished the install tonight and started the truck!!! Still burping the coolant, so that was enough running the loud truck at 9 at night waking the family. I'll get it up to temp tomorrow and top everything off.

In the tomahawk instructions after flashing to adjust tire size so I did.

It also said you are likely to get CELs and to just clear them.

I had no CEL, but on startup I got a wrench and "Service 4x4". I hooked the tomahawk back up and it still says no DTC.

Quick google looks like it might be related to the tire size change?

Hopefully if I just drive it tomorrow it will go away.

Thanks everyone for the help, much appreciated, @Nick@ApolloOff-Road @ccradier @Isthatahemi
Congrats, man! I won't be far behind you 💪
 
Last edited:
Finished the install tonight and started the truck!!! Still burping the coolant, so that was enough running the loud truck at 9 at night waking the family. I'll get it up to temp tomorrow and top everything off.

In the tomahawk instructions after flashing to adjust tire size so I did.

It also said you are likely to get CELs and to just clear them.

I had no CEL, but on startup I got a wrench and "Service 4x4". I hooked the tomahawk back up and it still says no DTC.

Quick google looks like it might be related to the tire size change?

Hopefully if I just drive it tomorrow it will go away.

Thanks everyone for the help, much appreciated, @Nick@ApolloOff-Road @ccradier @Isthatahemi
Congratulations on getting the install completed. Let us know what you think once you're really able to test it out.

Hopefully I can get this done on mine next year.... So many mods, so little money.
 
Congratulations on getting the install completed. Let us know what you think once you're really able to test it out.

Hopefully I can get this done on mine next year.... So many mods, so little money.
Well, get back to slingin whiskey!
 
Congratulations @xrocket21! Hope to see some good videos of this puppy running!
 
Congrats! The install is not "hard", but it definitely tests your patience! Thank you for the questions/answers on the process. There are evidently nuances with the 23/24 install that were not in the 20 - 22 installs and sharing the challenges should help others.
 
Just took it for a longer drive, the coolant I think is all purged now, so thats good. My ambient air temp is reading 81 though and its like 44 out, so my HVAC isn't working right and I would assume the engine isn't reading correct air temp either?
 
Messed with the tire size and the 4x4 light is out. Just waiting to hear back from whipple on the 40 degree AAT discrepancy

Thanks for posting all of your progress through this install. I've been watching very closely as mine should be here around the end of December. I may have questions...
 
Thanks for posting all of your progress through this install. I've been watching very closely as mine should be here around the end of December. I may have questions...
Ill be more than happy to help.

You should inventory the parts before you start. Unfortunately it is common for them to leave out parts and get parts wrong. They are slowish on responding. The directions are outright wrong at multiple points, and you need some specialty tools.

I'd say it took me a total of 18+ hours of the course of 13 days, one of those being a 6 hour Saturday with 2 people helping.

It doesn't appear to have a trans tune included? I plan to get a custom tune I believe when they are available.

When did you order? I think mine took 13 weeks.

GOOD LUCK!
 
Ill be more than happy to help.

You should inventory the parts before you start. Unfortunately it is common for them to leave out parts and get parts wrong. They are slowish on responding. The directions are outright wrong at multiple points, and you need some specialty tools.

I'd say it took me a total of 18+ hours of the course of 13 days, one of those being a 6 hour Saturday with 2 people helping.

It doesn't appear to have a trans tune included? I plan to get a custom tune I believe when they are available.

When did you order? I think mine took 13 weeks.

GOOD LUCK!

I’m eying this as a potential mod down the road after warranty expires but…it doesn’t have a trans tune in addition to the engine tune? That’s wild. You’d think they need to up the line pressure some for all the extra HP.
 
Finished the install tonight and started the truck!!! Still burping the coolant, so that was enough running the loud truck at 9 at night waking the family. I'll get it up to temp tomorrow and top everything off.

In the tomahawk instructions after flashing to adjust tire size so I did.

It also said you are likely to get CELs and to just clear them.

I had no CEL, but on startup I got a wrench and "Service 4x4". I hooked the tomahawk back up and it still says no DTC.

Quick google looks like it might be related to the tire size change?

Hopefully if I just drive it tomorrow it will go away.

Thanks everyone for the help, much appreciated, @Nick@ApolloOff-Road @ccradier @Isthatahemi
Congrats! Hopefully the few lingering issues are buttoned up quickly!
 
Messed with the tire size and the 4x4 light is out. Just waiting to hear back from whipple on the 40 degree AAT discrepancy

Hell yeah man! Sounds awesome! Enjoy the shit out of it!
 
Here is an update. I finally received the results from Blackstone for the oil change performed at approximately 45,000 miles. Despite the issue with the balance pulley, there are no signs of internal damage based on the analysis. The oil was run for about 2,000 miles after installing the new balance pulley. Considering switching to Amsoil for the next oil change interval. This will be around 20 to 25k miles with Valvoline Restore and Protect and the cleaning likely has diminishing returns.

Since the last update, everything has been going well. The truck currently has about 47,500 miles. I just towed a 25-foot enclosed trailer this morning. I really like how the truck handles this size load. Shifting is very smooth, and it still launches quickly, even with the load.

Since the truck will soon hit 50k miles, it’s time to start thinking about replacing the spark plugs and wires. I plan to buy a smaller torque wrench so I won’t have to struggle with the back passenger cylinder for an hour trying to get it torqued properly. It’s very tight and difficult to do without removing a lot of parts.

I’m glad to see others are also doing the Whipple modification! Cheers to you, and lawfully wedded marriage to premium fuel! The 58-gallon tank is a lifesaver.

2022 Ford Tremor 45K Oil Change Results .webp
 
Thoughts on the manual recommended 10k mile plug changes? Seems aggressive, no?
 
I finally received the results from Blackstone for the oil change performed at approximately 45,000 miles.
How’s the turnaround lately? I just sent another sample out this morning.
 
Thoughts on the manual recommended 10k mile plug changes? Seems aggressive, no?
Personally, 25k miles seems more reasonable. The first set of plugs and wires went 23,xxx miles and change and looked good. No misfires or issues so far on this run, currently at 22,5xx miles, with the same performance. Realistically, with my driving style, I might go 50k without problems based on the condition of the first changeout.

Either way, I guess it depends on how you drive and the load conditions. My take is that misfires cause other expensive problems, so try to avoid that. The plug wires are a known point of failure in these trucks and it isn't clear if the Supercharger puts additional heat load on them. So far, replacing plugs and wires at 25k intervals seems to be conservative enough to avoid issues with my driving style. Time will tell.
 
How’s the turnaround lately? I just sent another sample out this morning.
I dropped mine in the mail on September 20th and just received the results earlier this week. Blackstone received it on September 30th. Depending on the USPS service from your area, it has always been a 3 - 4 week turnaround for me. If you mail around Christmas or Thanksgiving, it sometimes takes 6 weeks.
 
  • Like
Reactions: McE
Personally, 25k miles seems more reasonable. The first set of plugs and wires went 23,xxx miles and change and looked good. No misfires or issues so far on this run, currently at 22,5xx miles, with the same performance. Realistically, with my driving style, I might go 50k without problems based on the condition of the first changeout.

Either way, I guess it depends on how you drive and the load conditions. My take is that misfires cause other expensive problems, so try to avoid that. The plug wires are a known point of failure in these trucks and it isn't clear if the Supercharger puts additional heat load on them. So far, replacing plugs and wires at 25k intervals seems to be conservative enough to avoid issues with my driving style. Time will tell.
I picked up some pretty nice tons plug wires with titanium sleeves so I think I'm good there. The SW long tubes throw some heat though.

 
Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom