Tell me about your favorite whiskey or bourbon

Buffalo Trace decided to put a bottom shelfer out today in the gift shop...

1000023332.webp
 
Lol... I wish it was me. Just saw a few people post on Facebook that was what they dropped at the gift shop today. Sadly I had contemplated going on the trial this weekend, but decided not and now wishing I had.

I anticipate that they will do something nice for Father's Day as well, so if you don't have plans....
 
I’d be interested in hearing feedback. I saw a few bottles the other day but didn’t pull the trigger.
Excellent pour, my father in law thought so as well.
 
Bottle kill tonight. Sad to see one go, but happy that I have a back-up...

1000023333.webp
 
Man.. they're putting out a lot of gems at Buffalo Trace this week. This is what was put out yesterday... Of course next time I go it will be back to Weller Special Reserve 😂

1000023351.webp
 
Bottle kill night.... For a 4 year old bourbon, this one has a lot going on. Wish they release a version with a higher age statement as I would like to see how this would change with more time in the barrel.

1000023361.webp
 
Also got some really interesting bottles in today... River Roots has done really well with sourcing barrels (mostly from MGP), a 14 year MGP rye (assuming it is 95/5) should be a solid pour.

The 2024 Gatsby Reserve is a really good pour, and the 2022 was also really strong. Finally got my hands on the 2023, so will be interesting to put all three 15 year whiskies up against each other.

Jury is out on rum cask finishes for me, but a 14 year bourbon finished in a rum cask I'd expect would bring either elevated sweetness to the bourbon or give it a bit of rye characteristics of the rum is particularly grassy.

THe Clyde May is thought to be a BuffTurkey, but if it is a Barton barrel, based on reviews, it is exceptionally better than the 12 year 1792. BuffTurkey barrels are going for a huge markup because many of them are incredible and 15 - 16 years old. At 13, this is slightly younger, but a huge reduction in price so I'll take that deal all day any day for a BuffTurkey barrel whiskey.

I've been trying to expand my experience with Light Whiskey (which is an unusual name as it is a bit misleading). RY3 makes the second best cigar blend after Joseph Magnus so knowing they make quality figured a 16 year light whiskey from them has got to be pretty good. I passed on getting the 17 year Penelope light whiskey (a pretty pricey bottle), but that one has quickly become pretty highly sought after as it's also really good.

I've been trying to move more towards premium whiskies as I add new bottles, so made the leap to buying my first Parker's Heritage... Wish these bottles weren't so damn expensive, even at MSRP. Buying at secondary definitely hurts the wallet.

2XO is founded by the person behind the Kentucky Owl blends who left to start his own label. This bottle completes the set for me of the core set of blends plus the Gem of Kentucky. Future plans to do a tasting with the full line-up as part of a series of tastings I'm doing.

Lastly, everyone seems to be chasing this Creme Brulee bottle from Penelope. Found it bundled with the wheated with an MSRP price for both and decided to grab the bottles. Not sure if it's worth the hype, but will see when I get a chance to get into it. I enjoyed the regular Penelope Architect, so figure this should be as good if not better.

1000023360.webp
 
Here's my loot from the last week or so. A couple of great recs from @DTX2023Tremor--the RY3 Cigar Series and the High West Prisoner's Share. The Parker's Heritage bottles, especially the orange curacao finished, have been on my wish list for a long time. The Joseph Magnus I wasn't looking for but it happened to be there, along with the 1792. Most have been opened already!

20250529_224808[1].webp
 
Back
Top Bottom