Talk me out of buying a diesel ?

I went from a 2024 7.3 to a Whipple Supercharged 7.3.....to a 2025 6.7

First diesel ever that I've personally owned. Even if I didn't tow a day (I do, I'm a full time RV life person) I would recommend the diesel for it's effortless power, range, and It's much quicker stock than the gasser, and with a simple tune (no delete), much quicker than the Whipple Supercharged 7.3

Mine is a S.O. levelled, on 35's with 3.31 gears, so the unloaded highway mileage is spectacular. Think 16mpg vs 11mpg at 75mph unladen. Oil changes are half as often, so the only real extra costs I see are fuel filters, and DEF.

There is no reason other than higher cost to not get the diesel, I went from 4.5mpg to 7.5mpg towing our house, and upgraded to an inexpensive 60 gal S&B (unlike the cost prohibitive gasoline tank upgrade). The 7.3 is cheap up front and if "good enough" is the criteria, well, it's probably "good enough".

The ride on my otherwise identical down to the tires diesel vs gas was a huge improvement as well. Anyhow, good luck.
 
If you don't need the additional HP, torque, and towing capacity that you get with the diesel, go with the gas. The 7.3 still has excellent load and towing specs and the operating and maintenance cost is a lot less, even though the diesel get better mileage. I've had my 7.3 gasser for 5 years and have been very happy with it.
 
After hearing all the talk about the ‘27 models...
What is happening on the '27 models?

Honestly I love my 7.3 - I don't tow; I need payload.
So for $10k less on the purchase, lower maintenance costs, and lower fuel costs, my personal situation worked out that the 7.3 was always cheaper. To reach a higher payload on the 6.7, I needed to go up to an F350, which drives insurance costs up in my state.

After 10 years, a 7.3 will still be about $18k cheaper on total cost compared to the 6.7 (again, in my use case)

I keep this in mind when I'm at the pump. Sure, I would love to get an extended range on a full tank of gas, but I don't think the 7.3 is more expensive at the pump (I guess it could be if you are towing a lot, heavy footed, and drive a lot of highway miles {where the diesel really shines})

All of this said, buy what you feel you need, or want...
I don't think it's a good financial decision to trade in a 3-4 year old truck for a new one just to go from gas to diesel, unless there are direct performance limitations due to the 7.3.
 
@Redoggs
I think this is really the biggest takeaway if you’re not going to be using a diesel for a specific task that diesels are known to excel at (basically just towing heavy with a better QOL than a gas truck)

My company has a fleet of about 15 ford diesel superduties dating back to a 2011 with 289k miles. I have been slowly going through and replacing these trucks with gas trucks due to the fact we don’t really pull anything and have a tractor trailer for when we do.
The maintenance on diesels is significantly higher than a gas engine. For our use case a non modified truck over 150k starts to cost anywhere between 6-12k/ year in additional maintenance compared to before they cross that 150k miles point. Of course you can dump money into the truck while it’s young to help with some of those costs but it will effect (in some cases dramatically) your ability to sell the truck when you are ready to.

I have driven a diesel since I turned 16 and bought an 03 6.0l and dumped all 15k I made in my first summer construction job into bulletproofing it. I will probably always have a diesel. But I do things because I want to and not because they make the most sense
Gotta ask, what maintenance was required that cost 6-12K? I understand failures happen in a daily work truck. Especially in the older 6.0 and 6.4 diesels. Have you had these kinds of billing issues on the 6.7s? And what failed?

I ask because you obviously have some experience with having 15 diesel super duties in your business but I'm curious as to which ones have the most issues. I've had the 6.9, the 7.3, and now the 6.7 and have not had any costs that high unless as stated, they were out of warranty repairs. Admittedly, having wrenched most of these problems myself has lowered my costs considerably though. I did have 2 injectors replaced in the 7.3 by Ford due to hard starting issues that were prevalent for years, (the injectors were leaking pressure) which cost about $2500. But that was a rare once ever problem. It was like that from day one, took them 10 years to finally figure it out.

The 6.9 was gutless and I added an aftermarket turbo which helped but maintenance on that was merely seals and hoses, all of which were easy to access. As it aged over 10 years, more components would fail like alternators, pumps, etc. but these fail on every truck. The 7.3 had the cam position sensor replaced three times until Ford finally got one manufactured that worked, all under warranty. At about 120 K miles, it had a leak in the steering box; not a big deal but I hate leaks, so I replaced it. The biggest issue with the 7.3 was oil and fuel leaks which didn't cause it to not run but made a mess in the driveway. The hardest seal to replace was under the turbo, which was a common problem on the 7.3. I did that myself; the O rings were the only expense. So far, zero issues with the 6.7 going on 4 years now in November except battery upgrades.

Any insight would be useful. Thanks.
 
Both the 6.7 and the gas 7.3 have their place...if you're not pulling heavy loads consistantly, a diesel is like buying a tuxedo to work at WalMart...it'll work but....why?
But when you buy a tuxedo, it's a onetime investment. So long as you don't grow out of it. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:
 
I have a 1989 F250 SCLB Lariat 7.3idi, 2016 F350 CCSB Lariat 6.7, 2023 F250 CCSB Lariat 7.3 Tremor.

I love the unsprung weight and nimbleness of the new 7.3 trucks. Steering, ride, tires, etc.. suffer on the 6.7 trucks. Had a 2025 F250 CCSB Lariat 6.7 as a rental for 4 months. The power is understandably great. But the 7.3 is plenty for most folks.

If I was hauling dumpsters, running hotshots, or full timing in a camper. I would likely not have a use for the 7.3. But it is so much better for my daily use, needs and wants.
 
No reason not to if you want it. I will tell you this if the mileage is what’s bothering you though: I have an L5P and Powerstroke within my business, you are going to be disappointed if you think you are going to get the mileage folks in here claim. I have never seen above 17-18 MPG highway with either of the diesels. Diesels average about 15.8 MPG, my personal 7.3 averages 13.2 MPG. With a trailer in tow you will see a much larger improvement, empty not so much.

For tow mules they pay themselves back fast, as then it’s 9-10 MPG vs 14-15 MPG.
Also my diesel engine experience 17-18mpg, but I drive it. Get about 13mpg when towing. But a diesel 3/4 ton(+) truck is my choice. It will pull about anything you can hook up to. That diesel engine will purr up steep grades and won't even drop down a gear unless you are pulling something really heavy. If I have the need for a 3/4 ton truck (and I do) then it will have a diesel engine.
 
What is happening on the '27 models?

" By 2027, all new vehicles in the U.S. are legally required by the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act to include "Advanced Impaired Driving Prevention Technology". This means incoming models must feature active driver-monitoring systems that use AI cameras and sensors to track eye movements, head positions, and behavior for signs of impairment or fatigue. "

" Ford has filed several prominent patents utilizing AI and in-cabin cameras to monitor occupants. These technologies are designed to interpret facial expressions, synthesize speech through lip-reading, and gauge driver alertness or emotional state, sparking significant debate around automotive privacy and surveillance. "
 
Gotta ask, what maintenance was required that cost 6-12K? I understand failures happen in a daily work truck. Especially in the older 6.0 and 6.4 diesels. Have you had these kinds of billing issues on the 6.7s? And what failed?

I ask because you obviously have some experience with having 15 diesel super duties in your business but I'm curious as to which ones have the most issues. I've had the 6.9, the 7.3, and now the 6.7 and have not had any costs that high unless as stated, they were out of warranty repairs. Admittedly, having wrenched most of these problems myself has lowered my costs considerably though. I did have 2 injectors replaced in the 7.3 by Ford due to hard starting issues that were prevalent for years, (the injectors were leaking pressure) which cost about $2500. But that was a rare once ever problem. It was like that from day one, took them 10 years to finally figure it out.

The 6.9 was gutless and I added an aftermarket turbo which helped but maintenance on that was merely seals and hoses, all of which were easy to access. As it aged over 10 years, more components would fail like alternators, pumps, etc. but these fail on every truck. The 7.3 had the cam position sensor replaced three times until Ford finally got one manufactured that worked, all under warranty. At about 120 K miles, it had a leak in the steering box; not a big deal but I hate leaks, so I replaced it. The biggest issue with the 7.3 was oil and fuel leaks which didn't cause it to not run but made a mess in the driveway. The hardest seal to replace was under the turbo, which was a common problem on the 7.3. I did that myself; the O rings were the only expense. So far, zero issues with the 6.7 going on 4 years now in November except battery upgrades.

Any insight would be useful. Thanks.
A lot of it came from the idle time my trucks see as construction inspection vehicles. Fit some reason once the dealership started tearing into the emissions on the high mileage trucks like for a DPF or EGR replacement it magically becomes a bi annual replacement item.
Outside of that it was frequently fuel injectors or turbos that would need replacing.
A/C systems were fairly common to go out as well - usually the compressor
You also start looking at suspension overhauls a few pieces at a time and when paying stealership prices even that gets expensive
Thankfully I now have my own mechanics so the cost (at face value) is much lower without that labor markup
Then weird small stuff like the headlight lenses are too yellowed to be safe and restoration only goes so far so those get replaced.
Random small part failures like window motors and stuff like that
 
Myself, I gotta drive what I like, and for me performance and versatility is paramount. If you're going to own a heavy duty truck it's gotta be diesel.

As far as cost comparison, I have two gas powered Porsche's, and two diesel trucks... my trucks require no more maintenance or cost to maintain.

I'm a car guy that's had many gas powered vehicles and gas trucks. I always take meticulous care of my vehicles, so, I don't think diesels require any meaningful differences in maintaining them compared with gas... diesel costs just aren't that much different, especially considering the big picture of performance gains, versatility gains, resale, etc. And I'll always remind people to consider how diesel engine braking can save your brakes, rotors, and frustration, even when you're not towing.
 
I spoke with a Ford mechanic about the diesel/gas thing today. He agreed that both are good, but the gas is fine for the average person who doesn't tow a lot of heavy stuff.
I still like the gas and don't really need a diesel. I also couldn't really afford the extra $$ when I bought the truck.
 
I spoke with a Ford mechanic about the diesel/gas thing today. He agreed that both are good, but the gas is fine for the average person who doesn't tow a lot of heavy stuff.
I still like the gas and don't really need a diesel. I also couldn't really afford the extra $$ when I bought the truck.
My buddy is a ford senior master tech with 28 years experience, he pulls a 40 foot 14k pound 5th wheel camper and he went 7.3 on his new super duty. When I inquired with him and the guys in the diesel shop about getting a 6.7 there response was “f those things”.

any time I buy a new ford vehicle I run the options list past him and I get the no bs answer on what’s good and bad.

Let’s be honest, most people that want a diesel don’t need one. Most want the cool factor or just have to have it in a big pickup. Just be ready to pay to play when a big ticket item goes.
 
I'm over here like ....

tenor.gif


....while seeing this....

IMG_4615.webp
 
I had a 2022 CCLB with 7.3 and 4.30, 35” tires, and I currently have a 2025 RCLB with 7.3, 4.30, 37” tires.

One thing to consider is altitude/elevation with the 7.3 gas. I live at 6500’ and frequently drive over 10,000’ and it has gotten a bit old listening to the 7.3 RPM’s scream at me when going uphill. I know that’s what the engine is designed to do but has gotten old nonetheless.

That is mainly why I just ordered a 2027 with HO diesel, 3.31, 33” tires, 48 gal fuel tank, turbo (more immune to elevation than the naturally aspirated 7.3 gas) and 1200 torque.

The 7.3 is capable at my elevation but the 6.7 will just do it better across the board.
 
" By 2027, all new vehicles in the U.S. are legally required by the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act to include "Advanced Impaired Driving Prevention Technology". This means incoming models must feature active driver-monitoring systems that use AI cameras and sensors to track eye movements, head positions, and behavior for signs of impairment or fatigue. "

" Ford has filed several prominent patents utilizing AI and in-cabin cameras to monitor occupants. These technologies are designed to interpret facial expressions, synthesize speech through lip-reading, and gauge driver alertness or emotional state, sparking significant debate around automotive privacy and surveillance. "
Wow that is crazy. I don't really drink, and definitely do not drive impaired, but I can see this becoming a real issue as someone who works with technology and AI almost daily for work - these things simply fail at times. I really don't want this in my vehicle determining whether or not I am "safe" to drive...
If I am in a fight or flight state due to an emergency, my truck will determine whether I can get out of my current situation or not?!

I'm sure there will be massive threads on this issue so I'll leave it at that, but this is the first I am hearing about it.
 
I originally ordered a 2022 7.3 tremor, honestly it’s been a good truck, just normal maintenance with no real issues other than stopping at every gas station you see. I know we don’t buy these trucks for mileage but still would be nice to get over 12 on the road, empty not towing. After hearing all the talk about the ‘27 models makes me wonder if it’s time to find a ‘26 diesel tremor and be done with the gas. I always said I would never buy another new truck and was gonna drive my ‘22 forever but I keep finding myself looking for diesel trucks for sale and even went and test drove a few of them…. I know the def issues can be a thing but I have many friends with 200,000+ miles on new Ford trucks with minimal issues. Will I regret getting rid of the ‘22 model for a ‘26? Kind of seems like I will but who knows…
You don’t want a diesel. Women will assume you are hung like a horse and can go all night, so your arms will get too tired from pushing them away. ;)
 
" By 2027, all new vehicles in the U.S. are legally required by the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act to include "Advanced Impaired Driving Prevention Technology". This means incoming models must feature active driver-monitoring systems that use AI cameras and sensors to track eye movements, head positions, and behavior for signs of impairment or fatigue. "
Not happening in 2027 as the federal mandate is currently stalled and has not yet been finalized by the NHTSA.
 
Back
Top Bottom