Talk me out of buying a diesel ?

interesting, I missed that part, appologies but at that point you're at 6.7 costs between blower, install, and everything else with it. Yikes
And even crappier fuel economy
 
Yawn... decided to self-censor.
 
Last edited:
I originally ordered a 2022 7.3 tremor, honestly it’s been a good truck, just normal maintenance with no real issues other than stopping at every gas station you see. I know we don’t buy these trucks for mileage but still would be nice to get over 12 on the road, empty not towing. After hearing all the talk about the ‘27 models makes me wonder if it’s time to find a ‘26 diesel tremor and be done with the gas. I always said I would never buy another new truck and was gonna drive my ‘22 forever but I keep finding myself looking for diesel trucks for sale and even went and test drove a few of them…. I know the def issues can be a thing but I have many friends with 200,000+ miles on new Ford trucks with minimal issues. Will I regret getting rid of the ‘22 model for a ‘26? Kind of seems like I will but who knows…
I have a 22 7.3 and I couldn't be happier. Do you commute or tow a lot? When I was looking in 21 my bro-in-law asked me that very question. He pretty much said that unless I'm working the diesel hard or getting it up to operating temps that I'd have issues with dpf and other shite. Since I work from home, and tow roughly 5 times a year around 600 miles roundtrip with a fully loaded toyhauler at 13k the 7.3 is the perfect option for me. Plus there's something to be said to opening the hood and having space in the bay to actually wrench on your vehicle if you're so inclined. Because I'm a nerd I've been tracking mileage since day 1 I have a lifetime mileage of 14.01mpg with my best being 17.85mpg. I purchased the transferflow tank and it's honestly the only mod/upgrade I've done to the vehicle. Do I wish I got better mileage towing, yes. Do I like stupid simple maintenance that takes maybe 30 minutes, double yes.
 
We went to Yellowstone last month and towed a ~7000 lb trailer with my 2026 7.3 and didn't have any issues at all. Very rough math, I could have saved $50 on fuel with diesel over the 560 mile drive (Denver to Bridge Bay campground). I would only need to make that trip another 200 times to break even! :)
 

Attachments

  • 1784303615333.webp
    1784303615333.webp
    16.2 KB · Views: 12
I had a 2022 CCLB with 7.3 and 4.30, 35” tires, and I currently have a 2025 RCLB with 7.3, 4.30, 37” tires.

One thing to consider is altitude/elevation with the 7.3 gas. I live at 6500’ and frequently drive over 10,000’ and it has gotten a bit old listening to the 7.3 RPM’s scream at me when going uphill. I know that’s what the engine is designed to do but has gotten old nonetheless.

That is mainly why I just ordered a 2027 with HO diesel, 3.31, 33” tires, 48 gal fuel tank, turbo (more immune to elevation than the naturally aspirated 7.3 gas) and 1200 torque.

The 7.3 is capable at my elevation but the 6.7 will just do it better across the board.
Brother.

They'll never understand.

my 6.7 gets better mileage in the Rockies, than a7.3 gets at sea level on flat ground.

The scorpion diesel was designed to be a world beater. Every one of the new for 2011 engines were masterpieces. Literally saving the reputation of the company after the 6.0/6.4, and 5.4 3 valve debacles.

Take that in mind, add 15 years of refinement, and imrhw 6.7 has become the nothing short of best consumer pickup truck engine ever made, some cummins guys might argue.... but that's another thread.

Nothing else comes close, and i put the Coyote in the same category of excellence.

The godzilla however, did not impress me after owning 2 coyotes. That's not saying it's a bad engine, it's certainly better than it's gas powered competition.

Welcome to the Scorpion club.

Order your pedal monster now.
:ROFLMAO:
 
Last edited:
I’ve had a diesel in every super duty I have owned for the last 20 years and never had a major issue. Only frustration with my 24 HO is the amount windshield wipers I have gone through. Once the ladies see the red 6.7 they throw their panties at me. Very frustrating
 
I’ve had a diesel in every super duty I have owned for the last 20 years and never had a major issue. Only frustration with my 24 HO is the amount windshield wipers I have gone through. Once the ladies see the red 6.7 they throw their panties at me. Very frustrating
and by that you mean all the guys in brodozers that come up to say "nice truck bro"
 
I’ve had a diesel in every super duty I have owned for the last 20 years and never had a major issue. Only frustration with my 24 HO is the amount windshield wipers I have gone through. Once the ladies see the red 6.7 they throw their panties at me. Very frustrating

If a lady throws panties at you because of a red 6.7 she has a pecker. Beware my friend.
 
If a lady throws panties at you because of a red 6.7 she has a pecker. Beware my friend.
Depends on geographic location my man. This past April. Talladega Super Speedway. Bitches LOVED the HO! Lots of trannys there, none human.

ETA (detected).
 
Last edited:
you wont regret it and you've already test driven a few, what did you think?
 
Coming out of Red River at 6,200 rpm towing my 13k lb toyhauler with no muffler was pretty sweet last summer. Was pretty happy to crest that hill. My ears still are ringing. (That trip drove me to the diesel, fuel range in rural areas and power at altitude were the issues)
 
My last personally driven truck was a 2023 5.0 Coyote (I buy them all through my business), I’m very much enjoying the 7.3L. Towing my Formula LS is now 10th gear and quiet as can be versus 7th and revving in the Coyote even on a straightaway. The Coyote is a sport motor, it wasn’t happy with my enclosed trailer or boat behind it. The 7.3 simply doesn’t care the trailer is back there. At 1,500 RPM there is a 120 LB FT spread in torque.

Sure the 7.3 doesn’t winde out to 7,000 RPM like the 5.0 did, but it sure lugs my boat around a lot harder with less pedal input to boot.
I do not doubt that at all.
. Now imagine a 7 liter Coyote, and tell me you'd still take the Godzilla.

The 7.3 is an excellent, powerful, low compression workhorse of an engine, and class leading, no doubt.

I'm not knocking it, it just doesn't suit my needs
 
Back
Top Bottom