Talk me out of buying a diesel ?

Hello no don't do it! You'll lose your Double Deuce membership! You know what they say: buying a diesel to save money on fuel is like buying a boat to save money on fish.

I hear you on the gas station stops, but definitely run the math before you jump ship! The upfront cost of upgrading to the 6.7L on a '26, plus taking on a new payment, is going to buy a lot of gas for your '22. You’d have to drive a ridiculous number of miles just to break even on a few extra MPG, especially when you factor in DEF, more expensive oil changes, and fuel filter replacements.

You said it yourself—your 7.3 has been a great truck with zero issues. The Godzilla block is basically bulletproof. Your buddies might be lucky with their high-mileage diesels, but modern emissions systems (DPF, EGR, sensors) are always a massive gamble if you aren't constantly towing heavy. One emissions hiccup or fuel system issue out of warranty and any money you saved at the pump is instantly wiped out.

The Double Deuce is honestly a sweet spot for these trucks. Don't trade a reliable, issue-free gas rig that you originally planned to drive forever just to skip a couple of gas station stops. Trust your gut—you literally said you think you'll regret getting rid of it. Save the money and keep the Double Deuce!
 
I originally ordered a 7.3 Tremor F350 platinum but Ford twiddled their thumbs for almost 8 weeks. I decided to cancel the build and purchase a 6.7 HO platinum off the lot.
This is the most entertaining vehicle I have ever owned. I’m a rig consultant in Northern Ab and put on roughly 6000-8000km a month on highway and gravel oilfield roads. I get 20mpg all day long. If I do the speed limit I can get 23mpg. It rides like a dream. Eats all bumps and potholes like a champ and up here in GP diesel is cheaper than gas at Costco.
I bought it on May 1st and just crossed over 18,000km.
I have ZERO regrets.
 

Attachments

  • 1783953132035.webp
    1783953132035.webp
    13.2 KB · Views: 176
I can certainly appreciate the 1200 lb/ft, but let me tell you that a 7.3 Godzilla 1-ton that rides like this one, light on it's feet at an empty 7,054 lbs is really nice to drive and especially after adding an excellent exhaust system and superior dampers to what this F350 was built with.

I haven't researched the numbers for accuracy, but I often ask, "What were towing with just 25 years ago?" How much torque did this class of trucks' diesels have back then?

T'weren't that long ago, was it? 😝
To that point, the 7.3 Gas gets significantly more torque to the rear wheels than the 7.3 Powerstroke ever did by the time you multiply 485 lb ft through ratios in 1-2-3-4. I always say it’s most similar to the mid 2000’s 6.0 Powerstroke in towing performance/ torque at the rear wheels.

The Ford 460 BB was 410 LB FT, (same as today’s 5.0 Coyote) and the E40D ratios were 2.71-0.71 verses the 10R140 4.61-0.63. The 7.3 is the most capable gasser ever rolled off a Ford assembly line no doubt, but with today’s huge campers etc and growing tow capacities the diesel still very much retains its advantages in torque and fuel economy.
 
You know what they say: buying a diesel to save money on fuel is like buying a boat to save money on fish.


Hahaha... brilliant! (even though that is very humorous too).

But, srsly...

When someone needs 1200 lb/ft or even 1050 lb/ft, it's there. If you tow your working equipment and/or massive RV often, then... yes. Powerstroke all day long.


Hunterman

1783953132035-webp.262276



No ragrets? "Not even one?" :ROFLMAO:
 
I wake up every day thankful that i did not buy the 7.3.

The scorpion brings to the table.... 3x the Power, almost twice the fuel mileage, 3x the longevity, twice the front end traction on snowy roads, and will get you more pussy. Especially if you buy a blackout, triple black Platinum. :cool:

Add in the fact that it will out accelerate almost anything else on the road.... and the 7.3 looks kinda pitiful in comparison.

Plus, you won't won't have to drive around in a Tutu any more, and pretend to be a space robot to keep @Optimus🤖 happy. :LOL:


The '26 looks better, and has much better transmission programming logic from what I've heard.

It does however have a relatively untested front axle that has almost zero aftermarket support at this time. That's a non factor for me. Maybe it matters to you?


The active x seats seem indestructible so far.
 
Last edited:
If you will be towing heavy loads often diesel is the way to go. I tow my tt and boat and still get good mpg with 7.3. I get 15/16 mpg on the highway when not towing. Good luck.
 
I really like my new diesel. I could never justify the cost coming from a BBC and a BGE prior but, towing and getting 5 mpg and stopping all the time for fuel towing just got old. I got 9 mpg on my first big trip with the PSD towing, which gave me over 250 mile range and really brought the stress level down. Plus, I could use the diesel lanes and not have to try fit into a regular gas station which always was annoying with the gassers and big trailers. I can't say I use the extra power empty but with the trailer it's very nice to have.
 
I’ve heard that Argon Blue 7.3’s with the BAP get more pussy than a PowerStroke Platinum could ever hope for ;). The girls tell me it’s the BAP that really reals them in. I have them all fill out a survey before they leave in the morning.
IMG_1768.webp
 
Last edited:
You can get an extended gas tank if all you care about is MPG/range. You didn't mention towing so why else do you want diesel?
Because diesels rock lol jk I’ve been running diesels 20 years and at this time I have no need for it I don’t haul anything but I’m so used to diesels I can’t go back the driving feel/power just isn’t there with gassers unless you slap a whipple on it then you’re running 93oct and getting what 8mpg
 
You can get an extended gas tank if all you care about is MPG/range. You didn't mention towing so why else do you want diesel?
They make a bigger tank for gasses now?

Buy a diesel.
 
Just talking shit.

Don't take me serious.

But honestly....

There's no replacement for..... compression ratio. 😘
 
I’ve heard that Argon Blue 7.3’s with the BAP get more pussy than a PowerStroke Platinum could ever hope for ;). The girls tell me it’s the BAP that really reals them in. I have them all fill out a survey before they leave in the morning.View attachment 262279
Dude.

I was very close to going for the argon blue.

But something about that particular truck didn't feel right.

Beautiful color.
 
Towing heavy? Get the Diesel.
Not towing heavy? Keep what you got.
For $3K you can get the larger 58-gal tank from TF (I average 700 miles per tank). A ~$12K up charge for the diesel (+higher fuel prices) kind of defeats the point if it's about cost. Even with the expense of the $3K 58-gal tank from TF, $9K buys a whole lot of unleaded gas.
My $0.02
 

My Tremor rig (right) and my son-in -laws snow plow 250 9Both diesel) making quick work of a stuck fedex truck.
 
I think the only instance where I MIGHT suggest not going diesel lol is if someone runs to the dealer for everything maintenance wise I mean, as long as you do your own oil, fuel filters and what not it’s all good because the dealers charge obscene amounts for diesel maintenance
 
To get a diesel or not to get a diesel, that is a difficult question. Is your purchase driven by data or emotion?

There's no denying that sweet sound of the turbo spinning up and the way that engine purs. The 1,200 foot lbs of torque can move mountains, and the fuel economy is fantastic relative to the gas engine. A good diesel engine can run for hundreds of thousands of miles. If you simply like or want a diesel engine, then its an emotional purchase and you likely won't be fully satisfied with a gas engine. There's nothing wrong with buying the engine for this reason and you won't ever be kicking yourself wishing you had made a different decision.

But, there is a reason the 7.3 gas engine exists for these trucks. Despite how awesome a diesel engine is, it may not be the right engine for you. It depends on your "why". You mentioned that you keep shopping for diesel engine trucks. Why is that? Do you tow or haul heavy loads frequently? Is the majority of your driving long distances? If planning to do your own maintenance, are you comfortable with the added steps that a diesel requires? Do you live in a place where it gets really cold in the winter where you've got to account for fuel gelling? Do you have access to high-volume fuel stations where the diesel fuel is likely to be good?

When I last ran the numbers, the fuel economy savings on the diesel when accounting for the difference in price between a gallon of regular gas versus a gallon of diesel and the added upcharge to get the diesel engine, it was at least 150K miles until you reached a breakeven where the diesel starts saving you money. I didn't factor the extra costs of fuel filters, disaster prevention kits, or replacing the fuel pump into that equation which would drive that breakeven point up.

With the gas engine, you can do all the things the diesel can do, but with much worse fuel economy. The engine is a simple design, so maintenance and repairs are easier. If you want more power, you can add a super charger. If you want a more aggressive exhaust, a cat-back or full exhaust replacement will get you there. These two mods will run you about the cost of the diesel engine option (maybe a bit more if you have someone else do the installs).
 
I got my 26 HO in couple of months ago. It's been my daily driver and I've done one 400 mile road trip so far. In my normal commute, I average about 17 MPG, on the longer freeway drives, I was at 20.7 MPG with a bed full of camping gear.

My previous truck was a 2014 Toyota Tundra, so it's not a fair comparison, but I do love the effortless power the diesel has. What's better is the range between stops. My old truck needed fuel every 225 miles before the light came on. The HO does that before the halfway mark. Yes, there are larger fuel tanks available, and are a great alternative. When I did the rough math and the pros/cons list, it was really pretty equal. In the end, my wife asked me "just pick what you want" and I ended up with the HO (the engine choice, not calling my wife a ho).
 
It will take a long time for the diesel fuel economy to offset the cost of maintenance and upfront cost for the engine, but I wouldn't get a 7.3L gasser after having two 6.7HO's. I average 19.1 mixed fuel economy unloaded with the diesel on 35" tires and have DTE of close to 700 normally without having the add a larger tank or mess with anything.
 
Diesel or not to Diesel all comes down to need, want, desire followed shortly by pocket book.

@Optimus🤖 & @DTX2023Tremor along with others made good discussion points.

Being out west, where there are mountains elevations ranging up to ~7,000 plus just to go to Sturgis or points east like Omaha - normally aspirated engines ala stock 7.3 loses about 3% power for every 1,000ft increase in elevation. Using this formula based upon my location and use 6.7HO was way to go, at least that's what I told the wife 🤪

My personal practical guide deisel ownership, this is FWIW as opinions, personal experience and mileage will vary
  • Fuel additive what you use is your choice but use it every time at the pump,
  • Oil and oil filter changes every 10,000 miles, fuel filters everyother oil change, (every 20,000miles).
  • Engine air filter every 10,000 - buy air filters on line and DIY - dealership charges way too much
  • Drive it like you stole it once it's warmed up- in town stop and go are not good - I normally have 3 trips/week at freeway speeds 70-85mph for a 2 hour round trip keeps DPF regen cycle happy
  • Running @9500lbs with 37's Smart Cap mpg is honest 16.8 at 78-85mph on road trip
The expenses at a minimum for a 6.7HO want to budget for:
  • S&B 60 gallon fuel tank
  • S&B DTE module
  • Banks iDash
  • Banks Pedal Monster
Be adivised that once you start down the "mod" path, it's fun amazing info here, and buckle up wallet emptying but very gratifiying 🥳🎉
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom