Talk me out of buying a diesel ?

I hear you on the gas station stops, but definitely run the math before you jump ship! The upfront cost of upgrading to the 6.7L on a '26, plus taking on a new payment, is going to buy a lot of gas for your '22. You’d have to drive a ridiculous number of miles just to break even on a few extra MPG, especially when you factor in DEF, more expensive oil changes, and fuel filter replacements.
But the gas you are buying is throw away money. Might as well spend it on something that adds value to both resale and functionality of the truck.
 
I originally ordered a 2022 7.3 tremor, honestly it’s been a good truck, just normal maintenance with no real issues other than stopping at every gas station you see. I know we don’t buy these trucks for mileage but still would be nice to get over 12 on the road, empty not towing. After hearing all the talk about the ‘27 models makes me wonder if it’s time to find a ‘26 diesel tremor and be done with the gas. I always said I would never buy another new truck and was gonna drive my ‘22 forever but I keep finding myself looking for diesel trucks for sale and even went and test drove a few of them…. I know the def issues can be a thing but I have many friends with 200,000+ miles on new Ford trucks with minimal issues. Will I regret getting rid of the ‘22 model for a ‘26? Kind of seems like I will but who knows…
I have owned 3 Ford diesel trucks since 1987, all purchased new. My current 22 is my pride and joy and will likely be my last truck. The former 2 were still running when I sold or traded them, with more than 150K on them. I only upgraded for the newest generation of amenities and because I could afford to do so. I stuck with diesels because they just run forever with proper maintenance. Fuel economy is outstanding and routine maintenance is a breeze.

I don't tow heavy, but when I do tow (around 6000 pounds) I barely notice the trailer there with the current 22. But to be quite honest, if I already owned the 7.3 Zilla, I probably wouldn't trade it simply because of fuel economy if it was bought specifically because that's what you wanted at the time. The fuel difference will take an incredible long time to offset the expense of going to the diesel. However, if fuel economy is the driving factor and you are OK with the additional costs, go for it. You will absolutely love the trucks capabilities and longevity.

One more note, don't worry about DEF. It is ridiculous how many people are afraid of this factor alone. Every diesel on the road these days uses DEF and the failure rate is miniscule, generally not due to the DEF but rather poor maintenance. And furthermore, the fuel pump issues have been addressed many times over and I'm sure if you took a poll, the number of people just on this forum, who have had their fuel pump fail on the 6.7 compared to those that didn't have any issues, would be less than the failure rate of the 7.3 in the same conditions. In either case it is extremely rare.
 
I thought about going 7.3L when I "upgraded" from my 2012 6.7 to my 2023. But I couldn't do it. I like the power of the 6.7 and I can tow without even noticing the trailer and still get good fuel economy.

Maintenance cost are slightly higher sure.

15Qt of oil vs 8QT ($100 with filter Motorcraft from Wallyworld)
Fuel Filter changes every other oil change ~$80 (Ford says 30k miles but every 10k is preferred)
DEF ~$9 SuperTech jug from Wallyworld
Your choice of fuel additive

Otherwise the rest is the same stuff you would worry about on the 7.3L
 
Get the diesel. Skip the $4k in wheels and tires and there is your maintenance funds for four years or more. Better to have the power and not need it than to need it and not have it ~Unknown
 
For the EXACT reasons you are asking I bought my first PowerStroke in 2004 CCLB the 6.0L flavor. Traded up to the 2006 CCLB 6.0L for the coil spring front, sold off locally. Picked up a 2010 CCLB 6.4L DRW cause I thought I was going to live the "RV life". Traded up to a 2015 CCLB 6.7L to get out the DRW. Now sitting happily in a 2022 CCLB 6.7L....at some point to get a newer truck.

Get the diesel....stop asking permission. Start living. :love: :love: :love:

:cool::cool:🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲
 
If you want a diesel, buy a diesel.

the only real reason to get one is if you tow heavy a lot. the range and power are the main benefits.

gasser hd's have come a long way and many of the newer gasser's have a higher tow rating than the older diesels.

there are a mountain of concerns that come with modern diesels and most of the reasons people use to justify them usually don't pan out.
 
If you will be towing heavy loads often diesel is the way to go. I tow my tt and boat and still get good mpg with 7.3. I get 15/16 mpg on the highway when not towing. Good luck.
Dang I have never ever got over 12 with my truck no matter how I drive it
 
  • Like
Reactions: ACL
If you want a diesel, buy a diesel.

the only real reason to get one is if you tow heavy a lot. the range and power are the main benefits.

gasser hd's have come a long way and many of the newer gasser's have a higher tow rating than the older diesels.

there are a mountain of concerns that come with modern diesels and most of the reasons people use to justify them usually don't pan out.
Yea I do tow quite a bit but trying to talk myself out of spending $80K😆
 
You can get an extended gas tank if all you care about is MPG/range. You didn't mention towing so why else do you want diesel?
Yeah, I left that out, but I do tow cattle and horses multiple times a week it seems like
 
What drive cycle are you talking about here? Steady state, stop and go, mix? If steady state, you should be getting over 12, even at a higher average speed.

Both trucks have their pros/cons but if fuel economy is your biggest gripe I wouldn't be trading just for that. What would that cost you at the end of the day? $40k?

My annoyance was range with the 34gal tank when towing, so I put a 43gal aux tank in the bed and can refill on the fly if necessary. Issue solved! :cool:
It don’t matter what kind of driving, long straight roads, start and stop etc, it’s always between 10-12.. And when towing my cattle or horses I don’t even dare check😆, not that mileage is the reason I bought a big truck but it’s crazy to see people saying they can get 15 out of these big heavy trucks with a 4.30 rear end
 
It don’t matter what kind of driving, long straight roads, start and stop etc, it’s always between 10-12.. And when towing my cattle or horses I don’t even dare check😆, not that mileage is the reason I bought a big truck but it’s crazy to see people saying they can get 15 out of these big heavy trucks with a 4.30 rear end
My best tank over 55k miles was 14.5 mpg. That was coming back from somewhere to Dallas and the drive must have been mostly downhill and had a good tailwind.

Lifetime average is 12 mpg, but that's also because about 25k miles has been with the added weight or 37" tires. Most of my tanks as of late range between 10.5 - 12.5 mpg, depending on amount of street and highway driving.
 
Simple... If you want a diesel buy a diesel. I didn't want a diesel so I didn't buy one. I don't understand the conundrum here.

Besides, the main problem you have here is looking at the front end of that new truck. Especially when you already have a '22 which everyone agrees is the best year.

I guess what you need to do is sell your '22 7.3 and buy a '22 6.7 if you want a diesel.
 
Simple... If you want a diesel buy a diesel. I didn't want a diesel so I didn't buy one. I don't understand the conundrum here.

Besides, the main problem you have here is looking at the front end of that new truck. Especially when you already have a '22 which everyone agrees is the best year.

I guess what you need to do is sell your '22 7.3 and buy a '22 6.7 if you want a diesel.
Good point
 
I can't believe y'all get such crap mileage in SRW trucks!
Best mileage I have gotten in my truck is 17.46 (partial top off, didn't have a regen) Worst was 7.64 towing my 22l 5th wheel.
Usually average 14-15MPG every tank.
 
Simple... If you want a diesel buy a diesel. I didn't want a diesel so I didn't buy one. I don't understand the conundrum here.

Besides, the main problem you have here is looking at the front end of that new truck. Especially when you already have a '22 which everyone agrees is the best year.

I guess what you need to do is sell your '22 7.3 and buy a '22 6.7 if you want a diesel.
@Redoggs
I think this is really the biggest takeaway if you’re not going to be using a diesel for a specific task that diesels are known to excel at (basically just towing heavy with a better QOL than a gas truck)

My company has a fleet of about 15 ford diesel superduties dating back to a 2011 with 289k miles. I have been slowly going through and replacing these trucks with gas trucks due to the fact we don’t really pull anything and have a tractor trailer for when we do.
The maintenance on diesels is significantly higher than a gas engine. For our use case a non modified truck over 150k starts to cost anywhere between 6-12k/ year in additional maintenance compared to before they cross that 150k miles point. Of course you can dump money into the truck while it’s young to help with some of those costs but it will effect (in some cases dramatically) your ability to sell the truck when you are ready to.

I have driven a diesel since I turned 16 and bought an 03 6.0l and dumped all 15k I made in my first summer construction job into bulletproofing it. I will probably always have a diesel. But I do things because I want to and not because they make the most sense
 
We went to Yellowstone last month and towed a ~7000 lb trailer with my 2026 7.3 and didn't have any issues at all. Very rough math, I could have saved $50 on fuel with diesel over the 560 mile drive (Denver to Bridge Bay campground). I would only need to make that trip another 200 times to break even! :)
 
Last edited:
To that point, the 7.3 Gas gets significantly more torque to the rear wheels than the 7.3 Powerstroke ever did by the time you multiply 485 lb ft through ratios in 1-2-3-4. I always say it’s most similar to the mid 2000’s 6.0 Powerstroke in towing performance/ torque at the rear wheels.

The Ford 460 BB was 410 LB FT, (same as today’s 5.0 Coyote) and the E40D ratios were 2.71-0.71 verses the 10R140 4.61-0.63. The 7.3 is the most capable gasser ever rolled off a Ford assembly line no doubt, but with today’s huge campers etc and growing tow capacities the diesel still very much retains its advantages in torque and fuel economy.
I have a 2020 Tremor. They cost more off the lot. They cost more to drive for fuel. They have severe problems w the Bosch CP4 high pressure pump (repairs are terribly expensive, don’t ask me how I know), a disaster prevention kit to bypass/patch this issue is a couple of thousand $), they’re heavier, and they require DEF, which is an entirely ridiculous issue that is apparently being addressed by our govt.

All that being said, I have a 2020 Tremor DIESEL, and I still can’t talk myself, or you, out of having a diesel F250/350. It’s the best driving truck I’ve ever had. It pulls heavy loads on the mountains of southwest Colorado w ease (literally can barely tell that dump trailer full of rocks and gravel is back there except mileage decreases). And it’s just a pleasure to drive, as long as I don’t pay too much attention at the pump.
 
No reason not to if you want it. I will tell you this if the mileage is what’s bothering you though: I have an L5P and Powerstroke within my business, you are going to be disappointed if you think you are going to get the mileage folks in here claim. I have never seen above 17-18 MPG highway with either of the diesels. Diesels average about 15.8 MPG, my personal 7.3 averages 13.2 MPG. With a trailer in tow you will see a much larger improvement, empty not so much.

For tow mules they pay themselves back fast, as then it’s 9-10 MPG vs 14-15 MPG.
I was going to say something about the crazy fuel mileage claims up to 22 or 23 I followed some Youtubers and others and yes don’t expect to get 22 or better or anything like that

That said I took my high output 6.7 on a nearly 5000 mile road trip last month and across nearly 3 days of driving the first portion to get across the country I got 20 and some of that was construction and junk and some of that was going 80 or more through the absolute middle of nowhere in the middle of the country with the speed limit is literally 80

For drives like that even though I don’t have any need for diesel doing it with 20 miles a gallon and a 60 gallon tank sure was nice
 
My .02, as a first time diesel owner, non-Tremor, and don't tow...

I've had multiple gas trucks - a retrofitted CTS-V blower on a GMC 2500hd 6.0, a '12 5.0 F150, '18 F150 3.5 Platty, and now a '18 6.7 King Ranch.

I bought it for road trips and exploring with my wife, and now 55k over the last 2yrs and we still love every second. Heated/cooled/massaging seats, the center console fridge, Starlink mounted on the roof, ipad on the dash for movies, and just cruise.

I average 17mpg on the highway with 37's loaded up. That's with full weight loss.

I'm OCD on preventative maintenance, so I spend money proactively to keep things running smooth, while others will fix things as they appear. But I buy in bulk from RockAuto and do my own maintenance. That significantly cut ownership costs - for example an oil change is less than $100, but the dealership or shop charges $200+ in DFW.

That said, I've owned 50+ personal vehicles over the last 25 years, and this 6.7 is top 3 ever.

Buy a diesel and enjoy!
 
Back
Top Bottom