Talk me out of buying a diesel ?

And even crappier fuel economy
Yeah - I get 16-17 mpg unladen, 7.5mpg with our home behind us with the diesel, way cheaper than premium fuel 11mpg, unladen, 4.5 mpg towing and 6k oil changes with the Whipple.

And way quicker, I was a diesel hater before this truck….total convert, although buying DEF is a drag, it’s quiet, quick and doesn’t smell.
 
If you want a diesel I would move asap. I would take the OG 6.7 over the 6.7ho. That won’t be an option soon. Just personal preference, and less over cost on maintenance related projects.
 
If you want a diesel I would move asap. I would take the OG 6.7 over the 6.7ho. That won’t be an option soon. Just personal preference, and less over cost on maintenance related projects.

Couldn't agree more. Plus the front end on the non HO trucks doesn't look like it was drawn with crayons by someone with a room temperature IQ.
 
If you want a diesel I would move asap. I would take the OG 6.7 over the 6.7ho. That won’t be an option soon. Just personal preference, and less over cost on maintenance related projects.
Unless I’m reading that wrong, you are saying that the HO maintenance is more costly than the SO?
 
I do not doubt that at all.
. Now imagine a 7 liter Coyote, and tell me you'd still take the Godzilla.

The 7.3 is an excellent, powerful, low compression workhorse of an engine, and class leading, no doubt.

I'm not knocking it, it just doesn't suit my needs
I wouldn’t exactly call 10.5:1 low compression. It took a lot of combustion chamber design and great knock control to make 10.5 possible with PI. Ford has always used 9.0 to 9.8:1 for HD gassers until the 7.3 where they bumped to 10.5 for the first time.

I’d buy a 7.0 Coyote, but probably not in an HD truck. First glaring issue is the fuel economy with the CFM of air those heads would be feeding. You’d likely be seeing single digit MPG’s empty. Say those heads flow 500 CFM, that air needs to be met with a lot of Gas to keep it in the required 14.7 AFR on a gasoline engine. A 5.0 Coyote on the intake side acts much more like a 6.2 liter engine by volume of air it consumes (320 CFM or so). Remember engines are just an air pump, the 5.0 gets good fuel efficiency marks because it has variable displacement and very high compression. Neither of those technologies are very desired in the HD market. 12:1 necessitates the addition of direct injection to manage knock, it can’t be done with PI at that point. Ford has problems with DI bleed down and cylinder washing in both the 3.5 EB and 5.0 V8, so probably not a plus for the Hd market yet again. Much easier to access a port injector. To access the lower injectors on the 5.0 is a chore and a half. If the 3.5 EB or 5.0 starts bleeding off a lower injector you are down and pulling an intake manifold. If the 7.3 loses an injector 5 minutes with an 10 mm in the auto zone parking lot and you are back on the road.

Lastly, the engine would be much larger and heavier than the 7.3 Godzilla. The biggest boot would be low end torque would still be similar as a 7.0 Coyote would have very wide open intake ports, that moves your torque curve up to favor high RPM. I think if Ford made a large coyote it would not be exactly what you loved about the half ton engine and a lot would be modified to fit the HD market as I highlights above.

In a Mustang or F-150 F*ck yes I’ll take a 580 LB FT of torque 7.0 Liter DOHC V8. I get your point but it’s not exactly a winner for an HD truck over what Ford came up with in 2020 with the 7.3. They thought about drilling the 6.2 out etc, but it didn’t make much sense when program managers explored all the options.
 
This is about to get interesting…. Basically identical engine. Same parts, same schedule…..

Unless he trolling, DEF usage tends to be higher, but that’s simply because where it CAN operate on the power vs emissions curve.

Put the HO Calibration on an SO and it does the same thing…..
 
Happy enough with my SO.
 
I see a joke coming from @Optimus🤖 on why HOs cost more money. :ROFLMAO:
HOs are notoriously high-maintenance. They constantly need their filters checked, drink premium juice, and are incredibly loud when they don't get their way 🤪.
 
1784398643424.webp
 
Correct. More oil more def!
Don’t all 23+ diesels take 15 quarts? I don’t know, THB. Mine does.
DEF consumption is related to fuel consumption. Depends on how you drive. 23+ trucks guzzle the stuff like Amy Winehouse at an open bar, as compared to pre-2020 models. I’ve never seen any compelling evidence of one drinking it faster.
 
Don’t all 23+ diesels take 15 quarts? I don’t know, THB. Mine does.
DEF consumption is related to fuel consumption. Depends on how you drive. 23+ trucks guzzle the stuff like Amy Winehouse at an open bar, as compared to pre-2020 models. I’ve never seen any compelling evidence of one drinking it faster.
Correct. 2023+ take 15 quarts and 2022- take 13 quarts.
 
Back
Top Bottom