Talk me out of buying a diesel ?

Correct. 2023+ take 15 quarts and 2022- take 13 quarts.
Confirmed as accurate. HO or SO take the same oil volume to fill. No increased maintenance cost there.
1784412587353.webp
 
I've owned both. I FAR prefer the diesel.
I’ve also owned 2021. 7.3 gas and currently 2024 6.7 HO diesel and would never go back to gas. Diesel is a game changer I can’t wait to drive it everyday.
 
I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again. Do You
I think I’ve seen this one, isn’t the 6.8 truck the F-150 transmission (10R100) against a 10R140 7.3 (160 LBS more rotating mass)? And then a basic stripped 6.7 SO versus a loaded out 6.7 HO? The comparison was pretty terrible for both the gas and diesel from memory and proved absolutely nothing.

Nobody is standing start flooring their super duty to race it. The HO 6.7 and 7.3 Gas both will respectively hold a higher gear and command more torque than their standard or “base” counterpart towing a trailer of the same weight.
 
Last edited:
If you want power to spare. Buy a diesel!!! The fuel cost savings are a bonus. The resale value with a diesel covers a lot of the initial cost.

I never miss crawling up a mountain pass towing anymore.

Cheers 🍻
 
If you want power to spare. Buy a diesel!!! The fuel cost savings are a bonus. The resale value with a diesel covers a lot of the initial cost.

I never miss crawling up a mountain pass towing anymore.

Cheers 🍻
And where the hell have you been, Mr!?
 
Last edited:
Taking care of my mom in Everett, Wa. Close call for her but getting better. Thanks for asking.

Cheers 🍻
Man, I'm sorry. I know how that goes. Sending prayers your way! You'll definitely need a vacation soon so hope to see you in Moab.

Godspeed, brother!
 
Whoever thinks newer is better nowadays is out of a touch with reality! 🤦‍♂️
Agreed 100% if I could find an old pre emission 5.9 Cummins with insane low miles in cherry condition I’d dump this new crap all the new shit is way to finicky
 
Agreed 100% if I could find an old pre emission 5.9 Cummins with insane low miles in cherry condition I’d dump this new crap all the new shit is way to finicky
You're spot on! I ordered an early 98' 6BTA5.9 12V Cummins 180HP/420TQ and drove for 17 years. Then I thought I hit the jackpot when my 14' 24V Cummins arrived 385HP/860TQ, wow, 2x the HP & TQ, but quickly realized I didn't have an engine, but a complex fuel, air and exhaust treatment diesel system, along with computers and a new ~3,500 fault code library. Only kept that one for 4 years while under warranty. So now I'm now coming back with an F350 as a daily driver, the 7.3L is a no-brainer for me.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ACL
I sold my 6.7 HO bc I couldn’t get it up to operating temp, and exhaust filter was routinely sitting 80-100%. I used the truck as a daily between my house and office. 5k elevation 5 miles each way. Still put on 1k miles a month with other activities, but all short drives, never high speed. Was just not good for my use case. Loved the power, but hated the headache.

When it got to go out for towing a boat, fishing, off-roading long distances for hunts it was fantastic, but thats only 5-10% of the time. Reason why I bought a Raptor R, and now just ordered a 27 marsh gray 7.3 KR. Fits my use case better, even at high elevation.
 
I sold my 6.7 HO bc I couldn’t get it up to operating temp, and exhaust filter was routinely sitting 80-100%. I used the truck as a daily between my house and office. 5k elevation 5 miles each way. Still put on 1k miles a month with other activities, but all short drives, never high speed. Was just not good for my use case. Loved the power, but hated the headache.

When it got to go out for towing a boat, fishing, off-roading long distances for hunts it was fantastic, but thats only 5-10% of the time. Reason why I bought a Raptor R, and now just ordered a 27 marsh gray 7.3 KR. Fits my use case better, even at high elevation.
Huh I drive even less than that (per year) truck is over a year old and only has 5600 miles but my normal trip is 12 miles one way and at least half that is highway at 70+mph my dpf never goes above 60-65% regens every 500 miles like clock work and for whatever reason this 25 regens supper fast last one zeroed out in literally 4-5 miles
 
Huh I drive even less than that (per year) truck is over a year old and only has 5600 miles but my normal trip is 12 miles one way and at least half that is highway at 70+mph my dpf never goes above 60-65% regens every 500 miles like clock work and for whatever reason this 25 regens supper fast last one zeroed out in literally 4-5 miles
That’s great! I don’t drive highway and never get 70+. All mountain town driving in town.
 
I have previously owned a diesel super duty, It was the WORST engine Ford EVER built (Ironic, the year I buy one the come out with the the disastrous 6.0 Power Stroke) The 19qt oil changes, the relentless turbo problems, it was a nightmare truck. That cured me of diesel desire. 7.3, simple, old school.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ACL
I have previously owned a diesel super duty, It was the WORST engine Ford EVER built (Ironic, the year I buy one the come out with the the disastrous 6.0 Power Stroke) The 19qt oil changes, the relentless turbo problems, it was a nightmare truck. That cured me of diesel desire. 7.3, simple, old school.
A bulletproofed 6.0 is a great platform. If I wanted to get away from my 6.7 but stay diesel, the mintest king ranch (with rear captains chairs too 🤌🏻) bulletproofed with a full Carli suspension would be an amazing truck. My last 6.0 was extremely fast.
 
FWIW recommend five upgrades for 6.7's - make your own choice as to vendor
  1. Intalke either Pusher or PPE - Pusher allows you to install after market cold air intake - PPE does not my preference was to stay with OEM intake
  2. Inner cooler PPE or Mishimoto both come with charge pipes which adrresses the issue @Optimus referred too
  3. Banks Pedal Monster - removes throttle lag making truck much more responsive aka fun to drive
  4. Banks iDash or Edge Insight - real time information for that OEM instrumentation does not disply very useful monitoring EGT's when towing
  5. 60 gallon fuel tank either S&B or Triton it's really nice being able to run ~700 before haivng to refuel
Pay close attention to engine oil/filter and fuel filter service itnervals along with using quality fuel additive thereby avoiding potential large maitenance bills - old story about ounce of pevention being worth a pound of cure 🤪
 
Back
Top Bottom