S&B 60 gal tank

I don't think it is any less. Besides there are other things
that hang lower and what bugs me the most is the exposed
transmission cooler. For $90K I get that?

Don’t give Ford any ideas, they will have an extra $1K option to raise the cooler higher.

Exactly. The break over angle is probably reduced a bit, but otherwise other stuff will get hit before the tank does.

I have the S&B Tank - you have skid plates and likely a bit of breakover angle loss, but otherwise as noted above a lot of other things will hit before the tank. I added 37x12.5x18 tires and a lift, so any loss due to tank has been made up with the updates in that area.

The range of the tank is awesome - if I am not towing much, I may go a month without getting fuel. Filled up a few days ago and range noted as 971 miles - I had traveled just under 800 miles before the fill up - still have 1/4 tank - but station had such a good price decided to not pass it up!

About to jump back into dune season and a trip to Sand Hollow and Mammoth also before year end. Range when towing is a game changer - can tow any of my regular destinations without needing to stop for fuel which is a nice.

Best mod I have made on my truck for sure!

What is everyone doing with their old fuel tanks? I bought the 60 gal tank but haven’t installed it yet. I don’t want to throw it away or sell it but it’s so damn big it’s going to take up a lot of real estate in my garage.

What is everyone doing with their old fuel tanks? I bought the 60 gal tank but haven’t installed it yet. I don’t want to throw it away or sell it but it’s so damn big it’s going to take up a lot of real estate in my garage.
I left mine with installer - too big to keep.

Fill up once a month. The change in clearance is bettered by the range in the tank.
Was getting 19 to 20 mpg on the highway during this run. Mileage kept creeping up. I am guessing over 1200 miles total range with S&B 60.
IMG_2434.jpeg

If the skid plate spacers provided are 1”, as per the website, I don’t see how the ground clearance can be 1.75” less.
There's an additional spacer that's 1.75" listed in the directions AFAIK

Has anyone done any decent offroading with this thing, or been in deep snow/sand where the clearance could be an issue? What has you experience been in those circumstances?

Has anyone done any decent offroading with this thing, or been in deep snow/sand where the clearance could be an issue? What has you experience been in those circumstances?
If you get in a situation your that deep in sand, you have bigger issues to deal with.

If you get in a situation your that deep in sand, you have bigger issues to deal with.
I've buried this thing to the frame in loose sand and gotten out fine mimicking crawl control like on the Toyotas--literally dug itself out (I think you can set trail cruise to 1mph and basically do the same). All I'm asking is whether anyone has found this drop in clearance to be prohibitive in any of their instances of offroading.

I've buried this thing to the frame in loose sand and gotten out fine mimicking crawl control like on the Toyotas--literally dug itself out (I think you can set trail cruise to 1mph and basically do the same). All I'm asking is whether anyone has found this drop in clearance to be prohibitive in any of their instances of offroading.
I have also been to the frame in deep sand towing my toy box and was able to air down and work my way out. I did not find the fuel tank to be a detriment in that condition. The tank is well above the axels and diff's front and rear. Only place I see an issue is on breakover - you lose that 1.75" +/- at the rear of the tank, so you might not clear something that you would clear with OEM tank.

Also note that the tank drops down from front to back, so as you move towards the rear wheels the tanks drops futher down as it is "deepest" at the back of the tank (that is the point that is 1.75" lower - front is same as OEM). It is above the differentials and the shock mounts, but no question it does sit down - see photos below.

So if you offroad all the time and are pushing the break over angle - then maybe not the best idea. If just offroading once in awhile - then the tank range will pay dividens in so many other ways it will be worthwhile.

Looking front to rear.jpg
Looking from rear to front.jpg
Side View - Slopes down from Front to Back-1.jpg
Looking front to rear.jpgLooking from rear to front.jpgLooking front to rear-1.jpgLooking front to rear-1.jpgLooking front to rear-2.jpgLooking front to rear-3.jpgLowest Point - rear of the Tank.jpgSide View - Slopes down from Front to Back.jpgSide View - Slopes down from Front to Back-1.jpg

Attachments

• Looking from rear to front-1.jpg
    Looking from rear to front-1.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 23
I have also been to the frame in deep sand towing my toy box and was able to air down and work my way out. I did not find the fuel tank to be a detriment in that condition. The tank is well above the axels and diff's front and rear. Only place I see an issue is on breakover - you lose that 1.75" +/- at the rear of the tank, so you might not clear something that you would clear with OEM tank.

Also note that the tank drops down from front to back, so as you move towards the rear wheels the tanks drops futher down as it is "deepest" at the back of the tank (that is the point that is 1.75" lower - front is same as OEM). It is above the differentials and the shock mounts, but no question it does sit down - see photos below.

So if you offroad all the time and are pushing the break over angle - then maybe not the best idea. If just offroading once in awhile - then the tank range will pay dividens in so many other ways it will be worthwhile.

View attachment 61042
off topic but what size tires are you running and are they oem wheels? How well does the spare fit? Looks strapped but maybe just as a backup?

off topic but what size tires are you running and are they oem wheels? How well does the spare fit? Looks strapped but maybe just as a backup?
That is the Carli Trophy Hitch he has. OEM spare carrier will not accommodate heavy larger tires without becoming fatigued. Those are Method rims and Toyo AT3 tires.

View attachment 61041View attachment 61042View attachment 61049View attachment 61041View attachment 61042View attachment 61044View attachment 61044View attachment 61045View attachment 61046View attachment 61047View attachment 61048View attachment 61049

Big help, thank much for taking the time on the pics.

I am also now using "0" miles to fill as my guide to fill the tank - I have had between 2-4 gallons left on my last few fills. Last week I towed my 10k toybox home from Sand Hollow to S.Cal - 421 miles at 8.9 mpg and still showed 125 miles to empty. Then towed the next morning 62 miles to drop trailer off at my strorage garage in San Diego (now about 7.5k lbs in weight without RZR) and it showed 65 miles to empty when I filled at 65 miles to empty it took 53 gallons - so @ 8.9 mpg that indicated I was pretty much right on with the miles to empty - having 7 gallons left.

Regardless - love the tank and the fact that I can drive from my home in S.Cal to Sand Hollow with no required fuel stops. Was nice to fill up in Huricane UT and pay $4.79 per gallon for diesel, after paying $6.49 per gallon at home in S. Cal! When I filled up yesterday prices back down to $6.09 per gallon, here, but man was $4.79 fill of 57 gallons nice!

nice! I just did my first fill after changing my AFE bias. Filled at just under 50 DTE, still had about 7-8 gallons in the tank. So I think using 0 DTE as my fill time is doable, if my OCD mind will allow it
There's no way I could do this in my truck, I have had it say I have 75-100mi DTE and filled up with 57.5 gallons. I have reprogrammed the tank size with ForScan and did the PCM/IPC change, as well as AFE Bias calibration. 100mi is my zero now.

That is the Carli Trophy Hitch he has. OEM spare carrier will not accommodate heavy larger tires without becoming fatigued. Those are Method rims and Toyo AT3 tires.
Right on the money - 37x12.5x 18's

Right on the money - 37x12.5x 18's
Supercup, had a question for you on the Onx6 arc bar. Do you or can you get a measurement of the diameter of one of the light reflector ‘bowls’? This will let me determine how much light the grill will block when I put it behind the grill. Thank you :)

nCB6oT8.png

Last edited:
Supercup, had a question for you on the Onx6 arc bar. Do you or can you get a measurement of the diameter of one of the light reflector ‘bowls’? This will let me determine how much light the grill will block when I put it behind the grill. Thank you :)

nCB6oT8.png
you have 6 lights in 10" - they are about 1.625" +/-each

BD Light Pods-1.jpg
BD Light Pods-2.jpg
BD 10 inch pod - 6 lights.jpg

Attachments

• BD Light Pods.jpg
    BD Light Pods.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 3
Back