Rear axle weld issue recall ?

When I was visiting the Kentucky speedway and talking to the grounds keeper, he said that several of the new trucks parked in the speedway lots have “axle” marked on the drivers side window to alert someone that an axle replacement is due on the truck before it gets delivered. I wonder if these trucks are included in the recall numbers since they haven’t been delivered yet, not officially being recalled.
Yikes.

This recall is showing up on my Ford Pass app. I just saw it today and haven't rolled under the truck to take a look. I'm 99.9% sure I don't trust a dealer tech (of any level) to make a field-weld repair on the axle housing. In my opinion this is specialized work that only someone with axle fabrication experience should perform. If it was a race car or toy that would be one thing. This is my daily driver and I drive a lot compared to most. I can not afford to be down due to some tech "throwing a bead" on the spring seat and causing issues. Sure it would be covered under warranty if there was an issue after the repair but the down time, aggravation, and likely Ford Escape loaner are not why i spent $70k on a truck I'm sure there are top notch techs at many or even most dealers but I doubt welding on axles is one of the chapters in the Ford Tech text book.

Uneven heating / welding on a tube can very easily deform the tube causing any number of issues with bearing misalignment and temper/hardness changes being just a couple of them.

Does anyone know off hand if the axle housing is covered under 5/100,000 diesel powertrain warranty?

I can say, once an item is identified as "Recall" it stays there. No warranty will touch it. Warranty/Recall items are not related. "Some" Recalls often expire, they usually have a time period.

Have they even shipped all the trucks in the date range yet? I have 7.3 not a 6.7 with 5/11 build date and it hasn't shipped yet...recalls before they get delivered...Ford quality right there.
I have the 7.3 also...still awaiting shipment.......due next week

"receiptDate": "2021-02-16",
"releaseDate": "2021-06-22",
"etaStartDate": "2021-07-23",
"etaEndDate": "2021-07-29",
"productionDate": "2021-05-13",
"shipmentDate": "",
"transitDate": "07",
"make": "Ford",
"year": "2021",
"model": "SuperDuty",
"groupOrderType": "Retail (222R) (OBC8S)",
"trim": "F-250 LARIAT",
"vehicleLineDescription": "Superduty",
"market": "USA",
"status": "",
"primaryStatus": "Awaiting Shipment",

I have the 7.3 also...still awaiting shipment.......due next week

"receiptDate": "2021-02-16",
"releaseDate": "2021-06-22",
"etaStartDate": "2021-07-23",
"etaEndDate": "2021-07-29",
"productionDate": "2021-05-13",
"shipmentDate": "",
"transitDate": "07",
"make": "Ford",
"year": "2021",
"model": "SuperDuty",
"groupOrderType": "Retail (222R) (OBC8S)",
"trim": "F-250 LARIAT",
"vehicleLineDescription": "Superduty",
"market": "USA",
"status": "",
"primaryStatus": "Awaiting Shipment",
The recall just showed up on my FordPass App also. There were a few more details offered...

Attachments

• Axle.jpg
    Axle.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 131
The recall just showed up on my FordPass App also. There were a few more details offered...

This is interesting wording.

MAY BE INSUFFICIENT TO SUPPORT THE DESIGN LOAD CAPACITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE F-350 SRW 6.7L DIESEL

So in other words this problem could very well exist on 250’s and 7.3L trucks but they won’t fix it because it might not be a problem at their rated capacities?

So much for a 250 being able to do everything a 350 can in a pinch.

This is interesting wording.

So in other words this problem could very well exist on 250’s and 7.3L trucks but they won’t fix it because it might not be a problem at their rated capacities?

So much for a 250 being able to do everything a 350 can in a pinch.
I was thinking that as well. But then the 7.3L SRW only has a GVWR 200 pounds less than the 6.7L (11,300 vs 11,500). Can’t imagine they would be able to avoid fixing it for the 7.3L with just 200 pounds difference in the rating. Unless it’s the tow rating they’re concerned about rather than GVWR for some reason?

They even have the same axle IIRC, so axle weight rating is identical.

So I don’t know if we can use that as a gauge for whether they would fix it on the 250’s or not. Could be more vehicles are coming.

I was thinking that as well. But then the 7.3L SRW only has a GVWR 200 pounds less than the 6.7L (11,300 vs 11,500). Can’t imagine they would be able to avoid fixing it for the 7.3L with just 200 pounds difference in the rating. Unless it’s the tow rating they’re concerned about rather than GVWR for some reason?

They even have the same axle IIRC, so axle weight rating is identical.

So I don’t know if we can use that as a gauge for whether they would fix it on the 250’s or not. Could be more vehicles are coming.
I am guessing that the tow rating might be the differentiator. But I don't know for sure. Hopefully someone can get a hold of the inspection and repair procedure and post it. That ought to be quite a read.

Noooooo! I knew it was coming, but I just got the recall notice on FordPass. I still haven’t got my windshield recall fixed. I can’t wait to take it to the dealer for them to tell me they can’t fix it or something else stupid.

Here's a video of the issue with some good pics.
Don't see what a weld anywhere would do to correct an axle tube being crushed.

After watching the video and reading the recall I’m a little confused. How do the welds prevent the crushing of the axle housing? I can see how those welds prevent the housing from moving aft or rotating therefore disconnected driveshaft.

Based on those pics I would think that the axle housing is faulty, crushes which in turn breaks the weld points. Then driveshaft can disconnect.

It would seem that the fix would be more than a weld inspection. Yeah that will tell them if it’s already cracked but do absolutely nothing to prevent it from happening in the future. Just what I want to worry about on a $86k truck. WTF?

Sooooo….we need to break our axles so we can get a new one then? Instead of a weld, that I’m not smart enough to figure out how that’s going to keep my axle from crushing in the future. Is the weld somehow supposed to increase the thickness of the axle wall? I don’t think so!

Maybe they add a reinforcement plate between the axle tube and the spring perch? I know the BMW E36 and E46 suffered from a similar issue. The chassis points where the rear subframe would connect had a tendency to fail due to the thin sheet metal being used on the chassis. The answer was to weld in reinforcement plates at those points. The M3 had it from the factory, but the regular 3 series didn't. To a lesser degree, it was also an issue in the rear shock towers. Unfortunately, it was never recalled from the factory. It took a class action suit to get BMW to cover repairs, but it only covered the E46.

Maybe they add a reinforcement plate between the axle tube and the spring perch? I know the BMW E36 and E46 suffered from a similar issue. The chassis points where the rear subframe would connect had a tendency to fail due to the thin sheet metal being used on the chassis. The answer was to weld in reinforcement plates at those points. The M3 had it from the factory, but the regular 3 series didn't. To a lesser degree, it was also an issue in the rear shock towers. Unfortunately, it was never recalled from the factory. It took a class action suit to get BMW to cover repairs, but it only covered the E46.
I think the reinforcement plate is exactly their intended plan. I won’t trust this truck if the axle isn’t replaced. I think if the supply chain wasn’t so back up. We would be getting new axles.

I think the reinforcement plate is exactly their intended plan. I won’t trust this truck if the axle isn’t replaced. I think if the supply chain wasn’t so back up. We would be getting new axles.
That (the plate) makes some sense. Otherwise, it would seem that the purpose of the rework would be to just keep the axle from detaching even if it it did get crushed.

Maybe if you wait long enough you will get a new axle, vs being the first person to go in...

It'd be interesting to know under what exact conditions the axle would fail...

That (the plate) makes some sense. Otherwise, it would seem that the purpose of the rework would be to just keep the axle from detaching even if it it did get crushed.

Maybe if you wait long enough you will get a new axle, vs being the first person to go in...

It'd be interesting to know under what exact conditions the axle would fail...
I would imagine we would have to be near or at max payload for it to fail. My rig has 12000 miles on it and 10000 with my 1300lb-2000lb camper setup on it. I’m on the trails just about every week camping. In areas I probably shouldn’t be with this size of setup. And from what I can see no damage or deformation. My biggest fear is if the rear comes down hard one day and goes through that axle miles from where a wrecker can get to me. I’m f**ked!..Just going to have to wait it out Like you said. I hate to give up on this truck. But I just put a order in for a HD ram as an insurance policy. If Ford won’t make the repairs that make me comfortable. I will to have to let the tremor go.

Back