Rear axle weld issue recall ?

I was thinking that as well. But then the 7.3L SRW only has a GVWR 200 pounds less than the 6.7L (11,300 vs 11,500). Can’t imagine they would be able to avoid fixing it for the 7.3L with just 200 pounds difference in the rating. Unless it’s the tow rating they’re concerned about rather than GVWR for some reason?

They even have the same axle IIRC, so axle weight rating is identical.

So I don’t know if we can use that as a gauge for whether they would fix it on the 250’s or not. Could be more vehicles are coming.
The Gas F350 has a rear gross axle rating of 6950 and the diesel F350 has a rear gross axle rating of 6830

I contacted my dealer about the recall and they said they have the advanced notice from Ford, but haven’t been given anymore information on remediating the issue. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had any luck getting more information on this. Really hoping we can all get new axle tubes. The idea of having an axle tube being the weak point of a truck I bought for towing a large toyhauler and flatbed doesn’t sit too well with me.

"The idea of having an axle tube being the weak point of a truck I bought for towing a large toyhauler and flatbed doesn’t sit too well with me."

The work order was written by the American Bar Association.

I contacted my dealer about the recall and they said they have the advanced notice from Ford, but haven’t been given anymore information on remediating the issue. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had any luck getting more information on this. Really hoping we can all get new axle tubes. The idea of having an axle tube being the weak point of a truck I bought for towing a large toyhauler and flatbed doesn’t sit too well with me.
Seems that way with the dealers near me. I have an appointment on the 19th to have it checked.

Last edited:
I saw this on YouTube last night. Which reminds me I need to go look at my truck for a minute. :mad:

Don't hold out hope on getting a new axle, they are on backorder with no ETA. Don't blame Ford for this, its a common thing right now, parts just aren't available because of COVID shutdowns.

From my dealer "If it passes inspection, it will be welded" If it doesn't pass inspection, then Ford tells you that you shouldn't drive it until they can get parts......

Hope Ford's installing upgraded axles without this tube crush problem on newly built trucks, and not just a crap weld before installation

Im also curious what is different on the earlier trucks that were built before this recall window, did they have a thicker axle tube or just a better weld?

I just picked up a 2021 F250 Tremor this past weekend. It has a build date of 4/15/21, however it was just shipped to the dealer this past Friday and the axle has a sticker on it with the date 6/10/21. I'm not really sure exactly what the process was here? Not even sure what, if anything is different with the axle. There are no welds on the front or back of the spring perches.
AC8FCC6F-777D-42B9-AE15-D81B1CE44B0D.jpeg
AC1DF17D-2DFE-4CC7-93B5-A71618D69CA2.jpeg
327979A6-CD64-4F70-A89D-577D8054B408.jpeg

I just picked up a 2021 F250 Tremor this past weekend. It has a build date of 4/15/21, however it was just shipped to the dealer this past Friday and the axle has a sticker on it with the date 6/10/21. I'm not really sure exactly what the process was here? Not even sure what, if anything is different with the axle. There are no welds on the front or back of the spring perches.
View attachment 30145View attachment 30146View attachment 30147
F350’s only.

Word from my dealer “they need to see the truck before they order parts”. The parts needed to complete the weld procedure are “on back order until 8/20/21.”
Mig wire and aerosolized corrosion protection is backordered? The procedure document only mentions the axle itself not being available.

Mig wire and aerosolized corrosion protection is backordered? The procedure document only mentions the axle itself not being available.
They are supposed to remove the axle from the truck, so I think they have to order new ubolts and shock bolts too.

Last edited:
Official press release from Ford - https://s23.q4cdn.com/799033206/files/doc_news/2021/07/Ford-Safety-Recall-July-16-2021.pdf

"Dealers will inspect rear axle to determine if deformation is present. If the axle is deformed, the axle housing will be replaced. If axle is not deformed, the dealer will perform a weld repair on the spring seats."

😳

Dealer will perform a weld repair eh....no thanks on that.

So, if we’re affected we should ride it until it breaks, no?

I don’t trust a dealership with a microfiber around my truck let alone a welding torch.

1000% to all of this ⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

Back