Today I got a chance to program an extra key fob for Shadowfax.
First, why an extra key fob? Two reasons:
- As long as you have two programmed key fobs, you can program extras yourself without the cost and hassle of going to the dealership. Should I ever damage one, I can purchase and program a replacement myself since I'll have two extras.
- This key will act as a "valet" key of sorts. Useful not only for valets, but whenever my truck is in the shop. I won't have the mechanical key cut, nor will I attach a key for my Diamondback cover. This means I can lock the rear seat storage and glove box and whoever has the valet key won't be able to get into them without physical damage. While it won't keep them out of the bed of the truck, it will make it notably more difficult to get into the toolbox under the front cover of the Diamondback.
Second, credit to
@RedZilla for posting a link (an updated one from his original, no less!) to where to buy the replacement key fob. I've linked directly to Amazon in my parts list below, but here is a direct link to his post. If the Amazon link doesn't work, check that thread to see if there's an updated link available.
So I lost my key fob at work recently and was wondering what the best route to replace it is? dealerahip? can I do it in forscan? Automotive locksmith? I also want to be sure that the lost one is deactivated. Thanks for the help
www.fordtremor.com
Additionally,
@RedZilla provided correct programming instructions here that I followed:
I am considering getting a 3rd key fob. From what I read, if you lose one, you cannot program a new one yourself. I found a few folks selling OEM fobs for under $70 so I thought I would get one to have a backup, since I seem to lose, drown, smash or somehow ruin things in my pockets. Has...
www.fordtremor.com
I can confirm they work for a 22MY truck, as they worked with Shadowfax. Make sure to follow them closely. It took me a few attempts, likely because I was messing up the timing or something. I used the stopwatch on my iPhone to help manage the timing of everything.
Additionally, at least in the 22MY, the key ring is towards the back of the vehicle with the buttons facing up. Really, the fob only fits in one way.
Parts: