Project Shadowfax

Exactly! and now even the hybrid f150 powerboost got a badge. Maybe send them a photo and the’ll reconsider for MY23?:) Unless of course godzilla branding requires some special pattern rights they cant easily obtain.
True! Didn’t even think about the copyright issues that would come up if they tried to actually brand their truck with it.
 
Got a chance to drive Shadowfax on some winter roads. Quoting myself from another thread when it comes to thoughts on the tires and slippery mode:

Got to drive some actual winter roads, and ya the stock tires on the 22MY (can't speak to the earlier ones with the 3PMS) are very meh. They work in the snow, and they're predictable, but I feel like I'm getting excessive slip when accelerating, which also is a warning flag that I need to be careful about braking. Of course to solve the acceleration problem 4WD is there when needed.

Interestingly, I did try the slippery mode and when accelerating from a stop in snow it makes it notably easier for me to not break traction. Sure I could manage the throttle better in the first 5% of the pedal throw, but slippery mode means I have 25% to play with (number are made up based on how the pedal response feels to me). The mode doesn't seem to make any difference to me once moving.

Two other features that stood out, though in a bad way: rain sensing wipers and lane departure warning.

The rain sensing wipers were terrible in the messy, wet spray from winter roads. Sometimes they wouldn't detect the windshield was being plastered with muddy water, causing me to have to manually trigger them. Other times they would run incessantly despite the mud on the windshield being bone dry. The mud wasn't impacting my vision in any way, so spraying washer fluid was unnecessary other than getting the wipers to stop. Changing the sensitivity won't work because those are opposing situations.

Rain sensing windshield wipers are now permanently disabled, as if I can't trust them in winter I don't want to get used to them in summer.

Lane departure warning was a mess because often in winter the tire tracks wander outside of the lane. This is a natural result of drivers guessing where the lanes are when the lines aren't visible. Then tire tracks wear down to pavement, exposing the lines, and frequently the tracks leave the lane.

Well, in those spots where the line was exposed, the lane departure warning was alerting that I was leaving the lane despite me following the tracks - despite following the tracks being the correct thing to do. This happened repeatedly.

Once again, if I can't trust it in winter I don't want to get used to it in the summer. Lane departure warning is now permanently disabled.

Lastly, I did have a warning come up in the gauge cluster stating "Front Camera Low Visibility Clean Screen". This error would show up seemingly 3 times each drive, about 5-10 mins apart. The warning consumes the gauge cluster display. It could be dismissed by hitting "OK".

This is a terribly worded warning, especially for those of us with the 360 cameras. Most people don't think of the camera behind the rear-view mirror that handles lane departure warning and automatic high beams since we don't interact with that camera directly. On the other hand, the camera in the grill is one we do interact with directly. So saying "front camera" and expecting users to understand it's the one behind the rear-view mirror is crazy.

Then they say "clean screen". What screen? I'm trying to figure out why the truck cares about the screen in the gauge cluster or center stack, which would make no sense. Then I'm thinking maybe they meant lens, which would make sense if they're talking about the camera in the grill (see previous paragraph). But then why would they be monitoring how dirty that lens is? I'll know if it needs to be cleaned when the picture quality is impacted.

In this context, "screen" refers to the windshield, which is naturally in front of the rear view mirror camera. Outside of North America, windshields are often referred to as "windscreens", so my best guess is this error message was originally written for a non-North American audience and then wound up in the Super Duty as a result of shared software. Otherwise it's bizarre since the Super Duty isn't sold by Ford outside of North America - folks need to go through import companies to get them.

The fix is simple: run washer fluid on the windshield and the wipers will wash in front of that camera, resolving the error. I didn't stumble into this fix because the dirt/mud wasn't impacting my vision, so there was no reason to use washer fluid.

This error is documented on pages 123 and 290 of the 22MY owner's manual (once for automatic high beams, once for lane departure warning):

1640241203418.webp
 
Really not liking whoever at GoodYear and/or Ford decided to remove the 3PMS from the tires (and whatever changes that entailed). Learning now that some winter SAR responses require the symbol. Honestly, I agree with that policy.

Problem is I now have a very capable truck with nearly new tires known to be good in winter (DuraTracs) that can’t be used in winter responses. :mad:

Guess it’s time to start watching the classifieds for some factory takeoffs from previous model year trucks, or potentially buy 5 brand new tires for a stupid amount of money (likely Falken Wildpeak, which are $382/ea at Discount Tire) and sell mine.
 
Really not liking whoever at GoodYear and/or Ford decided to remove the 3PMS from the tires (and whatever changes that entailed). Learning now that some winter SAR responses require the symbol. Honestly, I agree with that policy.

Problem is I now have a very capable truck with nearly new tires known to be good in winter (DuraTracs) that can’t be used in winter responses. :mad:

Guess it’s time to start watching the classifieds for some factory takeoffs from previous model year trucks, or potentially buy 5 brand new tires for a stupid amount of money (likely Falken Wildpeak, which are $382/ea at Discount Tire) and sell mine.

Please educate me, why are 3PMS tires required Vs the all season ones you currently have?
 
Really not liking whoever at GoodYear and/or Ford decided to remove the 3PMS from the tires (and whatever changes that entailed). Learning now that some winter SAR responses require the symbol. Honestly, I agree with that policy.

Problem is I now have a very capable truck with nearly new tires known to be good in winter (DuraTracs) that can’t be used in winter responses. :mad:

Guess it’s time to start watching the classifieds for some factory takeoffs from previous model year trucks, or potentially buy 5 brand new tires for a stupid amount of money (likely Falken Wildpeak, which are $382/ea at Discount Tire) and sell mine.
I can find someone to mill out a 3PMS branding iron 😁 🤐 🤫

Note: Toyo AT3 are 3PMS rated.
 
Please educate me, why are 3PMS tires required Vs the all season ones you currently have?
When it comes to some of the SAR responses, it’s a matter of safety and liability. Since they (the club acting with government authority while deployed) are sending people into the field, they are legally responsible for ensuring we are properly equipped for the task at hand - since it’s a volunteer organization, it’s on us to purchase the equipment but they ensure we have it.

3PMS tires are rated to be at least decent in cold temperatures, snow, and ice so it sets a baseline. Sure some M+S tires will perform as well as, or potentially better than, a poor performing 3PMS tire in winter conditions, but for the organization they need a baseline.
 
Toyo part # 355710

Same size as stock tires.

@ccw Seattle distro center can get you them quick (tirerack.com) :

jdCbxpb.png
Hmm that’s not bad! Thanks for the heads up!
 
When it comes to some of the SAR responses, it’s a matter of safety and liability. Since they (the club acting with government authority while deployed) are sending people into the field, they are legally responsible for ensuring we are properly equipped for the task at hand - since it’s a volunteer organization, it’s on us to purchase the equipment but they ensure we have it.

3PMS tires are rated to be at least decent in cold temperatures, snow, and ice so it sets a baseline. Sure some M+S tires will perform as well as, or potentially better than, a poor performing 3PMS tire in winter conditions, but for the organization they need a baseline.

Thanks

Interesting how different areas do things differently, the local S&R club I’ve talked to only require chains and not a 3PMS tire & they issue radios & some other gear

The local 4x4 recovery group has no requirements, but they have a list of recommendations & chains are listed & not snowflake tires

I’m assuming this is cuz so many of them are running mud terrain tires

I’ve also looked into Team Rubicon (know several guys on it) and they do things totally different
 
Thanks

Interesting how different areas do things differently, the local S&R club I’ve talked to only require chains and not a 3PMS tire & they issue radios & some other gear

The local 4x4 recovery group has no requirements, but they have a list of recommendations & chains are listed & not snowflake tires

I’m assuming this is cuz so many of them are running mud terrain tires

I’ve also looked into Team Rubicon (know several guys on it) and they do things totally different
Indeed interesting how different things can be.

FWIW, I did say "some winter SAR responses" in my original complaint post for a reason. As far as I'm aware (new to the club, though) not all winter missions require 3PMS. It's strongly recommended in those cases, but M+S, 4WD/AWD, and chains (combined) are acceptable.

What I learned today is that some missions require 3PMS.
 
Today I completed my 10th fill-up with Shadowfax, so I calibrated the truck's computer MPG with my hand calculations. I followed this video:


I set my AFE Bias to 950.

The only thing I had to do differently from the video is how to get into Engineering Test mode since I have a 22MY with Sync 4. You still hold "OK" on the steering wheel as described, but be sure to release "OK" when you see "ET" in the lower-right of the gauge cluster screen. Upon releasing it, you'll be entered into Engineering Test mode.

If you hold it too long, "ET" will go away and you won't be able to get into the test mode without shutting down the truck and trying again.

Here's my fill-ups thus far, comparing computer to hand calculations:


Date

Miles (lifetime)

Miles (trip)

Gallons

MPG (Computer)

MPG (Hand)

October 1, 2021

495.2

N/A

23.133

N/A

N/A

October 8, 2021

762.8

267.5

20.671

13.0

12.94

October 9, 2021

1091.0

327.8

23.895

14.43

13.72

October 11, 2021

1309.9

217.5

16.348

14.2

13.30

October 11, 2021

1537.6

227.6

15.646

14.9

14.55

October 20, 2021

1697.4

159.8

15.387

10.9

10.39

October 23, 2021

1874.3

176.8

14.103

13.0

12.54

October 31, 2021

2144.0

269.7

22.854

12.4

11.80

December 19, 2021

2516.9

147.8

11.645

13.2

12.69

December 20, 2021

2780.8

263.9

19.745

14.3

13.37

December 27, 2021

2959.5

178.7

17.455

11.7

10.24

And lastly, here's a chart showing MPG over time for both hand and computer calculated:

Shadowfax MPG.png


I'll continue documenting my fill-ups so I can see how accurate the computer has become now that I've adjusted it, potentially adjusting it again if needed.

Edit: here’s the update post:

 
Last edited:
Turns out remote starting the truck regularly and then proceeding to drive it in town isn’t good for fuel economy. :ROFLMAO:

(This trip is since my last fill-up.)

C34E327F-482A-403D-B8A7-208C6F0AC2DA.webp
 
Stats from the trip I took over the holidays to see family. Involved going over a mountain pass in each direction, as well as lots of remote starts in town due to a cold snap. So 13mpg feels about right to me.

4478A194-969F-492C-8CAD-30029BBDF9AC.webp
 
For anyone following along on my modifications post, I just updated it to hopefully make things easier to read:


First of all, all tables are now using the official header row that's supported by the website. This makes the headers stand out a bit more and is generally nicer to look at.

Second, and more importantly, I've split up the single completed modifications table into multiple tables, each for a specific category of modifications. I found the single large table was getting hard to find things in. (Yes, I do reference my own list of mods! This thread is here for myself as well as you all. :)). Since I already have the categories, splitting the table up was logical and should make it easier to zero in on a specific modification.
 
Looks nice, I like the new formatting!
 
Chat with the club members once you get a little more established. The 3PMS thing might be a requirement that could be enforced but in reality never is. I’d be surprised if it actually is ever enforced on any mission.
 
Chat with the club members once you get a little more established. The 3PMS thing might be a requirement that could be enforced but in reality never is. I’d be surprised if it actually is ever enforced on any mission.
Well, it's sort of too late (barring doing a return) since I already purchased the tires online and have an install date scheduled for the 19th. :P

I hear what you're saying, though. But for the call-outs where it was required, they included in the instructions "NO EXCEPTIONS" for 3PMS making it a pretty hard rule. While they may not be in a position to check every time, that's a bad look if/when they do check. It also puts my liability coverage from the state while working as an emergency worker at risk as I showed up without appropriate equipment that was clearly communicated.

To be clear, I did have an out: don't respond to missions where 3PMS is required. Not every mission in winter, in the snow or not, requires it. The problem is that essentially locks me into my tires for 4 or so years until they wear out. If I'm going to sell them, yesterday was the best time and today is next best.
 
Just got back from picking up Shadowfax from yet another stay in a shop - dropped him off on Wednesday. This finishes up the Xpel PPF install on the drivers side, where it was painted as part of the deer damage repairs. They also put the "7.3L Godzilla" badge on the drivers door.

It looks fantastic! That should be the last multi-day stay in a shop for a while, hopefully. :D
 
Back
Top Bottom