Project Shadowfax

Have you used it to brake like you were subconsciously driving a go-kart? 🤪
I haven't! I'm religious about only braking with my right foot other than specific circumstances (slow-speed off-road scenarios and starting on a steep hill), so I don't see that mistake happening lol.
 
Today Shadowfax got his first oil change at 1675 miles! Technically over my planned 1000 mile first oil change, but I crossed 1000 miles while on a road trip, and since this is the first one no opportunity to change it earlier.

Next oil change will be at the scheduled 5000 miles on the odometer, and every 5000 mile increment on the odometer from there on out.

Oil looked great coming out. Still plenty of clarity to it. Love how accessible the drain plug and filter are. Refilled with Motorcraft 5w-30 full synthetic and a Motorcraft filter. Cost me $70 all-in for 8 quarts and the filter.

With the first oil change came installing the Stahlbus drain plug to make future oil changes easier, particularly with the skid plate. Was as easy as installing a regular drain plug, though two notes:
  1. Install the cap retainer after installing the plug. You can’t get a wrench on the plug with the cap retainer on.
  2. While it says to torque to a maximum of 15 foot pounds (bolded, underlined and in large font) there’s no way to get a socket on there, so I have no idea how you’re supposed to use a torque wrench. You need to use an open ended wrench. I used my arm-based torque wrench.
View attachment 36952

With the oil change, I drained the oil separator. Had roughly 1/8” of a cup in it. Smelled like a mixture of oil and gas. While that’s by no means a massive amount, I’m happy to have the separator keeping that out of the intake, even if it’s designed for it.

View attachment 36957

With the oil change done I installed the PDM skid plate. Install was straightforward, though if you’re doing it use the smallest drill/driver you have. It’s tight quarters to get a drill lined up with the hole you need to drill out! Also the instructions say you need to drill it out to 7/16”, but I stopped at 3/8” (using a stepped drill bit) and it worked great.

Sprayed the hole down with some high temp Rustoleum because it’s right next to the oil pan, tightened everything up, and it’s good to go! Feels really strong. While I wouldn’t necessarily want to drop the whole truck’s weight on the thing, I’m more than comfortable having it scrape across some rocks.

Drain plug access is great, and will be perfect with the Stahlbus. Filter access is fine from the standpoint of getting a hand and/or wrench on it. But part of the filter is over the skid plate, so it’s going to be a bit of a mess when dropping the filter. :(

View attachment 36953
View attachment 36954
View attachment 36955
View attachment 36956
Other note from today: I love how tall this truck is when it comes to maintenance. I can roll around on a creeper under the entire truck with the truck on the ground. It’s cozy if the cats are hot, but ultimately I did everything I did today with the truck on the ground. :D

Parts links:
Just saw this. In process of doing my first oil change today...like you I went past 1,000 to just shy of 1,600 miles. Hey, it rained for the last month... Thanks for posting this a few years ago. The internet is the gift that keeps on giving.

I havent' decided on an aftermarket drain plug, armor, mudflaps or much else.

I haven't forgotten that you installed the Stahlbus aftermarket drain plug, but it was good to see it outlined again in this post.

I have a Fumoto on my 4R and it has armor, so I don't have to worry about it getting hit by a rock or stick.

The Tremor drain plug is somewhat exposed and I am reluctant to put on an aftermarket plug unless I also have armor - which I now see that you have added to
"shadowfox". I believe you have a 7.3 - I have the 6.7 so there are some differences underneath and armor is harder to come by for the 6.7.
 
Just saw this. In process of doing my first oil change today...like you I went past 1,000 to just shy of 1,600 miles. Hey, it rained for the last month... Thanks for posting this a few years ago. The internet is the gift that keeps on giving.
No kidding it rained for the last few months! Finally getting some solid weather now. :D

I havent' decided on an aftermarket drain plug, armor, mudflaps or much else.

I haven't forgotten that you installed the Stahlbus aftermarket drain plug, but it was good to see it outlined again in this post.

I have a Fumoto on my 4R and it has armor, so I don't have to worry about it getting hit by a rock or stick.

The Tremor drain plug is somewhat exposed and I am reluctant to put on an aftermarket plug unless I also have armor - which I now see that you have added to
"shadowfox". I believe you have a 7.3 - I have the 6.7 so there are some differences underneath and armor is harder to come by for the 6.7.
I hear you on wanting to avoid the aftermarket drain plug until you have armor. That said, the Stahlbus doesn’t stick out much more than the factory plug. Technically a bit more, but not meaningfully in my opinion.

As for what armor for the 6.7L, that has an easy answer! Talon’s Garage! Here’s a link to their F-250/350 product page which has all of their armor, including for the 6.7L:


Better yet, @Talon2006 (the owner) is right here on the forum. Here’s their main thread if you want to ask them any questions or see the history of how they’ve developed their products for the Super Duty:


To kind of put my money where my mouth is: I would, without question, get the Talon’s Garage skid plate instead of the one I bought if I could do it over. Unfortunately, the Talon’s Garage skid plate didn’t exist yet when I bought my skid plate.
 
No kidding it rained for the last few months! Finally getting some solid weather now. :D


I hear you on wanting to avoid the aftermarket drain plug until you have armor. That said, the Stahlbus doesn’t stick out much more than the factory plug. Technically a bit more, but not meaningfully in my opinion.

As for what armor for the 6.7L, that has an easy answer! Talon’s Garage! Here’s a link to their F-250/350 product page which has all of their armor, including for the 6.7L:


Better yet, @Talon2006 (the owner) is right here on the forum. Here’s their main thread if you want to ask them any questions or see the history of how they’ve developed their products for the Super Duty:


To kind of put my money where my mouth is: I would, without question, get the Talon’s Garage skid plate instead of the one I bought if I could do it over. Unfortunately, the Talon’s Garage skid plate didn’t exist yet when I bought my skid plate.
Thanks for the tips and suggestions! I will look into Talon's Garage. Tying up loose ends so I can get to Plain WA today before traffic gets horrible this afternoon....
 
For sure! We'll start from the base and work upwards, then outwards.

Onto the BuiltRight mount, I attached two RAM® Diamond Ball Base - C Size:


I chose the C size to have lots of weight headroom, since this is the foundation of the platform. While I'm not mounting anything super heavy to the PVC, I do intend to mount at the ends of the PVC which is quite a large lever.

To each ball base I attached a RAM® Composite Double Socket Arm - C Size Short:


I went with the short arms as I want to keep the pipe as low as possible to minimize potential visibility obstruction.

(Above is what I've mounted to the truck so far, and showed in the picture in the previous post.)

Next is two RAM® Torque™ Large Rail Base - C Size, which will mount to the pipe and the short arms:


These mounts were originally intended by Ram Mounts for handlebars and roll cages, but no reason they won't work with PVC pipe.

That has the pipe mounted, so next it's accessories. Each accessory is light, so to reduce weight, cost, and bulk I downsized to "B" sized balls and mounts.

Each accessory gets a RAM® Torque™ Large Rail Base - B Size for the rail:


The phone and GPS mounts get RAM® Double Socket Arm Adapter with Medium & Long Arms - B Size, to have enough length to reach past the dash, as well as have some flexibility to follow the dash and reduce their height (again, visibility):


And lastly, the phone and GPS mounts to attach to those arms:



Worth noting I didn't get any Ram Mounts for the speakers yet. Strongly considering screwing those directly into the PVC, but we'll see.
Curious if you've updated anything with your dash mount situation?

Happened to come across a similar mount for a Wrangler, since that's my alternate ride these days, and thought of your custom mount:

 
No kidding it rained for the last few months! Finally getting some solid weather now. :D


I hear you on wanting to avoid the aftermarket drain plug until you have armor. That said, the Stahlbus doesn’t stick out much more than the factory plug. Technically a bit more, but not meaningfully in my opinion.

As for what armor for the 6.7L, that has an easy answer! Talon’s Garage! Here’s a link to their F-250/350 product page which has all of their armor, including for the 6.7L:


Better yet, @Talon2006 (the owner) is right here on the forum. Here’s their main thread if you want to ask them any questions or see the history of how they’ve developed their products for the Super Duty:


To kind of put my money where my mouth is: I would, without question, get the Talon’s Garage skid plate instead of the one I bought if I could do it over. Unfortunately, the Talon’s Garage skid plate didn’t exist yet when I bought my skid plate.
Talon's Garage - At "CCW's" suggestion I followed up w them last January and learned they had not yet designed skidplates to fit the 2024 diesel Super Duty. A few days ago Talon's garage followed up with me in order to let me know that the '24 F350 Diesel skid plat is now in production (They contacted me out of the blue, on their own, after 9 months!!! Wow - who does that anymore?? Kudo's to Talon's garage). I'll re-post that again in a proper spot...
 
Back
Top Bottom