Project Shadowfax

Hi CCW, I'm considering the Gatorback mudflaps on my new SD Tremor. The other option is probably just the Ford OEM flaps. Are you still liking the Gatorbacks after a full winter on ShadowFox?

I'm not planning on 37's any time soon, but I'm curious if you think you could run 37's with them.

Also curious if you think they might get hung up on rocks or debris if traveling over some rough stuff. Or if chains mounted on 35's might tear up the mudflaps.

Seems like a lot of work to install those flaps - but they do seem like a superior product compared to the OEM mudflaps. . My dealer said they would install them if I so desired (at their standard hourly labor rate).
Hey! I am still liking them! I've had some positive indicators that they help with keeping stuff off the sides of the truck, but nothing definitive. Start with this post and you can see some discussion around it that ensued:

No question I still love the look of them. I do still think about the little plastic clips holding the rubber on, but they have held up thus far to my use and pressure washing.

I've had the truck with the Gatorbacks on some pretty rough forest roads, as well as deep snow with no issues, though I most definitely haven't been rock crawling. Like any mud flap, I imagine it's possible to reverse into a ledge or rock large enough to pin the flap between the tire and the ledge/rock and rip it off. But that's a pretty significant obstacle when you think of how tall and vertical it would need to be.

Unfortunately I can't say if they will rub with 37" tires. I swear I've seen some folks around the forum use 37's together with Gatorbacks without issue, but a cursory search doesn't bring up anything so I could be remembering wrong.

Snow chains on factory size tires (roughly 35" tall) I'm 100% confident they work, as I've done it myself! 7mm square link.

Post here with details on the snow chains and install:

Post here when I used them in deep snow with the tire chains, with no issues with the mud flaps:

Hope that helps!

Hey! I am still liking them! I've had some positive indicators that they help with keeping stuff off the sides of the truck, but nothing definitive. Start with this post and you can see some discussion around it that ensued:

No question I still love the look of them. I do still think about the little plastic clips holding the rubber on, but they have held up thus far to my use and pressure washing.

I've had the truck with the Gatorbacks on some pretty rough forest roads, as well as deep snow with no issues, though I most definitely haven't been rock crawling. Like any mud flap, I imagine it's possible to reverse into a ledge or rock large enough to pin the flap between the tire and the ledge/rock and rip it off. But that's a pretty significant obstacle when you think of how tall and vertical it would need to be.

Unfortunately I can't say if they will rub with 37" tires. I swear I've seen some folks around the forum use 37's together with Gatorbacks without issue, but a cursory search doesn't bring up anything so I could be remembering wrong.

Snow chains on factory size tires (roughly 35" tall) I'm 100% confident they work, as I've done it myself! 7mm square link.

Post here with details on the snow chains and install:

Post here when I used them in deep snow with the tire chains, with no issues with the mud flaps:

Hope that helps!
Terrific info! thanks...going to sleep will consider more tomorrow. GN!

Reactions: ccw
Back