Plastic tailgate top

Right on!
 
Have some textured vinyl coming tomorrow for the tailgate piece.


5lR5Upq.jpeg
 
Interested. That plastic piece is going to get lost yet!
 
Last edited:
Went ahead and got it installed to see how it looked. The powdercoat sheen matches the surrounding plastic area quite well, so I will skip applying the textured vinyl I mentioned in post #42.

You will need a 3/16" hex key, 1/2" stubby wrench, and a T30 bit to remove the latch assembly for install/reinstall (for the stock hardware that comes with the tailgate piece). The new hardware I sourced will require a 5mm hex key and a 13mm stubby wrench.

When the countersink and screws arrives that I ordered, I will do it in situ on the truck, one bolt at a time, so I won't need to take it off fully again.

OenLQ2r.jpeg


xhXjF0W.jpeg


UAz9Ks4.jpeg


Bu1Gpxh.jpeg


@Rodd187
 
Last edited:
Went ahead and got it installed to see how it looked. The powdercoat sheen matches the surrounding plastic area quite well, so I will skip applying the textured vinyl I mentioned in post #42.

You will need a 3/16" hex key, 1/2" stubby wrench, and a T30 bit to remove the latch assembly for install/reinstall.

When the countersink and screws arrives that I ordered, I will do it in situ on the truck, one bolt at a time, so I won't need to take it off fully again.

OenLQ2r.jpeg


xhXjF0W.jpeg


UAz9Ks4.jpeg


Bu1Gpxh.jpeg


@Rodd187
So you are eliminating the step, which I never use anyway. Do you have a picture showing the lip with the gate down?
 
Went ahead and got it installed to see how it looked. The powdercoat sheen matches the surrounding plastic area quite well, so I will skip applying the textured vinyl I mentioned in post #42.

You will need a 3/16" hex key, 1/2" stubby wrench, and a T30 bit to remove the latch assembly for install/reinstall.

When the countersink and screws arrives that I ordered, I will do it in situ on the truck, one bolt at a time, so I won't need to take it off fully again.

OenLQ2r.jpeg


xhXjF0W.jpeg


UAz9Ks4.jpeg


Bu1Gpxh.jpeg


@Rodd187
Need a picture looking down with tailgate down please
1000005782.webp
 
Went ahead and got it installed to see how it looked. The powdercoat sheen matches the surrounding plastic area quite well, so I will skip applying the textured vinyl I mentioned in post #42.

You will need a 3/16" hex key, 1/2" stubby wrench, and a T30 bit to remove the latch assembly for install/reinstall (for the stock hardware that comes with the tailgate piece). The new hardware I sourced will require a 5mm hex key and a 13mm stubby wrench.

When the countersink and screws arrives that I ordered, I will do it in situ on the truck, one bolt at a time, so I won't need to take it off fully again.

OenLQ2r.jpeg


xhXjF0W.jpeg


UAz9Ks4.jpeg


Bu1Gpxh.jpeg


@Rodd187
Man, I really like the look of that and I actually like the look of the raised screw heads. I will be interested to see what it looks like after you countersink the new screws.
Are you happy with the quality and the gap looking down for the top when the tailgate is lowered? I need to go look at the gap on the original plastic cover. Mine is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.
 
Man, I really like the look of that and I actually like the look of the raised screw heads. I will be interested to see what it looks like after you countersink the new screws.
Are you happy with the quality and the gap looking down for the top when the tailgate is lowered? I need to go look at the gap on the original plastic cover. Mine is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.
I'm really happy with the coating sheen and product quality overall, other than having to buy new hardware and a countersink tool that should've already came designed that way.

The gap is 'basically' the same, however, the factory plastic one has two little tabs (one on each end) that cover up the ends of the gap is all. Something that doesn't bother me. Pic below highlighting the area I mentioned where the factory one has the tabs that go across this area.

cih8Csz.png
 
Last edited:
I'm really happy with the coating sheen and product quality overall, other than having to buy new hardware and a countersink tool that should've already came designed that way.

The gap is 'basically' the same, however the factory platic one has two little tabs (one on each end) that cover up the ends of the gap is all. Something that doesn't bother me. Pic below highlighting the area I mentioned where the factory one has the tabs that go across this area.

cih8Csz.png
Excellent, thank you brother!
 
Went ahead and got it installed to see how it looked. The powdercoat sheen matches the surrounding plastic area quite well, so I will skip applying the textured vinyl I mentioned in post #42.

You will need a 3/16" hex key, 1/2" stubby wrench, and a T30 bit to remove the latch assembly for install/reinstall (for the stock hardware that comes with the tailgate piece). The new hardware I sourced will require a 5mm hex key and a 13mm stubby wrench.

When the countersink and screws arrives that I ordered, I will do it in situ on the truck, one bolt at a time, so I won't need to take it off fully again.

OenLQ2r.jpeg


xhXjF0W.jpeg


UAz9Ks4.jpeg


Bu1Gpxh.jpeg


@Rodd187
So it was delivered to you with that finish??

If so, that's a winner πŸ†
 
Back
Top Bottom