Only Overlanding Trailer Talk

I am used to cleaning out RV systems (when we went camping through Acadia) right after our wedding. Unfortunately, my in-laws used it for 3-4 days prior to us leaving. I had to empty the tanks on day 2, and man, talk about lumps traveling through the pipe and into the campground tank - and all you want to do is hold your breath. I also was disappointed at how things don't all fit tight - there is slop in the outlets and inlets of the campground tanks, likely due to having no "standard" set-up, but I was worried about backsplash.

I took it up a notch when the health care system I am with bought a mobile health unit - then I was able to empty a mobile health unit tank - party time, baby. My water treatment center has a "slide" you just fan it all down into their system - so lovely.

If I remember, my grandfather used to have an incinerator outhouse at his hunting camp. That was like burning logs in a blast furnace.

I understand it happens, and it's a "dad/husband" job, but there has to be a better way - even digging holes.
I've been looking into options vs. our black tank + chemicals. We've already had two issues with the plumbing and the f'er is damn near brand new. Before I spend another dime on that system I'm thinking of a composting setup instead, although I'm still in the research phase...

Like this one:

 
I have a cassette toilet and served us well. If needed you can take just the cassette to dump with out moving the whole setup. I have yet to fill one enough to have to do that on a trip and you can carry extras if needed.
That’s what I meant by chemical toilet. I now have 2 cassettes
 
I have only good things to say about our composting toilet. No camping toilet is ideal, but of the options available, it hits the right compromises. It's clean, odor free, easy to deal with, uses no water, etc. We use peat moss in it, and keep enough for one refill in some gallon ziplocks that store in a spot under the toilet. We take three week trips typically, and at most we'll empty the toilet once while traveling - quite often, not at all. The pee tank get's emptied once or twice, which is probably the worst of it.
 
My caravan has a chemical toilet, it has been fine. No unpleasant issues. At first I was a bit apprehensive, but the chemicals do a good job. Just need to remember to close the flap when finished. And to open it before you begin. I forgot to do that once in the early hours of the morning.
See that “flap” is the problem. At least here in the western US. You’re in Australia I think…. Not sure what the elevation change is but here in the Western US you can change 7000 ft or more in elevation. Now let’s say you’re camping in the mountains at 12k and use the toilet close it up nice and tight so no splashes occur and come down to 5k feet later that day. Well, when you open that flap, you’re gonna have a a very unpleasant fountain! Our camper company specifically told us to keep it cracked open, than you deal with other problems or expect it to make a scene when you open it lol. I forget who but maybe @gmoon told me he’s seen this, or someone in the truck camper thread. Beware if you’re going to camp in the mountains west!!!!
 
Do you put your legs out onto that bench? Trying to figure out the alignment.
Well, you just sit sideways or at an angle either work fine, or just lift the toilet out and use it that way too. That storage area is also the shower basin so it’s just the most convenient place to store a toilet set up for emergency’s works fine at an angle so long as you put your hole over the hole lol.
 
I've been looking into options vs. our black tank + chemicals. We've already had two issues with the plumbing and the f'er is damn near brand new. Before I spend another dime on that system I'm thinking of a composting setup instead, although I'm still in the research phase...

Like this one:

@Modman idk if you follow the Truck Camper thread much but we have a lot of discussion over the merits of this type of toilet due to the nature of truck camper’s.

@Chris-DTA has that Trelino and LOVES it but realistically it’s not “composting” I believe he uses it and bags the waste and throws it away and simply dumps the urine bottle daily. Seems like a great design and one we almost went with actually.
 
@Modman idk if you follow the Truck Camper thread much but we have a lot of discussion over the merits of this type of toilet due to the nature of truck camper’s.

@Chris-DTA has that Trelino and LOVES it but realistically it’s not “composting” I believe he uses it and bags the waste and throws it away and simply dumps the urine bottle daily. Seems like a great design and one we almost went with actually.
Where do you think I got the idea? I love stealing ideas from you guys for my TT ;)
 
I’d love to see a picture of that.

View attachment 149043

For the reasons your listed we are running a new Wrappon WT-4 toilet in our Supertramp. It came with a chemical toilet but after Kelsey told us to leave it cracked open while traveling to make sure a poop geyser doesn’t happen we never even used it and bought the new Wrappon. It’s a bit expensive but for our use that’s just fine.
We've been using the Wrappon in our Kimberley for almost 3 years. Best camping toilet ever!
 
I’d love to see a picture of that.

View attachment 149043

For the reasons your listed we are running a new Wrappon WT-4 toilet in our Supertramp. It came with a chemical toilet but after Kelsey told us to leave it cracked open while traveling to make sure a poop geyser doesn’t happen we never even used it and bought the new Wrappon. It’s a bit expensive but for our use that’s just fine.
Not sure if you're using the absorbent packets, but I found a bulk source for the same product that works out to less than half the packet cost per use.

 
Not sure if you're using the absorbent packets, but I found a bulk source for the same product that works out to less than half the packet cost per use.

That’s great info thank you! I do have some packets now but might go this direction before buying any more! Thanks.
 
Not sure if you're using the absorbent packets, but I found a bulk source for the same product that works out to less than half the packet cost per use.

When it comes to doing Number 1’s, I find these to be reasonably abundant until you get to the really dry places. Then you just do your best.
IMG_2144.webp
 
Where do you think I got the idea? I love stealing ideas from you guys for my TT ;)
@TRAMPER this is the other that was high on my list for composters. I believe someone had mentioned this one in the truck camper forum as well... I like the exterior vent capability. Long term I could attach to my existing black tank/vent:

 
See that “flap” is the problem. At least here in the western US. You’re in Australia I think…. Not sure what the elevation change is but here in the Western US you can change 7000 ft or more in elevation. Now let’s say you’re camping in the mountains at 12k and use the toilet close it up nice and tight so no splashes occur and come down to 5k feet later that day. Well, when you open that flap, you’re gonna have a a very unpleasant fountain! Our camper company specifically told us to keep it cracked open, than you deal with other problems or expect it to make a scene when you open it lol. I forget who but maybe @gmoon told me he’s seen this, or someone in the truck camper thread. Beware if you’re going to camp in the mountains west!!!!
Oh ya... Definitely got a face shot of feces once after a long drive up to elevation in CO. I tossed that shitty shitter in the dumpster the next day.
 
When it comes to doing Number 1’s, I find these to be reasonably abundant until you get to the really dry places. Then you just do your best.View attachment 149069
Ahahahaha. Yeah. So I couldn’t agree more! However some of us are married and our better half’s prefer to be a little more civilized. Personally, and this is a bit of an over share with a bunch of rando’s I walk outside my house to take a piss all the time lol. It’s 1/2 the reason I live in the country.
 
Oh ya... Definitely got a face shot of feces once after a long drive up to elevation in CO. I tossed that shitty shitter in the dumpster the next day.
Hahahahshahhaha…. If that’s not a reason to not use one of those F*ing toilets idk what is!!!!! Again fine if you live in Iowa or something but boy when you start changing elevations WATCH OUT!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_1589.webp
 
Ahahahaha. Yeah. So I couldn’t agree more! However some of us are married and our better half’s prefer to be a little more civilized. Personally, and this is a bit of an over share with a bunch of rando’s I walk outside my house to take a piss all the time lol. It’s 1/2 the reason I live in the country.
I do as well. Living on tank water, never knowing when it’s going to rain next, I do what I can to save water. There’s no one around to offend.
 
I do as well. Living on tank water, never knowing when it’s going to rain next, I do what I can to save water. There’s no one around to offend.
You’re a lot more brave than I. If I lived in Aus I’d be afraid to piss outside.

Spider bite my junk
Snake bite my junk
Crocodile bite my junk
Kangaroo kick me in my junk lol.

Of course you probably assume I have to dodge bullets while I’m outside taking a whiz, or maybe rioters… lol.
 
When it comes to doing Number 1’s, I find these to be reasonably abundant until you get to the really dry places. Then you just do your best.View attachment 149069
Yeah, we always try to recycle our liquids. Much easier for me than the wife, depending on our location.
 
See that “flap” is the problem. At least here in the western US. You’re in Australia I think…. Not sure what the elevation change is but here in the Western US you can change 7000 ft or more in elevation. Now let’s say you’re camping in the mountains at 12k and use the toilet close it up nice and tight so no splashes occur and come down to 5k feet later that day. Well, when you open that flap, you’re gonna have a a very unpleasant fountain! Our camper company specifically told us to keep it cracked open, than you deal with other problems or expect it to make a scene when you open it lol. I forget who but maybe @gmoon told me he’s seen this, or someone in the truck camper thread. Beware if you’re going to camp in the mountains west!!!!
Ah, interesting. I’m at 900 metres but when I leave it’s empty. Nowhere near those sorts of elevation changes you mentioned
 
Back
Top Bottom