Only Overlanding Trailer Talk

    Featured
  • OP 🔹
  • Staff 🛡️
  • #21
Okay, here's $.02 and worth it. DO NOT fall in love till you see any trailer in person.
Start here : https://www.overlandexpo.com/ Find a location that might be close by or worth the trip. It's WORTH it.

I'm glad I went to the Overland East Expo. OMG....talk about 31 flavors of ice cream out there. I liked the same sort of trailer that's pictured above. I found a few different brands, all about the same sort of layout, features, etc etc etc.
I went into Goldilocks mode, not quite the fit, too little, too much, just want this to be just right. A little bit of analysis paralysis set in. I want a trailer that ends up being a bit more with options that make it easy to stay in cold/hot weather.
In the end I liked the following "overland" trailers the most : Xpedition Voyager, Kingdom Camping, Imperial Outdoors.
Xpedition and Kingdom have smaller overland trailers. Really nice builds/layout/features.
Kingdom and Imperial have a larger RV style "overland" trailers. Really nice builds/layout/features.

Only you can find "that trailer". Keep researching.
Solid advice. Looks like Virginia is closet for me. Maybe my wife and I can take a weekend to check it out!
 
Solid advice. Looks like Virginia is closet for me. Maybe my wife and I can take a weekend to check it out!

If you make solid plans let me know, I'm likely to go again for 2024.
 
If you make solid plans let me know, I'm likely to go again for 2024.
Sounds good. I will keep you posted. I typically am in FL the weekend after. May work for a drive, but I typically fly. Stay-tuned!
 
Okay, here's $.02 and worth it. DO NOT fall in love till you see any trailer in person.
Start here : https://www.overlandexpo.com/ Find a location that might be close by or worth the trip. It's WORTH it.

I'm glad I went to the Overland East Expo. OMG....talk about 31 flavors of ice cream out there. I liked the same sort of trailer that's pictured above. I found a few different brands, all about the same sort of layout, features, etc etc etc.
I went into Goldilocks mode, not quite the fit, too little, too much, just want this to be just right. A little bit of analysis paralysis set in. I want a trailer that ends up being a bit more with options that make it easy to stay in cold/hot weather.
In the end I liked the following "overland" trailers the most : Xpedition Voyager, Kingdom Camping, Imperial Outdoors.
Xpedition and Kingdom have smaller overland trailers. Really nice builds/layout/features.
Kingdom and Imperial have a larger RV style "overland" trailers. Really nice builds/layout/features.

Only you can find "that trailer". Keep researching.
My wife and I did the same last year, I wonder if we passed each other lol.

It was nice being able to go inside EVERYTHING all shapes and sizes. Ultimately this is how we decided on our Four Wheel Camper.
 
The biggest thing I would say is to avoid choosing a trailer based on how rugged it looks, but rather pay attention to the real world limitations that will keep you from going where you want and enjoying your time getting there.

To me, the following are the most important things to consider, in order of importance:

1. Proximity to the manufacturer and a good community of owners to help you with issues, upgrades, etc. For example, I would avoid anything from Australia, South Africa, etc. like the plague. You will always have the risk of having an issue that you can't fix yourself, and with anything offroad you're constantly running the risk of damage from bouncing it around, so being able to take it to the manufacturer for repair is essential. As an example, one of the brands in that article is Kimberley, and one of their models was a pop up thingy that they may still sell here. Well, the pop up part was actuated by cables, and cables break. And in the case of that trailer, when they did it had to be completely disassembled to repair them; and at the time I was looking at them there were owners here in the US who had essentially lost their trailers because fixing them meant shipping them back to Australia.

2. Size. A lot of the trailers in that article are literally too large to be allowed down a lot of national park roads. Think about that for a second. If a ranger is going to stop you at a park entrance because the nice paved road through the park is too twisty, how confident are you going to be taking it down an unknown forest service road? I hope the answer is not very. Maneuverability will by far be your biggest limitation with a trailer. So, imo, anything wider than your truck or longer than 25' or so is automatically disqualified from being called off-road, no matter how tough it looks or what they say in the brochure. And I'd probably prioritize that as width being the biggest clearance concern, then turning radius, then height. Watch those tree limbs.

3. How well does it tow? Just because you have an off-road trailer doesn't mean that 90% of your time isn't going to be spent on the highway. Ask around to owners to make sure that it's a comfortable tow at highway speeds. Lot's of off-road trailers sacrifice stability for a showy suspension setup, or just have inherently bad balance. Also watch out for boxy trailers that may not handle side winds well, nor the wash from semis.

4. Build quality. By that I don't mean rugged materials and such, but rather did they use quality connections for the plumbing, did they tie down the wiring so it doesn't vibrate loose, did they use stainless hardware everywhere, etc. Also, is the structure of the trailer inherently resilient to damage from vibration and generally getting banged around? 9/10 what will ruin your trip isn't getting stuck or anything like that - it's going to be the water leak when you get to camp, the broken furnace, or the fact that your lights don't work. Current owners are good sources for information on quality, as are factory tours if you can get one.

5. Watch out for trailers that don't take advantage of the things that make trailers attractive in the first place. If you have a trailer that takes an hour to set up, forces you to cook outside in the wind, has no bath, has a bunch of canvas fold outs that will inevitably mildew, etc., then what you actually have is a very expensive tent. Conqueror trailers come to mind here.

If you can find a trailer that meets those requirements, then it will take you almost anywhere. And I think that almost is enough, because the final thing to consider when picking out a trailer is that luxury in the middle of nowhere is golden. Remember that if you want to go someplace that your trailer won't, or just want to rough it for a bit, your trailer can be considered a base camp from which you can head out for a night or two of adventure. Having that base camp means warm showers, heat, a nice kitchen, etc. that you can look forward to when you get back; and, more importantly, will make your family more receptive to having the adventure in the first place. So don't think that your trailer has to do everything, go everywhere, etc. Find a balance that works for the way you want to travel. Besides, no trailer will go everywhere.

I started out in the same place you are and we looked at everything from rooftop tents to the Australian things to earth cruisers. We ended up with an Oliver, which most people would not consider an off road trailer, but after 7 years of it I can say with 100% certainty that I'd buy the same thing again. Not once has the trailer been the limit that keeps us from going where we want. But, that's for me and the way we travel. Everyone has different priorities and so spend the time to find what's the right fit for you. Get many, many opinions, and everytime you think you know exactly what you want, spend some time living with it in your head. Don't just think about what an ideal trip would be like with it. More important is what it's like when things are decidedly not ideal.
 
Last edited:
I am beginning down a slippery slope. I have decided the next chapter in my life will need to focus on outdoors more and more. Hunting season (October - December) is not enough, and I would like to travel around to some national parks sooner than later.

I have looked at bed racks that would keep my folding bed cover intact for supplies, as well as roof top tents (which I dig in concept), but as a kid I am very used to sleeping on the ground in a tent.

With all that said, and if it's just my wife and youngest daughter most of the time to start with, I began looking at off road travel trailers - thinking I could also use it hunting in the backcountry a bit. I will not consider a typical travel trailer - just not my thing. If I need more space I can add the roof top tent to the trailer or even to the truck using a bed rack - but nothing over the cab because I don't want to change my HAM set-up (antenna placement).

So speaking to ONLY overlanding trailers - I looked at this article:


Anyone running any of these or something like it?
My suggestion is to avoid anything Chinese made. Typically they can’t handle the job asked of them. I don’t know so much about camper trailers but with caravans we find here that even the American made stuff doesn’t last here either. So it depends on where you want to go. It’s not so much the stuff you can see as the stuff you can’t. One thing I learned when it came to towing off road is that the trailer must be made to suit the type of vehicle towing it. The design of the drawbar of a trailer being fitted to a Ranger will be significantly different to one being designed for an F350.
 
My suggestion is to avoid anything Chinese made.
This is good advice,
1. Proximity to the manufacturer and a good community of owners to help you with issues, upgrades, etc.
This is great advice, the one we purchased was not our first choice but for the price and our usage we decided it would work. However, if I can go back in time I would have just saved more money and moved into something we liked a bit more with better reputation, service, and warranty. Luckily we have only hade very minor issues compared to some of my counterparts on other forums that explain the nightmares they deal with with almost no support from the manufacture or dealership they purchased from.
 
One other thing to consider is how you're going to store it. Most leaks seem to happen in storage when nobody is there no notice. This results in a lot of mold very quickly.

I haven't seen good things about wrapping with tarps outside either since that keeps the humidity in and let's mice come in. A sealed garage with mouse traps at the perimeter seems to be the least maintenance.
 
The biggest thing I would say is to avoid choosing a trailer based on how rugged it looks, but rather pay attention to the real world limitations that will keep you from going where you want and enjoying your time getting there.

To me, the following are the most important things to consider, in order of importance:

1. Proximity to the manufacturer and a good community of owners to help you with issues, upgrades, etc. For example, I would avoid anything from Australia, South Africa, etc. like the plague. You will always have the risk of having an issue that you can't fix yourself, and with anything offroad you're constantly running the risk of damage from bouncing it around, so being able to take it to the manufacturer for repair is essential. As an example, one of the brands in that article is Kimberley, and one of their models was a pop up thingy that they may still sell here. Well, the pop up part was actuated by cables, and cables break. And in the case of that trailer, when they did it had to be completely disassembled to repair them; and at the time I was looking at them there were owners here in the US who had essentially lost their trailers because fixing them meant shipping them back to Australia.

2. Size. A lot of the trailers in that article are literally too large to be allowed down a lot of national park roads. Think about that for a second. If a ranger is going to stop you at a park entrance because the nice paved road through the park is too twisty, how confident are you going to be taking it down an unknown forest service road? I hope the answer is not very. Maneuverability will by far be your biggest limitation with a trailer. So, imo, anything wider than your truck or longer than 25' or so is automatically disqualified from being called off-road, no matter how tough it looks or what they say in the brochure. And I'd probably prioritize that as width being the biggest clearance concern, then turning radius, then height. Watch those tree limbs.

3. How well does it tow? Just because you have an off-road trailer doesn't mean that 90% of your time isn't going to be spent on the highway. Ask around to owners to make sure that it's a comfortable tow at highway speeds. Lot's of off-road trailers sacrifice stability for a showy suspension setup, or just have inherently bad balance. Also watch out for boxy trailers that may not handle side winds well, nor the wash from semis.

4. Build quality. By that I don't mean rugged materials and such, but rather did they use quality connections for the plumbing, did they tie down the wiring so it doesn't vibrate loose, did they use stainless hardware everywhere, etc. Also, is the structure of the trailer inherently resilient to damage from vibration and generally getting banged around? 9/10 what will ruin your trip isn't getting stuck or anything like that - it's going to be the water leak when you get to camp, the broken furnace, or the fact that your lights don't work. Current owners are good sources for information on quality, as are factory tours if you can get one.

5. Watch out for trailers that don't take advantage of the things that make trailers attractive in the first place. If you have a trailer that takes an hour to set up, forces you to cook outside in the wind, has no bath, has a bunch of canvas fold outs that will inevitably mildew, etc., then what you actually have is a very expensive tent. Conqueror trailers come to mind here.

If you can find a trailer that meets those requirements, then it will take you almost anywhere. And I think that almost is enough, because the final thing to consider when picking out a trailer is that luxury in the middle of nowhere is golden. Remember that if you want to go someplace that your trailer won't, or just want to rough it for a bit, your trailer can be considered a base camp from which you can head out for a night or two of adventure. Having that base camp means warm showers, heat, a nice kitchen, etc. that you can look forward to when you get back; and, more importantly, will make your family more receptive to having the adventure in the first place. So don't think that your trailer has to do everything, go everywhere, etc. Find a balance that works for the way you want to travel. Besides, no trailer will go everywhere.

I started out in the same place you are and we looked at everything from rooftop tents to the Australian things to earth cruisers. We ended up with an Oliver, which most people would not consider an off road trailer, but after 7 years of it I can say with 100% certainty that I'd buy the same thing again. Not once has the trailer been the limit that keeps us from going where we want. But, that's for me and the way we travel. Everyone has different priorities and so spend the time to find what's the right fit for you. Get many, many opinions, and everytime you think you know exactly what you want, spend some time living with it in your head. Don't just think about what an ideal trip would be like with it. More important is what it's like when things are decidedly not ideal.
This is gold - thank you.
 
One other thing to consider is how you're going to store it. Most leaks seem to happen in storage when nobody is there no notice. This results in a lot of mold very quickly.
It would likely be stored at my home with a cover - not inside. So that's a thing - though I am building storage too - I could have a roof over it pretty quickly.
 
My suggestion is to avoid anything Chinese made.
And avoid anything Thor Industries made. The Amish working there don't know carpentry any more than their 1wk of training provides.
 
I would look at Kimberley Kampers or Bruder. If you can, attend an Overland Expo and look at what's available.

We own a Kimberley S-Class...we feel it's the best quality RV on the market. We'll be showing at the Kimberley "booth" at Overland Expo West (Flagstaff) and Mountain West (Loveland Colorado).





IMG_2571.webp
 
I would look at Kimberley Kampers or Bruder. If you can, attend an Overland Expo and look at what's available.

We own a Kimberley S-Class...we feel it's the best quality RV on the market. We'll be showing at the Kimberley "booth" at Overland Expo West (Flagstaff) and Mountain West (Loveland Colorado).





View attachment 148394
Thank you - it could be a very fun trip for me to make! :)
 
It was nice being able to go inside EVERYTHING all shapes and sizes.
While not an off-road TT, this is exactly how we decided on ours - went to shows and walked through campers. You can't replace seeing them in person. We ended up up-sizing from what we initially thought we would want once we really thought through our use case.

After speaking with many people and experiencing this firsthand, most RVs today are built without much attention to detail. I'm talking more about the manufacturing execution although there are some design discrepancies too - like wire routing, retention, etc. It seems as the smaller makers that have not been pulled into a larger conglomerate are better. Oliver, ORV, etc. We really like ours and I have just come to accept that it isn't built anywhere near the quality of any OEM Auto manufacturer. Setting that expectation has helped me cope and try to rein in the OCD. :p
 
Maybe we will do a Tremorite meetup at Expo I’ve been to most of them on the East Coast all the way back to when they were in North Carolina (anyone there for Mud fest????, we were).

I actually sold my previous truck and Khaya camper at the 2022 show, I think we skipped last year but we’re already talking about going this year.

As mentioned a great place to see what’s out there, and for us at least, a place to catch up with old friends.
 
We stopped going to the Expos when we realized that it had only ever rained the three times that we went and so figured we'd probably pissed off a lot of people with guns. Anyone else remember the Mormon lake mudpit in Arizona? That was me, I brought that rain.

Also, they once told me that my trailer wasn't overlandy enough to camp in their lot, but then the next year Oliver was a sponsor so I guess they changed their minds.

But...they did save me from buying an offroad teardrop, sending me down a path that eventually led to the trailer I have, so for that I do highly recommend the experience.
 
I am looking into building my own camping trailer. That way it can meet my needs specifically. There’s a local guy that welds custom trailers (I just want the base/frame) and then I will build up from there. I feel like this is way more cost effective in getting exactly what I want. I’ve looked at all these various brands, and no doubt their rigs are sweet, but none of them have exactly what I want. So time will tell, but that’s what I’d love to do. Hoping my kids pitch in and it becomes a fun project also.
Until the trailer happens, I’ve debated building a camper for the bed. This guy on YouTube did a nice simple setup, and it was very inexpensive. @Vermonster - I realize this isn’t for you due to your antennas (I just remove mine for this setup) but I like the idea of not having to tow something all the time, and still having the full capability of the bed. And since this isn’t a slide -in camper, I can remove it/store it a bit easier

 
Back
Top Bottom