Only Overlanding Trailer Talk

This isn’t 100% accurate. As someone who owns both a Wrappon Green and a Wrappon WT-4 I’m very familiar with them.

First off both my Green and my WT-4 were purchased through OK4WD and the WT-4 while it is indeed sold through OK it’s also sold many other places (Van builders have lots of them).

The real differences between the older Green model and the new WT-4 is size and cost. My Green was around $800 when I bought it and the new WT-4 is double that. They both use the same refills and operate the same. The WT-4 is also marginally smaller (which is why I bought it to fit in my SuperTramp) the Green model was just too big…. Finally as far as I know they are both made in Japan. Although I’ve heard previously that the Green wasn’t always Japanese made.

Anyway I can’t more highly recommend them or I wouldn’t have spent the money on them, let alone twice….

FWIW If you do buy one OK4WD has had the best prices I have found on them.
OK4WD is the master distributor for Wrappon. All other dealers are "licensed" by OK, and inquiry emails to become a Wrappon dealer actually go to Jim Oostdyk, the President of OK. OK became the distributor after a falling out between Japan and the original US licensee in Denver. OK worked with Wrappon to reduce the exterior size for the US market.

One nice thing for us owners...the guts of both the "Green" and the WT-4 are the same, so a replacement is available if the mechanism ever dies. I figure we're over 2000 flushes and still going strong.
 
It's a valid point @TRAMPER ... My counter (not owning either one and having any personal experience, mind you) is that the Wrappon is ~$600 more than the Laveo.

Looks like they are about equal on a "per flush" basis. Either 50 Wrappon bags or (3) 15 flush Laveo cartridges for $70 give or take.

Our typical trip is 4-5 days, usually Mon-Fri as we try to avoid weekends. I think the 15 flush cartridge would be about right since there is just two of us. Over the long term if it ends up being 25% more cost due to waste that $600 will still take a looong time to equal out for us.
The Wrappon can handle multiple "urination events" 😂 before flushing, so there's some ability to manage the cost.

I was told the Laveo consumables are more expensive, possibly because you have to flush after each use, but I don't have any first hand experience so I may have misunderstood.
 
One other thing to consider is how you're going to store it. Most leaks seem to happen in storage when nobody is there no notice. This results in a lot of mold very quickly.

I haven't seen good things about wrapping with tarps outside either since that keeps the humidity in and let's mice come in. A sealed garage with mouse traps at the perimeter seems to be the least maintenance.
Just a travel trailer but, I bought a cheap dehumidifier that has a little hose (and a reservoir) that hooks to it and I just leave it on with the hose draining into the gray tank(kitchen sink). It keeps my trailer pretty dry as far as I can tell. I did let the trailer sit for a week without any power and the paper of the end cap of my cabinet is now peeling off so it worked up until I didn't use it 🤦🤣 so it works🤷
 
OK4WD is the master distributor for Wrappon. All other dealers are "licensed" by OK, and inquiry emails to become a Wrappon dealer actually go to Jim Oostdyk, the President of OK. OK became the distributor after a falling out between Japan and the original US licensee in Denver. OK worked with Wrappon to reduce the exterior size for the US market.

One nice thing for us owners...the guts of both the "Green" and the WT-4 are the same, so a replacement is available if the mechanism ever dies. I figure we're over 2000 flushes and still going strong.
That’s correct. SE was the original importer. I actually know Jim, though I know his son Rin much better. Good family and good people!
 
I was told the Laveo consumables are more expensive, possibly because you have to flush after each use, but I don't have any first hand experience so I may have misunderstood.
I may do some additional research on this and/or contact them. A few of the YT videos I watched today stated that you don't have to flush after each #1. I would like a definitive answer, though.
 
I may do some additional research on this and/or contact them. A few of the YT videos I watched today stated that you don't have to flush after each #1. I would like a definitive answer, though.
More crap talk... :p

Apparently multiple urinations are fine with the Laveo. They sell "Pee Powder" which deodorizes and solidifies the liquid... At least to a gel.

"After urinating simply shake a small amount of Pee Powder onto the urine and walk away. One teaspoon is enough to gel 10 ounces of liquid. Because you urinate more often than you poop, you can easily get three uses before flushing your Laveo by Dry Flush toilet. We recommend that you flush and not use the Pee Powder if you poop, and we also recommend that you not extend more than three urinations without flushing the Laveo by Dry Flush toilet."
 
More crap talk... :p

Apparently multiple urinations are fine with the Laveo. They sell "Pee Powder" which deodorizes and solidifies the liquid... At least to a gel.

"After urinating simply shake a small amount of Pee Powder onto the urine and walk away. One teaspoon is enough to gel 10 ounces of liquid. Because you urinate more often than you poop, you can easily get three uses before flushing your Laveo by Dry Flush toilet. We recommend that you flush and not use the Pee Powder if you poop, and we also recommend that you not extend more than three urinations without flushing the Laveo by Dry Flush toilet."
Seems like a pretty decent option for a camper!!! Pun intended but I also like having mine around for a SHTF scenario.
 
View attachment 148371View attachment 148372


I have an OBI Dweller 15. Overall I liked the idea of it for my wife and I. Now we have a baby on the way will probably move to something a little bigger. Which may defeat the purpose of the off road trailer with trail size and size of these trucks starting to be an issue the bigger you get. I will say not owning any type of trailer before I was not prepared with just how much goes into making everything work, setting up, towing into remote areas where turning around may be an issue, etc. I have moved from ground camping with a tent, to roof top tent, and now this trailer. I used it for hunting and work great for just me. However, having wife and new baby will probably be a little tight depending how much time you spend indoors. I will say compared to friends who have regular travel trailers that are equivalent size or pop ups they are head and shoulders above but you pay for it.
We got the OBI Dweller 13. For just my wife and I, it's perfect, and got it at a great price. We've done the ground tents, several travel trailers, toy haulers, Roof Top Tent, for now, this is the best yet. As far as getting it back into some great places, no problemmo!
 

Attachments

  • 20240115_092901[1].webp
    20240115_092901[1].webp
    465 KB · Views: 84
  • 20240222_154301.webp
    20240222_154301.webp
    392.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 20230926_172334[1].webp
    20230926_172334[1].webp
    383.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 20231002_093650[1].webp
    20231002_093650[1].webp
    351.7 KB · Views: 84
What made you choose the GFC topper instead of the full GFC camper?
I had already purchase a RTT from 4x4 Colorado. I also wanted to use my bed more for storage than living space. The GFC camper mostly expects you to use the bed as partial living space. I also wanted a bigger tent. The topper is awesome. Extremely well made and looks very durable.
 
Yes the hogs back. Didn’t bother me at all I just kept hearing “slow down!” Then she saw a school bus driving kids on the road and kinda backed off😎. I think it was hwy 12 north of there that had the most amazing Aspen forest I’ve ever seen.

I’m due for another trip in that area. Kids are 16 and 18 now so they don’t want to go to cool places to do cool things with their cool parents as much anymore. Doh!View attachment 149286
Yeah, we love Utah. Such a beautiful place. We head through Zion and Moab in a couple of months.
 
Yes the hogs back. Didn’t bother me at all I just kept hearing “slow down!” Then she saw a school bus driving kids on the road and kinda backed off😎. I think it was hwy 12 north of there that had the most amazing Aspen forest I’ve ever seen.

I’m due for another trip in that area. Kids are 16 and 18 now so they don’t want to go to cool places to do cool things with their cool parents as much anymore. Doh!View attachment 149286
Oh yeah, it’s 12, not 11. We drove that in late September a couple of years ago. Amazing colors. Such a beautiful drive.
 
Cool thread. I have a humvee trailer M1102 that I want to use for overlanding and deep off grid exploring one day. Right now it's just bare and used as a garage for my dirt bike. I have slept it in with a cot with a buddy heater and it was nice in the desert. I went with this trailer becuase I thought it looked cool and loved the high clearance it gives me.

M1102 Trailer with dirt bike.jpeg
 
@TonyJ buddy of mine got into an OBI Dweller. He and I have been working on designing brackets/mounts to convert all of his renogy stuff to victron. I go to visit him in two weeks to help him install a rooftop A/C unit. Check him out on youtube: cowboykyle

Hes currently running 3-100AH Lithiums, and victron cerbo, DCDC charger, shunt, 2- MPPT controllers and victrons 3kw inverter/charger.
 
@TonyJ buddy of mine got into an OBI Dweller. He and I have been working on designing brackets/mounts to convert all of his renogy stuff to victron. I go to visit him in two weeks to help him install a rooftop A/C unit. Check him out on youtube: cowboykyle

Hes currently running 3-100AH Lithiums, and victron cerbo, DCDC charger, shunt, 2- MPPT controllers and victrons 3kw inverter/charger.
Thanks for the info! Just watched one of his videos and realized I watched his video on installing better shocks about 5 months ago. Thanks again!!
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the info! Just watched one of his videos and realized I watched his video on installing better shocks about 5 months ago. Thanks again!!
Glad, but not surprised, you found it helpful. He loves sharing his knowledge/experience/lessons learned.

regarding the dweller... its a capable off-road camper. I was behind him the entire week we were on the Wyoming BDR. He towed it with a 2015 6.2L F250. I'm positive the dweller could do more but thats not our goal. Just need enough capability to take the road less traveled.
 
@TonyJ I recently helped my buddy install a rooftop a/c on his D13. He custom built an aluminum spacer bracket to help with the install. Just found out that a few other dweller owners on FB hit him up about his install and now... he's putting a kit together for them so they can do the same. Hit him up if you ever decide to do the same.
 
Back
Top Bottom