Oil Shortage is a Real Thing

If you are needing to use a heater on a flash bang engine, there is something else going on.


My bad. Not a need, but a want. My mistake was reading a book written by an SAE automotive petroleum engineer AND HE SAID (lmao - it's just another opinion, I get it) that any time you can start a cold engine with just that --->||<--- warmer oil, it's a good thing. That's all.

Meaning, I wanted to order a truck w/ a factory block heater but was too late to do so for a '25, then found one already built and in local inventory.
 
My bad. Not a need, but a want. My mistake was reading a book written by an SAE automotive petroleum engineer AND HE SAID (lmao - it's just another opinion, I get it) that any time you can start a cold engine with just that --->||<--- warmer oil, it's a good thing. That's all.
Gotcha. Whew. You had me head scratching.
For craps and chuckles, I’d like to see a Cst chart that shows the kinematic viscosity change between 30*f and 0*f on the oil. Then, the difference in engine oil temperature between the oil when using/ not using a water jacket heater.
I bet it’s not much. Water jacket (“block” heaters) don’t warm the oil except what lays in the valvetrain above the heater.
What you would want is an immersion oil pan heater. Also one in the transmission pan, transfer case and differential. Folks forget that the engine heater (immersion, water jacket, magnetic) only heat a very small portion of the moving parts.
 
What you would want is an immersion oil pan heater.

Yes.

A fella has to start somewhere, and when I saw the option for factory-fitted block heater I wanted that.
 
Just ordered 5 gallons of Motorcraft 10-W30 from Walmart. $26.97/gallon. Should be delivered this afternoon. Its $36/gal at Advance Auto or O'Rielly's if you can get it.
 
I had an oil change scheduled for my truck for next week and the dealer called and said they don't have any oil in stock and will let me know if they need to cancel.....

Anyone else seeing or hearing this? Specifically in So Cal....(yes, I know)
 
I had an oil change scheduled for my truck for next week and the dealer called and said they don't have any oil in stock and will let me know if they need to cancel.....

Anyone else seeing or hearing this? Specifically in So Cal....(yes, I know)
I hope you are changing your oil ahead of the recommended frequency, allowing some extra miles to be put on without harm while you wait for the dealership to get oil in stock.

Just one more reason to do this yourself and have a supply on hand.
 
Last edited:
Just ordered 5 gallons of Motorcraft 10-W30 from Walmart. $26.97/gallon. Should be delivered this afternoon. Its $36/gal at Advance Auto or O'Rielly's if you can get it.
Those are 1.25 Gallons so 5 QTs each. You should get 1 more and have 2 complete oil changes.

1791482391546.webp


Edit:
I just ordered 6x myself and 1x filter as I already had an extra one.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom