Oil Shortage is a Real Thing

Toxophilite

Tremor Archer
Tremor of the Month 🏆
Crew Chief 🧰
Trail Captain 🧭
Meetup Organizer 🌵
GB Coordinator 📢
Joined
Aug 31, 2024
Messages
981
Reaction Points
2,375
Location
Chandler, Arizona
Current Ride #1
24’ F350 Platinum Tremor 6.7 HO
I know there was a thread about oil prices rising a few months back. Well apparently not only are the prices way up, certain weights of oil are becoming hard to find. In Arizona, it is almost impossible to find 5w40 in Rotella or Motorcraft. I am not trying to cause a panic buying spree, but to my fellow Tremorites, I do suggest you at least pick up enough oil to do your next oil change. It seems like the dealerships and service centers are buying it all up, leaving very little for the consumer market right now.
 
I inadvertantly porchoised a second case of Motorcraft 5W-30 synthetic blend two months ago... now I have three 8-quart oil changes at the ready, but with one happening this week some morning before the heatwave we're under peaks at 600* before 11 a.m.

(currently in southern California - how can I really complain about the WEATHER?)

It is kinda warm, though. 102* yesterday, and this is three miles from the Pacific ocean. yeeesh.
 
Before I forget - I did see a financial story this morning mentioning the release of 100 million barrels' storage over the next four months.

Granted that's a drop in the bucket on the world stage.
 
Glad I keep 2 oil changes on the shelf in the shop.
About 6 months ago, Tractor Supply had a sale - $99 for a 5 gallon pail of Rotella T6. I bought three - Still have two.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1170.webp
    IMG_1170.webp
    133.7 KB · Views: 4
Yea...add on the $23.00 OEM oil filters (6.7L) from Wal-Mart shelves...I mean...it's getting crazy out there. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:cool::cool:🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲
 
I know there was a thread about oil prices rising a few months back. Well apparently not only are the prices way up, certain weights of oil are becoming hard to find. In Arizona, it is almost impossible to find 5w40 in Rotella or Motorcraft. I am not trying to cause a panic buying spree, but to my fellow Tremorites, I do suggest you at least pick up enough oil to do your next oil change. It seems like the dealerships and service centers are buying it all up, leaving very little for the consumer market right now.
Amazon did not have 5w-40 Rotella T6 but plenty of 15w-40 at a reasonable price. It took me 3 trips to Walmart to find 5w-40 in stock. $33 a gal 😳
 
Amazon did not have 5w-40 Rotella T6 but plenty of 15w-40 at a reasonable price. It took me 3 trips to Walmart to find 5w-40 in stock. $33 a gal 😳
Walmart here only allows you to buy 1 gallon per transaction on the 5w40, even online and they want $60 for a gallon. Crazy

Hoping that 5w40 oil doesn’t become the Toilet Paper of COVID


IMG_1171.webp
 
Last edited:
One change and two filters on the shelf. I’ll be using the oil and one filter in a month or so. Guess I need to replenish instead of waiting.
Tractor supply is a little more reasonable. The local Auto Zone has 20 qt Triax for $118.
1791152710426.webp
 
I know there was a thread about oil prices rising a few months back. Well apparently not only are the prices way up, certain weights of oil are becoming hard to find. In Arizona, it is almost impossible to find 5w40 in Rotella or Motorcraft. I am not trying to cause a panic buying spree, but to my fellow Tremorites, I do suggest you at least pick up enough oil to do your next oil change. It seems like the dealerships and service centers are buying it all up, leaving very little for the consumer market right now.
This is exactly how shortages get worse though. Buying something you don't need right now while the supply chain is struggling will just make it worse.

You say you don't want to cause panic buying followed up by immediately suggesting people start panic buying.
Walmart here only allows you to buy 1 gallon per transaction on the 5w40, even online and they want $60 for a gallon. Crazy
View attachment 274141
Walmart isn't selling it for that price. It's being sold by a 3rd party through Walmart.com. Walmart's website is a marketplace just like Amazon. Have to be careful what you buy as a lot of junk is sold on it through third party sellers and they can charge whatever they want.
 
This is exactly how shortages get worse though. Buying something you don't need right now while the supply chain is struggling will just make it worse.

You say you don't want to cause panic buying followed up by immediately suggesting people start panic buying.

Walmart isn't selling it for that price. It's being sold by a 3rd party through Walmart.com. Walmart's website is a marketplace just like Amazon. Have to be careful what you buy as a lot of junk is sold on it through third party sellers and they can charge whatever they want.
I am not suggesting panic buying. That would be saying “go buy everything you can” I am suggesting that people simply have enough for their next oil change.
 
Back
Top Bottom