FYI 2022 Updated Production Schedule

Ever played a relay race?

That's kinda how UPS/FedEx/USPS (basically non-freight) work.

You give them a package -- they pass it from driver to driver until it gets to where it's going. Those drivers operate under a certain class that is not the same as a semi.

For freight, your truck, it's going to be on a class of truck that has a special set of DoT regulations. Among these regulations are breaks. Not brakes like brakes like brake caliper -- but break like lunch break.

Some of these brakes are literally more than one day.

So, why does it take so long? Look up DoT regulations for driver breaks and you'll loose your mind.

Essentially -- you've got a guy driving around that has to exit the highway and find a place to park and take a break every X hours. So his 30 minute break instead of being 30 minutes is really an hour or two because that's just how things go, realistically. Then every X hours over Y days they have to stop and take a 34 hour break.

Now, you're a driver -- you're human, you don't want to take your 34 hour break just anywhere so you plan your trip so it sucks less while still providing that you have a good place to stop for what will most likely end up being 2-3 days.

There you have it. A one week haul by a vigilant driver turns into 2+ weeks largely due to regulation. Otherwise that driver would most likely bust chops to get things delivered and get back home to have a break they could enjoy more.

You also have to factor in there dealer time -- let's say they've got 10 cars going to 5 dealerships each of those 5 stops probably takes 2-3 hours to deal with unloading, paperwork, etc.. Ideally they'd all be going to one dealer and then you'd see much faster delivery times but with the drivers days all chopped up by stops and unwanted DoT breaks -- it gets stretched out.

Likewise, that results in pissed off drivers who go find loads to carry that are a straight shot so the rates go up. On and on, it's a mess. Almost all of which can be traced back to government action that itself can be traced back to corporate lobbying under the guise of safety with the reality of stifling independent and small operation competition to big corporations.
Yes that I am aware of to some degree but its still just crazy 608 miles can take this many days . Its to inconsistent much like the builds are. The whole processed needs streamlined for efficiency
 
Little known fact: That paint is reserved for only the coolest of cool... I think they have to mine the minerals out of rare earth magnet extract to complete the formulation. Rare earth production is globally dominated by the Chinese right now - so it complicates things... A keen eye will note that the price does not increase for Iconic Silver but there is a "behind the scenes" selection process. I tried to add it to my order but the pick kept defaulting to the $595 Star White option. I guess I am not cool :(

Please don't believe anything stated above...

Happy Thursday all!
That was awesome! I also noticed my typo of "pain" rather than "paint"! Not sure what that's about! LOL
 
5 Months, 20 days, 11 hours and 13 minutes! Finally and I absolutely love it! Really glad I added the winch
Great looking combo! Congrats.
 
I guess I am not paying pennance for how fast my build was or something.

Orderd 9/11
Vin and Build info 9/16
Build Week 10/11
Built 10/13
Ship Date 10/16

Now seems to be lost on never never land ha ha its 608 Miles from SD Plant to Granger Ford, that seems like a 3 to 5 day delivery to me not 3 weeks especially since yours went across the country and you have have it and it shipped 10 days later. Who knows?

I guess it was too good to be true. Just as I was leaving to pick up my truck, the dealership called again, "We are so sorry, but that's not your truck. Ford transposed the order numbers. The delivery sheet had your order number, but the VIN is for a different order. Your truck is still en route... somewhere... hopefully in the next coupe weeks."

:cautious:
 
I guess it was too good to be true. Just as I was leaving to pick up my truck, the dealership called again, "We are so sorry, but that's not your truck. Ford transposed the order numbers. The delivery sheet had your order number, but the VIN is for a different order. Your truck is still en route... somewhere... hopefully in the next coupe weeks."

:cautious:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

That sucks beyond just about anything. I feel for you. damn it
 
I guess it was too good to be true. Just as I was leaving to pick up my truck, the dealership called again, "We are so sorry, but that's not your truck. Ford transposed the order numbers. The delivery sheet had your order number, but the VIN is for a different order. Your truck is still en route... somewhere... hopefully in the next coupe weeks."

:cautious:
Oh man - that's the worst!
 
I guess it was too good to be true. Just as I was leaving to pick up my truck, the dealership called again, "We are so sorry, but that's not your truck. Ford transposed the order numbers. The delivery sheet had your order number, but the VIN is for a different order. Your truck is still en route... somewhere... hopefully in the next coupe weeks."

:cautious:
Ouch!!!
 
Yes that I am aware of to some degree but its still just crazy 608 miles can take this many days . Its to inconsistent much like the builds are. The whole processed needs streamlined for efficiency
Mine took 31 days to get to SW Missouri(9 hr drive from the plant). The shipping is a mess!
 
This was the deciding factor with going for the 350 gasser for me. The nearly 4k lb payload is just a beautiful thing.
Same for me, mine is a 350 w/ 7.3 (non-Tremor) regular cab 2wd, and my payload is a whopping 4300+ lbs. Not that I'll ever max it out, but still nice to know it's there if I need it.
 
5 Months, 20 days, 11 hours and 13 minutes! Finally and I absolutely love it! Really glad I added the winch
I’m not really a red truck guy but this looks sharp, especially with the black package!
 
I guess it was too good to be true. Just as I was leaving to pick up my truck, the dealership called again, "We are so sorry, but that's not your truck. Ford transposed the order numbers. The delivery sheet had your order number, but the VIN is for a different order. Your truck is still en route... somewhere... hopefully in the next coupe weeks."

:cautious:
Oh no... sorry man. Talk about a buzz-kill!!!
 
Mine took 31 days to get to SW Missouri(9 hr drive from the plant). The shipping is a mess!
Oh this pains me to read. I hope that is not so for me
 
Ever played a relay race?

That's kinda how UPS/FedEx/USPS (basically non-freight) work.

You give them a package -- they pass it from driver to driver until it gets to where it's going. Those drivers operate under a certain class that is not the same as a semi.

For freight, your truck, it's going to be on a class of truck that has a special set of DoT regulations. Among these regulations are breaks. Not brakes like brakes like brake caliper -- but break like lunch break.

Some of these brakes are literally more than one day.

So, why does it take so long? Look up DoT regulations for driver breaks and you'll loose your mind.

Essentially -- you've got a guy driving around that has to exit the highway and find a place to park and take a break every X hours. So his 30 minute break instead of being 30 minutes is really an hour or two because that's just how things go, realistically. Then every X hours over Y days they have to stop and take a 34 hour break.

Now, you're a driver -- you're human, you don't want to take your 34 hour break just anywhere so you plan your trip so it sucks less while still providing that you have a good place to stop for what will most likely end up being 2-3 days.

There you have it. A one week haul by a vigilant driver turns into 2+ weeks largely due to regulation. Otherwise that driver would most likely bust chops to get things delivered and get back home to have a break they could enjoy more.

You also have to factor in there dealer time -- let's say they've got 10 cars going to 5 dealerships each of those 5 stops probably takes 2-3 hours to deal with unloading, paperwork, etc.. Ideally they'd all be going to one dealer and then you'd see much faster delivery times but with the drivers days all chopped up by stops and unwanted DoT breaks -- it gets stretched out.

Likewise, that results in pissed off drivers who go find loads to carry that are a straight shot so the rates go up. On and on, it's a mess. Almost all of which can be traced back to government action that itself can be traced back to corporate lobbying under the guise of safety with the reality of stifling independent and small operation competition to big corporations.
The electronic log books do hinder freight times, not that much. I run a retail business and my main distributor is 1,700 miles away. Before the e log books it was 2-3 days for one driver. Now it is 3-4 days unless I get a team (2 drivers, one rests/sleeps while the other drives.

What is more realistic is that they can't find a driver to pick up the load for what they are willing to pay. This happens to me often. Drivers are in demand and they are going with who pays them the most. For that 1700 mile delivery, I pay about $4,300 to get it to me in Northern CA. There were times this past year that I was being quoted $6,500 to get my freight to me because there were no drivers. That hurts the bottom line as I have already agreed on a price with the customer. Keep in mind that just last year in 2020, I was paying $2,800 - $3,000 for freight.
 
The electronic log books do hinder freight times, not that much. I run a retail business and my main distributor is 1,700 miles away. Before the e log books it was 2-3 days for one driver. Now it is 3-4 days unless I get a team (2 drivers, one rests/sleeps while the other drives.

What is more realistic is that they can't find a driver to pick up the load for what they are willing to pay. This happens to me often. Drivers are in demand and they are going with who pays them the most. For that 1700 mile delivery, I pay about $4,300 to get it to me in Northern CA. There were times this past year that I was being quoted $6,500 to get my freight to me because there were no drivers. That hurts the bottom line as I have already agreed on a price with the customer. Keep in mind that just last year in 2020, I was paying $2,800 - $3,000 for freight.
It almost sounds like its gotten to the point it would be cheaper in the long run to buy your own rig and hire your own drivers to do your freight, find a few companies on the other end and haul to your pick up stuff for them ha crazy world we live in getting stuff these days
 
I almost feel bad posting this and rubbing it in but since Vermonster finally has a build date and I waited almost exactly 6 months I think it’s okay. As I posted in this thread, at times I was at the point where I felt like I should just give up on a Super Duty until Ford got their act together and pick up a Ram or GMC off the lot in the meantime. Now that I’m in my F-350 with a perma-grin I know how much I would have regretted that. I couldn’t be happier with the truck or dealership experience at Granger. For you guys still in limbo in my opinion these trucks are well worth the wait and the frustration of Ford’s communication (or lack thereof).

I’m only ~250 miles into my 1500 mile trip home and I don’t want to clog up this thread with my truck review or trip report but once I’m home safe I’ll post all of that elsewhere.
 

Attachments

  • 2FB53F5C-79D5-46FA-A771-0E417EEA7AD8.webp
    2FB53F5C-79D5-46FA-A771-0E417EEA7AD8.webp
    334.5 KB · Views: 118
  • FBB20D1E-BA15-4A1D-AB4C-FDC342FD39A5.webp
    FBB20D1E-BA15-4A1D-AB4C-FDC342FD39A5.webp
    270.6 KB · Views: 123
I almost feel bad posting this and rubbing it in but since Vermonster finally has a build date and I waited almost exactly 6 months I think it’s okay. As I posted in this thread, at times I was at the point where I felt like I should just give up on a Super Duty until Ford got their act together and pick up a Ram or GMC off the lot in the meantime. Now that I’m in my F-350 with a perma-grin I know how much I would have regretted that. I couldn’t be happier with the truck or dealership experience at Granger. For you guys still in limbo in my opinion these trucks are well worth the wait and the frustration of Ford’s communication (or lack thereof).

I’m only ~250 miles into my 1500 mile trip home and I don’t want to clog up this thread with my truck review or trip report but once I’m home safe I’ll post all of that elsewhere.
Very nice and I am jealous as I wait for mine to hit Granger lol Well done sir.
 
It almost sounds like its gotten to the point it would be cheaper in the long run to buy your own rig and hire your own drivers to do your freight, find a few companies on the other end and haul to your pick up stuff for them ha crazy world we live in getting stuff these days
Don't get me started on that...been there, thought that! In the beautiful state of CA Semi's have to be from 2011 or newer and meet all of the CA emission regulations. Plus I only get about 11-12 shipments a year, so it just does not pencil out.
 
Back
Top Bottom