Forscan for 2022

Okay, so went in today to do a few upgrades. Plugged in, connected, all good. Selected the module I wanted to tweak, then hit write. I was only changing one thing. 50% into it, Forscan appeared to stop writing. It wouldn't move anymore. It was stuck at 50%. But, I was able to still move around the program. So I hit the stop service button, and the button went dark, as to show it wasn't able to be pressed again. But nothing else happened. I couldn't do anything else. I waited a few more minutes, and nothing would happen. I wasn't sure what to do, wasn't sure if it was even writing or doing anything anymore, so, for better or for worse, I just unplugged the OBD reader. Disconnect warning popped up, so I cleared them, shut down Forscan, and restarted it. Plugged in, and now, it won't connect to the car. I started up and drove around a bit, and I have no obvious issues. My banks pedal and e-venture is still reading through the OBD port (I checked by putting the truck in reverse, and the pedal monster identified it as being in reverse). I waited 20 minutes, and let the truck sit for a bit, then tried again - it still won't connect. I'm at a loss of what to do. On the main Forscan log screen, it just says "unable to connect. Make sure car is on". When I go to the log tab, it says "CAN failure 3%, BUS failure 3%". So I assume it's not reading, and something is "jammed up" in the communication loop. How do I unjam this? Hope this made sense
I previously read on Forscan.org forum that people have experienced this type of "lock" situation. The recommendation was to remove Forscan, reinstall, and try again. Also, ensure you have the latest release and your license is active...

Not real techy, but I would also reboot the laptop...
 
I previously read on Forscan.org forum that people have experienced this type of "lock" situation. The recommendation was to remove Forscan, reinstall, and try again. Also, ensure you have the latest release and your license is active...

Not real techy, but I would also reboot the laptop...
I rebooted the computer and the laptop, but I will try the reinstall as well. I'm not super worried, at least, since the truck seems fine. But I'd like to get this resolved. Thanks @Modman - I'll update once I try your recommendations in full
 
Okay, so went in today to do a few upgrades. Plugged in, connected, all good. Selected the module I wanted to tweak, then hit write. I was only changing one thing. 50% into it, Forscan appeared to stop writing. It wouldn't move anymore. It was stuck at 50%. But, I was able to still move around the program. So I hit the stop service button, and the button went dark, as to show it wasn't able to be pressed again. But nothing else happened. I couldn't do anything else. I waited a few more minutes, and nothing would happen. I wasn't sure what to do, wasn't sure if it was even writing or doing anything anymore, so, for better or for worse, I just unplugged the OBD reader. Disconnect warning popped up, so I cleared them, shut down Forscan, and restarted it. Plugged in, and now, it won't connect to the car. I started up and drove around a bit, and I have no obvious issues. My banks pedal and e-venture is still reading through the OBD port (I checked by putting the truck in reverse, and the pedal monster identified it as being in reverse). I waited 20 minutes, and let the truck sit for a bit, then tried again - it still won't connect. I'm at a loss of what to do. On the main Forscan log screen, it just says "unable to connect. Make sure car is on". When I go to the log tab, it says "CAN failure 3%, BUS failure 3%". So I assume it's not reading, and something is "jammed up" in the communication loop. How do I unjam this? Hope this made sense
My first instinct is disconnect and reconnect the battery (if you have dual batteries disconnect the ground cables on both batteries).

Only concern is if something is in a weird state that could stop the truck from being able to restart. If you do that, make sure you’re somewhere you’re OK with the truck being stranded.

Not saying that’s likely, but just a concern.

Which module were you writing to?
 
@Modman @ccw - Uninstalled and reinstalled Forscan. Connects to the truck now. I was originally writing to the PCM. Now, it connects and starts to read all the available modules. TCM - done. PCM - Stuck. It won't read past this module. So, I think something is definitely messed up on the truck side. I drove around my yard, so I don't think it has done something immediately to the truck, but not sure how to remedy this issue. I clicked disconnect from the truck, and the button highlight goes out as if it's disconnected, but the OBD device is still flashing and Forscan still says 'reading vehicle info". So now I'm at a loss of what to do. I don't know how long to wait before pulling the plug again. Good times.....
 
  • Sad
Reactions: ccw
Okay, I pulled the reader. No problems. As long as I hit the disconnect button, it was fine. Reconnected. Decided to load the previous profile. Still stops on trying to read the PCM module. Error - PCM - unable to read DTC. So, Not sure what to do know. Doesn't connect direct, doesn't load up previous saved profile, not sure what else to do here
 
  • Like
Reactions: ccw
Got it to read completely - no clue what I did. Bunch of random error codes, like puddle lamps and such. So cleared them all, cycled the truck engine. Connected, tried to read, and it get's stuck on PCM again. This is ridiculous
 
  • Like
Reactions: ccw
Did you try pulling the battery cable(s)? That should force a reset of the modules. You can do that from Forscan but probably want to eliminate that from the solution set if possible so as not to confound the issue...
 
  • Like
Reactions: ccw
Did you try pulling the battery cable(s)? That should force a reset of the modules. You can do that from Forscan but probably want to eliminate that from the solution set if possible so as not to confound the issue...
That’s my next move
 
Disconnected the batteries. Reconnected. Got back in the truck, and it's the same issue. Won't read past PCM module. I'll just give it some time and see if it resets itself eventually.
 
  • Sad
Reactions: ccw
Weird. I will look through my troubleshooting notes tomorrow and see if there is something I'm forgetting that may be of help...
 
Weird. I will look through my troubleshooting notes tomorrow and see if there is something I'm forgetting that may be of help...
Thanks. I've tried all I can think of, in addition to what you guys have suggested. Nothing obvious is coming up in the Forscan forum either. I'll try again in a day or so and see what happens, and in the meantime, make sure I'm not noticing anything weird in the truck operation.
 
Drove around town a lot today. Truck had sit for a few days, wanted to make sure the batteries topped off and that the truck didn't have any obvious issues. All is functioning as it should, anti-collision and everything. Came home, plugged in Forscan, and it won't even connect to the vehicle. Unistalled/Reinstalled Forscan. Still won't connect. I'm done. Truck works fine, so I guess it is what it is now. I wanted to do the stealth mode setup, but oh well.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ccw
Drove around town a lot today. Truck had sit for a few days, wanted to make sure the batteries topped off and that the truck didn't have any obvious issues. All is functioning as it should, anti-collision and everything. Came home, plugged in Forscan, and it won't even connect to the vehicle. Unistalled/Reinstalled Forscan. Still won't connect. I'm done. Truck works fine, so I guess it is what it is now. I wanted to do the stealth mode setup, but oh well.
The only thing I found that may be worth trying is to go back a release level. Latest Forscan release 2.3.49 (Oct '22). Coincidental that it includes this change for 2022 vehicles?

"improved loading vehicle profile in case of no connection to PCM: VIN is taken from the profile that will let user load As Built Data by VIN"

You could uninstall .49 and load .48 and see if that works...


After that I'm at a loss...
 
  • Useful
Reactions: ccw
The only thing I found that may be worth trying is to go back a release level. Latest Forscan release 2.3.49 (Oct '22). Coincidental that it includes this change for 2022 vehicles?

"improved loading vehicle profile in case of no connection to PCM: VIN is taken from the profile that will let user load As Built Data by VIN"

You could uninstall .49 and load .48 and see if that works...


After that I'm at a loss...
It's funny you mention this, because I actually thought about that as well. I'll try it tomorrow maybe. I'm too annoyed today. haha. Thanks for the help brother!
 
It's funny you mention this, because I actually thought about that as well. I'll try it tomorrow maybe. I'm too annoyed today. haha. Thanks for the help brother!
Been a couple days and I am invested in this! Where you able to get it to work?
 
Been a couple days and I am invested in this! Where you able to get it to work?
I haven't tried it yet. I'm discouraged. I'll give it a go this weekend again.
 
Has anyone seen this before?

After breaking out FORScan for the first time last weekend (mods below), I actually used the FM tuner today. The stations are all showing the frequency to the hundredths place - but that doesn't fit for stations over 99.9.

image1.webp
image0.webp


If I reset the APIM (power + seek_right) the station display goes back to "normal".... until I restart the truck again.

I have not yet backed out each change one-by-one to see what did this. Heck, maybe it wasn't even the FORScan changes for all I know at this point. I do know that it's new behavior - I used to see the whole station.

FORScan mods:
  • Disabled driver's seatbelt chime
  • Add average speed to trip/fuel menu
  • Disable door ajar chimes
  • Disables triple ding at start up
  • Double double honk w/o key fob in running Truck
  • TPMS psi lowered
  • Bambi mode
  • Temps on gauges
  • DPF% on screen
  • Auto regen checkbox
  • Lincoln style autofolding mirrors
  • Turn signal flash count set to 5
  • Parking brake chime set to vehicle speed (from put in gear)
  • Navigation in-motion (<-- the first one I'm going to revert as a test)
Any thoughts? Similar experiences?

2022 F-350 Lariat Ultimate Tremor 6.7
 

Attachments

  • image1.webp
    image1.webp
    51.7 KB · Views: 48
Has anyone seen this before?

After breaking out FORScan for the first time last weekend (mods below), I actually used the FM tuner today. The stations are all showing the frequency to the hundredths place - but that doesn't fit for stations over 99.9.

View attachment 109235View attachment 109237

If I reset the APIM (power + seek_right) the station display goes back to "normal".... until I restart the truck again.

I have not yet backed out each change one-by-one to see what did this. Heck, maybe it wasn't even the FORScan changes for all I know at this point. I do know that it's new behavior - I used to see the whole station.

FORScan mods:
  • Disabled driver's seatbelt chime
  • Add average speed to trip/fuel menu
  • Disable door ajar chimes
  • Disables triple ding at start up
  • Double double honk w/o key fob in running Truck
  • TPMS psi lowered
  • Bambi mode
  • Temps on gauges
  • DPF% on screen
  • Auto regen checkbox
  • Lincoln style autofolding mirrors
  • Turn signal flash count set to 5
  • Parking brake chime set to vehicle speed (from put in gear)
  • Navigation in-motion (<-- the first one I'm going to revert as a test)
Any thoughts? Similar experiences?

2022 F-350 Lariat Ultimate Tremor 6.7
Had this happen as well but only used the radio once in the last year so didn't care.
 
Back
Top Bottom