Carli Pathfinder suspension

@BLACKCHERRY Thank you for checking on me. I can ask about tracking.

The order was placed maybe two months back (from my perspective) and they expected everything early Nov. That came and went with only the HD rear leafs not yet in (I also have things unrelated to suspension being done). I believe the shop talked to Carli and thought for sure by two weeks later they would be in, but I think the saga included a shipment of parts they received last week, but it didn’t have the HD leafs. The way the shop explained it there was some holdup on Carli’s side for a while with 5.5 HDs and then they hit this shipping snafu.
 
@BLACKCHERRY Thank you for checking on me. I can ask about tracking.

The order was placed maybe two months back (from my perspective) and they expected everything early Nov. That came and went with only the HD rear leafs not yet in (I also have things unrelated to suspension being done). I believe the shop talked to Carli and thought for sure by two weeks later they would be in, but I think the saga included a shipment of parts they received last week, but it didn’t have the HD leafs. The way the shop explained it there was some holdup on Carli’s side for a while with 5.5 HDs and then they hit this shipping snafu.
FWIW the leafs were the delayed part for me too. Had to reschedule the install a few times while waiting for them to arrive. Overall delay was a few weeks from initial install date.
 
Got my truck back a couple of days ago with the pintop and XHD springs., shackles/sway bar. Immediately drove up the shittiest forest service road around. Amazing.

On road it’s amazing too but I had my expectations predefined. Steering is SOOOO much better with increased castor and tracks with one finger vs the constant lively “active” feel previously. Doesn’t catch truck ruts and road imperfections anymore making it much more relaxing to drive. Same Mickey Thompson Baja boss AT’s but feels totally better.

Was following this for the pathfinder but the pintop was the best option for a 1800lb slide in camper (that I don’t have yet).

If there’s no weight in it you feel the spring and shock valving. I drove 2-1/2hrs to get 1200lbs of clay for my wife’s business. Empty on the way was better than stock if that’s saying much. Loaded on the way back was effortless and obviously the ride was much smoother and the shocks really make the truck feel planted and predictable.

It’s so controlled that you feel like the more aggressive you drive the better it gets. It’s going to be a riot with the camper. It was a $14k smile but I’m still smiling 🙂 Really appreciate the advice from @BLACKCHERRY to make me love my truck again.

Sorry this has no relation to the pathfinder experience but I’m super happy with where I ended up! On to the truck camper thread and see whats next…..
 
@BLACKCHERRY Thank you for checking on me. I can ask about tracking.

The order was placed maybe two months back (from my perspective) and they expected everything early Nov. That came and went with only the HD rear leafs not yet in (I also have things unrelated to suspension being done). I believe the shop talked to Carli and thought for sure by two weeks later they would be in, but I think the saga included a shipment of parts they received last week, but it didn’t have the HD leafs. The way the shop explained it there was some holdup on Carli’s side for a while with 5.5 HDs and then they hit this shipping snafu.
Yeah, they landed on time and were labeled wrong. We had to re-stencil the proper part and REV on each spring by hand which caused a short delay. Apologies! That said, they're all corrected and have been shipped so they should be somewhere on their way to you. If you'd like me to hunt down your specific set, I'd be happy to assist. I'll need to know from whom you ordered and from whom they ordered!
FWIW the leafs were the delayed part for me too. Had to reschedule the install a few times while waiting for them to arrive. Overall delay was a few weeks from initial install date.
This one was a bit different as it was the initial release of these leaf springs to those that preordered them.
 
Got my truck back a couple of days ago with the pintop and XHD springs., shackles/sway bar. Immediately drove up the shittiest forest service road around. Amazing.

On road it’s amazing too but I had my expectations predefined. Steering is SOOOO much better with increased castor and tracks with one finger vs the constant lively “active” feel previously. Doesn’t catch truck ruts and road imperfections anymore making it much more relaxing to drive. Same Mickey Thompson Baja boss AT’s but feels totally better.

Was following this for the pathfinder but the pintop was the best option for a 1800lb slide in camper (that I don’t have yet).

If there’s no weight in it you feel the spring and shock valving. I drove 2-1/2hrs to get 1200lbs of clay for my wife’s business. Empty on the way was better than stock if that’s saying much. Loaded on the way back was effortless and obviously the ride was much smoother and the shocks really make the truck feel planted and predictable.

It’s so controlled that you feel like the more aggressive you drive the better it gets. It’s going to be a riot with the camper. It was a $14k smile but I’m still smiling 🙂 Really appreciate the advice from @BLACKCHERRY to make me love my truck again.

Sorry this has no relation to the pathfinder experience but I’m super happy with where I ended up! On to the truck camper thread and see whats next…..
Love this! The Pintops get better the faster you go. Combine with XHD springs and a proper load and you're ready to party. Keep us posted; glad you're happy!
 
@BLACKCHERRY - I have a install date for pintop this coming monday. The shop I'm using has tons of experience with pintop (but not pathfinder) and basically said nobody complains. I was on the fence vs pathfinder (still am). I want a great pavement ride but also off-road too ( two-track, rocks, washboards, etc). Not looking for high speed whoops or anything like that, as I carry about 700# in the bed. Hope I made the right choice.
 
Last edited:
That said, they're all corrected and have been shipped so they should be somewhere on their way to you. If you'd like me to hunt down your specific set, I'd be happy to assist. I'll need to know from whom you ordered and from whom they ordered!
Thank you, but no need! The shop called and said my springs are in there’s no need for the temporary 4” blocks. Excited to be picking the truck up tomorrow afternoon.
 
@BLACKCHERRY - I have a install date for pintop this coming monday. The shop I'm using has tons of experience with pintop (but not pathfinder) and basically said nobody complains. I was on the fence vs pathfinder (still am). I want a great pavement ride but also off-road too ( two-track, rocks, washboards, etc). Not looking for high speed whoops or anything like that, as I carry about 700# in the bed. Hope I made the right choice.
Well, I'm a King guy. That said, I've been doing this for 13 years and am consistently moving the goalposts of what these trucks are capable. I don't think there's ANYTHING wrong with the Pintops, even on-road. I absolutely love the control and how the truck begs for the skinny-pedal in every environment. But, that's the point here - I drive hard, pretty much always and the Kings are conducive to that driving style. If most of your driving is tame, not spirited and your offroad activities are the same, the Pathfinder is more than enough shock package and will ride great. I tend to buy more than i need in a project as i prefer overbuilt; it ensures i don't buy twice. In this situation, though, the Pintop will ride a bit more firm than the Pathfinder so you'll need to be honest with yourself about your goals for this rig. Personally, i'd rock the Pintop. Also, bonus points for the 17-4 stainless steel shafts on the Pintop in CO; one trip to Breckenridge from Cali and the crap that they use for ice control ate most of the exposed/zinc'd steel under the truck.

Is the 700lbs in the bed constant load, or only when you're off-highway? Did you go Full Progressive Leaf Springs or HD variant?
Thank you, but no need! The shop called and said my springs are in there’s no need for the temporary 4” blocks. Excited to be picking the truck up tomorrow afternoon.
Figured they were in-route; great to hear and excited for your feedback!
 
Well, I'm a King guy. That said, I've been doing this for 13 years and am consistently moving the goalposts of what these trucks are capable. I don't think there's ANYTHING wrong with the Pintops, even on-road. I absolutely love the control and how the truck begs for the skinny-pedal in every environment. But, that's the point here - I drive hard, pretty much always and the Kings are conducive to that driving style. If most of your driving is tame, not spirited and your offroad activities are the same, the Pathfinder is more than enough shock package and will ride great. I tend to buy more than i need in a project as i prefer overbuilt; it ensures i don't buy twice. In this situation, though, the Pintop will ride a bit more firm than the Pathfinder so you'll need to be honest with yourself about your goals for this rig. Personally, i'd rock the Pintop. Also, bonus points for the 17-4 stainless steel shafts on the Pintop in CO; one trip to Breckenridge from Cali and the crap that they use for ice control ate most of the exposed/zinc'd steel under the truck.

Is the 700lbs in the bed constant load, or only when you're off-highway? Did you go Full Progressive Leaf Springs or HD variant?

Figured they were in-route; great to hear and excited for your feedback!
when you say pintop is firmer, firmer than pathfinder or firmer than stock tremor shock? The load is static during hunting season and then the truck is used for camping/boating towing etc.
 
when you say pintop is firmer, firmer than pathfinder or firmer than stock tremor shock? The load is static during hunting season and then the truck is used for camping/boating towing etc.
Firmer than the Pathfinder. The ride is different than the stock tremor as the stock Tremor isn't a bad ride up front, it's bad in the rear and the harshness is from the spring, not the shock. The Pintop is better than the stock tremor up front and rear (assuming our full progressive leaf springs), but the firmness is more from the control of that valving, not the stiff factory springs. It's difficult to articulate, but it's a better "firm" as it's confidence inspiring rather than comfort disturbing.
 
Firmer than the Pathfinder. The ride is different than the stock tremor as the stock Tremor isn't a bad ride up front, it's bad in the rear and the harshness is from the spring, not the shock. The Pintop is better than the stock tremor up front and rear (assuming our full progressive leaf springs), but the firmness is more from the control of that valving, not the stiff factory springs. It's difficult to articulate, but it's a better "firm" as it's confidence inspiring rather than comfort disturbing.
the difference in pintop and pathfinder is just the shocks that are used? or is the front coil different as well?
 
Love this! The Pintops get better the faster you go. Combine with XHD springs and a proper load and you're ready to party. Keep us posted; glad you're happy!
I've had my eyes set on the Pathfinder since yall mentioned it on social.
However, I recently scaled my truck coming back from Big Bend and, without even having built out the interior of my Lone Peak yet, I know i'm going to be going with the HD progressive springs (+1,000#) as my LP will ride full time on my truck.

With the extra weight, in what circumstances would you recommend someone going with Pathfinder over Pintop? Would the drivers still primarily be how they want it to act/feel on-road?

I tend to buy more than i need in a project as i prefer overbuilt;
a man after my own heart 💪 🤘
 
Got my truck back a couple of days ago with the pintop and XHD springs., shackles/sway bar. Immediately drove up the shittiest forest service road around. Amazing.

On road it’s amazing too but I had my expectations predefined. Steering is SOOOO much better with increased castor and tracks with one finger vs the constant lively “active” feel previously. Doesn’t catch truck ruts and road imperfections anymore making it much more relaxing to drive. Same Mickey Thompson Baja boss AT’s but feels totally better.

Was following this for the pathfinder but the pintop was the best option for a 1800lb slide in camper (that I don’t have yet).

If there’s no weight in it you feel the spring and shock valving. I drove 2-1/2hrs to get 1200lbs of clay for my wife’s business. Empty on the way was better than stock if that’s saying much. Loaded on the way back was effortless and obviously the ride was much smoother and the shocks really make the truck feel planted and predictable.

It’s so controlled that you feel like the more aggressive you drive the better it gets. It’s going to be a riot with the camper. It was a $14k smile but I’m still smiling 🙂 Really appreciate the advice from @BLACKCHERRY to make me love my truck again.

Sorry this has no relation to the pathfinder experience but I’m super happy with where I ended up! On to the truck camper thread and see whats next…..
Interesting review... are you saying you feel the XHD springs are riding nicer than the factor leafs, unloaded?

If so, it makes me rethink keeping the stock springs and instead potentially going to an HD Deaver spring. Same use case as you: I'm unloaded most of the time (well, about ~250 lbs constant between the retrax cover and a couple bins of tools I keep in there), and on a lot of fire roads and BLM, but need to provision for the ~1,800-2,000 slide-in pop-up camper used a few weeks in the Summer (in addition to 6-8 weekends towing midsize trailers). I don't like having to rely 100% on airbags to support the camper, though its fine for the trailers. If the HD springs would ride a smidge better than stock, or at least no worse, but still removes the block and will give me a good improvement with camper.... perhaps that's the move. Carli seems to say that's not the case though, right @BLACKCHERRY.

I have the whole Carli setup (everything other than radius arms) sitting here, minus shocks, waiting to see a few reviews of the Pathfinders with a camper to validate that's the route I want to go vs Pintops. CJC's official recommendation is Pintops + stock leaf springs, FWIW.
 
I've had my eyes set on the Pathfinder since yall mentioned it on social.
However, I recently scaled my truck coming back from Big Bend and, without even having built out the interior of my Lone Peak yet, I know i'm going to be going with the HD progressive springs (+1,000#) as my LP will ride full time on my truck.

With the extra weight, in what circumstances would you recommend someone going with Pathfinder over Pintop? Would the drivers still primarily be how they want it to act/feel on-road?


a man after my own heart 💪 🤘
Nope, HD, XHD or XXHD, I always recommend Pintop. More weight justifies more control; especially with a raised center of gravity.
@BLACKCHERRY any updates on the steering stuff?
A lot to talk about, but nothing notable to the end customer. We're in production on the first 10 sets that we're building in house from heat-treated 4140, machined and welded in our HQ. It's going to be expensive, but the design is done aside from a few finishing touches. We have this on 3 Super Duties in the shop, mine included and have put it through the wringer. We're able to make what we have on our trucks, but are in the process of designing a forged version that will negate much of the expensive in house process resulting in an equally strong system with far more production efficiency resulting in lower cost. Our R&D on this system goes absolutely wild. When it drops, it's going to impress.
Interesting review... are you saying you feel the XHD springs are riding nicer than the factor leafs, unloaded?

If so, it makes me rethink keeping the stock springs and instead potentially going to an HD Deaver spring. Same use case as you: I'm unloaded most of the time (well, about ~250 lbs constant between the retrax cover and a couple bins of tools I keep in there), and on a lot of fire roads and BLM, but need to provision for the ~1,800-2,000 slide-in pop-up camper used a few weeks in the Summer (in addition to 6-8 weekends towing midsize trailers). I don't like having to rely 100% on airbags to support the camper, though its fine for the trailers. If the HD springs would ride a smidge better than stock, or at least no worse, but still removes the block and will give me a good improvement with camper.... perhaps that's the move. Carli seems to say that's not the case though, right @BLACKCHERRY.

I have the whole Carli setup (everything other than radius arms) sitting here, minus shocks, waiting to see a few reviews of the Pathfinders with a camper to validate that's the route I want to go vs Pintops. CJC's official recommendation is Pintops + stock leaf springs, FWIW.
Stock springs are never the answer. XHD don't ride well unloaded, but his opinion is as valid as any. Which rides worse unloaded, the stock springs or the Carli XHD? I don't know, but you're fighting the same issue, too much spring so you can't feel the shock. I have to think that i wouldn't be able to tell the difference if i was blindfolded and all else was equal (course, small bumps, shocks, etc.).

If you're unloaded most of the time and want to haul a camper for a few weeks a year, The Standard full progressive leaf springs with an Air-bag system would be my recommendation. I wouldn't want to suffer 47 weeks of stiff ride for optimal control with a camper 5 weeks a year. I would far rather enjoy my ride 47 weeks a year and control the camper with an airbag knowing i couldn't crush dirt roads with it in (which i wouldn't do either way).

Both our Pintops and Pathfinder would be a huge upgrade over stock shocks with your camper in (especially with our full progressives and airbags), but i would give the edge to the Pintops here.
 
Nope, HD, XHD or XXHD, I always recommend Pintop. More weight justifies more control; especially with a raised center of gravity.

A lot to talk about, but nothing notable to the end customer. We're in production on the first 10 sets that we're building in house from heat-treated 4140, machined and welded in our HQ. It's going to be expensive, but the design is done aside from a few finishing touches. We have this on 3 Super Duties in the shop, mine included and have put it through the wringer. We're able to make what we have on our trucks, but are in the process of designing a forged version that will negate much of the expensive in house process resulting in an equally strong system with far more production efficiency resulting in lower cost. Our R&D on this system goes absolutely wild. When it drops, it's going to impress.

Stock springs are never the answer. XHD don't ride well unloaded, but his opinion is as valid as any. Which rides worse unloaded, the stock springs or the Carli XHD? I don't know, but you're fighting the same issue, too much spring so you can't feel the shock. I have to think that i wouldn't be able to tell the difference if i was blindfolded and all else was equal (course, small bumps, shocks, etc.).

If you're unloaded most of the time and want to haul a camper for a few weeks a year, The Standard full progressive leaf springs with an Air-bag system would be my recommendation. I wouldn't want to suffer 47 weeks of stiff ride for optimal control with a camper 5 weeks a year. I would far rather enjoy my ride 47 weeks a year and control the camper with an airbag knowing i couldn't crush dirt roads with it in (which i wouldn't do either way).

Both our Pintops and Pathfinder would be a huge upgrade over stock shocks with your camper in (especially with our full progressives and airbags), but i would give the edge to the Pintops here.
Appreciate your thoughts, @BLACKCHERRY. Just for clarity, I wasn't looking at the XHD, just the HD. Which I figure might be an in-between option that would be a little better than stock springs for the 47 weeks, and better than the standard progressives for the 5 weeks with camper.

Or, does your recommendation stand vs the HD (not XHD) as well (go standard deavers + install my FT bags), and pintops over the pathfinders for part-time camper duties?
 
Appreciate your thoughts, @BLACKCHERRY. Just for clarity, I wasn't looking at the XHD, just the HD. Which I figure might be an in-between option that would be a little better than stock springs for the 47 weeks, and better than the standard progressives for the 5 weeks with camper.

Or, does your recommendation stand vs the HD (not XHD) as well (go standard deavers + install my FT bags), and pintops over the pathfinders for part-time camper duties?
If you don't have 1,000lbs in the bed at all times, same logic applies - no HD. You'll be over-sprung unloaded and under-sprung with the camper - that's actually worse!
 
Appreciate your thoughts, @BLACKCHERRY. Just for clarity, I wasn't looking at the XHD, just the HD. Which I figure might be an in-between option that would be a little better than stock springs for the 47 weeks, and better than the standard progressives for the 5 weeks with camper.

Or, does your recommendation stand vs the HD (not XHD) as well (go standard deavers + install my FT bags), and pintops over the pathfinders for part-time camper duties?
Im certainly not an expert to the level @BLACKCHERRY is here but I would think you still would want the full progressives and airbags vs the HD deavers.
I dont think you're sacrificing anything by going airbags and full progressives, especially considering only ~10% of the time you are driving around loaded.
 
Back
Top Bottom