Camper Shell Options for Super Duty Tremor

Not a Tremor but I'm pleased w/ my smartcap. If anyone else picks one of these up use Loctite on the fasteners and retorque them 1-2 times / year. Most of the issues I've seen with these are from working lose over time and leaking. I think some pics I saw on this site last year convinced me to buy one. No part of the cap touches the truck paint. I can open the cap and tailgate independently. That feature combined w/ the side windows make it more functional than the ARE I had on my previous truck.

20221125_164750.jpg
 
Last edited:
In what way??

I’ve got a snug top rebel and not thrilled with how dust gets in but otherwise it seems to be really well constructed
The rear door hinges are better on the ARE. Little things like the paint job seems to be better on ARE, shel itself seems like ARE had a little tighter tolerances.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Gus
Do you find the windoors on this size of a truck usable without a stool? I'm 6' and standing next to the truck and thinking about reaching over the lip of the windoor to try and reach into the bed I realized it would likely be difficult without bringing a stool along so I've generally moved on from that thought.
I only use them occasionally and typically to load things up for big trip or something. Otherwise only when easier than accessing from the back.
 
What was the damage on this one, all said and done?
I'm not sure on his specifically, but the quote I got for an ARE Z Series with electric rear lock, dual rope lights, sliding/tilting front window, and bare roof tracks installed without any cross bars was right at $4,000.

Mickey
 
I'm not sure on his specifically, but the quote I got for an ARE Z Series with electric rear lock, dual rope lights, sliding/tilting front window, and bare roof tracks installed without any cross bars was right at $4,000.

Mickey
What was the damage on this one, all said and done?

I'm not sure on his specifically, but the quote I got for an ARE Z Series with electric rear lock, dual rope lights, sliding/tilting front window, and bare roof tracks installed without any cross bars was right at $4,000.

Mickey
I actually was very fortunate to find mine used about 3 hours from my home. It has the LED rope light with door switch, clothes rod, carpeted, flip down front window and the Yakima roof racks. The guy I bought it from had it had it for one year, paid $3900, and used it on one trip (He gave me his receipt) I paid $2500. Great deal and a quality made cap.
 
70052837515__CB1A6467-9E38-4A70-963A-ACF52803DD0C.jpeg
TL;DR- My shell doesn't lock/unlock as intended and I need wiring schematics.. but the ARE Z Series looks great! :)

I bought a used ARE Z series for my 2022 F350 with lock/unlock functions and am trying to wire it up. I tapped the drivers side door sill wiring (gray/brown and green/brown) but am getting weird symptoms when trying to lock/unlock the shell. The wiring from the door sill to the ARE module does not activate the lock/unlock functions.

Symptom: With the wiring attached to the ARE power box module as intended, when locking the truck the reverse lights flash for a fraction of a second. The cap does not lock/unlock. I can pull the wires and the reverse lights to not flash.

I feel that this symptom is some sort of back feed into the circuit, but for the life of me cannot figure out how or why. I'm not sure if this is the proper verbiage, but I do know that the reverse lights shouldn't activate.

I have tried reversing the wires that I tapped without success. My only thought now is the wires I have tapped are not correct. The picture attached is the two wires I have tapped, the yellow highlighted circle is a wire that I initially thought was gray/brown and tapped it first. When that tap didn't work, I changed it. Maybe I shorted a circuit accidentally? (I did run the BdyCM through Forscan and didn't have any DTC's populate.)

I have tried to find the wiring schematics for my 2022 but am coming up empty handed. Does anybody have any input to my problem or maybe knows where to find the schematics?

Mickey

IMG_6901.jpeg
 
Last edited:
View attachment 115458TL;DR- My shell doesn't lock/unlock as intended and I need wiring schematics.. but the ARE Z Series looks great! :)

I bought a used ARE Z series for my 2022 F350 with lock/unlock functions and am trying to wire it up. I tapped the drivers side door sill wiring (gray/brown and green/brown) but am getting weird symptoms when trying to lock/unlock the shell. The wiring from the door sill to the ARE module does not activate the lock/unlock functions.

Symptom: With the wiring attached to the ARE power box module as intended, when locking the truck the reverse lights flash for a fraction of a second. The cap does not lock/unlock. I can pull the wires and the reverse lights to not flash.

I feel that this symptom is some sort of back feed into the circuit, but for the life of me cannot figure out how or why. I'm not sure if this is the proper verbiage, but I do know that the reverse lights shouldn't activate.

I have tried reversing the wires that I tapped without success. My only thought now is the wires I have tapped are not correct. The picture attached is the two wires I have tapped, the yellow highlighted circle is a wire that I initially thought was gray/brown and tapped it first. When that tap didn't work, I changed it. Maybe I shorted a circuit accidentally? (I did run the BdyCM through Forscan and didn't have any DTC's populate.)

I have tried to find the wiring schematics for my 2022 but am coming up empty handed. Does anybody have any input to my problem or maybe knows where to find the schematics?

Mickey

View attachment 115462

I believe my dealer tapped into the trucks Power Tailgate lock for power to operate the canopies electric lock.
 
View attachment 115458TL;DR- My shell doesn't lock/unlock as intended and I need wiring schematics.. but the ARE Z Series looks great! :)

I bought a used ARE Z series for my 2022 F350 with lock/unlock functions and am trying to wire it up. I tapped the drivers side door sill wiring (gray/brown and green/brown) but am getting weird symptoms when trying to lock/unlock the shell. The wiring from the door sill to the ARE module does not activate the lock/unlock functions.

Symptom: With the wiring attached to the ARE power box module as intended, when locking the truck the reverse lights flash for a fraction of a second. The cap does not lock/unlock. I can pull the wires and the reverse lights to not flash.

I feel that this symptom is some sort of back feed into the circuit, but for the life of me cannot figure out how or why. I'm not sure if this is the proper verbiage, but I do know that the reverse lights shouldn't activate.

I have tried reversing the wires that I tapped without success. My only thought now is the wires I have tapped are not correct. The picture attached is the two wires I have tapped, the yellow highlighted circle is a wire that I initially thought was gray/brown and tapped it first. When that tap didn't work, I changed it. Maybe I shorted a circuit accidentally? (I did run the BdyCM through Forscan and didn't have any DTC's populate.)

I have tried to find the wiring schematics for my 2022 but am coming up empty handed. Does anybody have any input to my problem or maybe knows where to find the schematics?

Mickey

View attachment 115462
Great looking truck!
 
I believe my dealer tapped into the trucks Power Tailgate lock for power to operate the canopies electric lock.
Thanks! That is good to know.

Hindsight being what it is, I should have done that from the beginning. Though, since I was using a harness that was already made to tap into the drivers side door panel I went that route.

Mickey
 
Huge stocking shipment has just arrived! If you've been looking for a Evo Sport series Smartcap, we just received quite a few. These will go fast, so don't delay! Currently these are at our Brockton, MA shop. If you're local or local-ish, swing by and grab one to save yourself the shipping.


PH --->>>> 888-466-8991

Web ---->>>>
OFFROADALLIANCE.COM




tfvTnsH.jpg
 
Huge stocking shipment has just arrived! If you've been looking for a Evo Sport series Smartcap, we just received quite a few. These will go fast, so don't delay! Currently these are at our Brockton, MA shop. If you're local or local-ish, swing by and grab one to save yourself the shipping.


PH --->>>> 888-466-8991

Web ---->>>>
OFFROADALLIANCE.COM




tfvTnsH.jpg
Nice truck! Best “shell” I have owned in 30 years of owning them.
 
Nice truck! Best “shell” I have owned in 30 years of owning them.
Same. Beats the hell out of fiberglass. I just wish I could get a remote unlock setup for it. I do also wish the front window could be opened from the cab side small window like I could with my LEER. Only short comings I've found.
 
Taking the whole "camper" shell thing a bit far, but I'll bite. The camper is an Overland Explorer Vehicles Camp-X. 3 season, heat, hot water, 20 gallon water tank, two burner stove, 55L fridge, 1,300 pounds. It's pretty nice.

We had a Leer 100XR with sliding windoors and a single twist lock rear glass on old Tacoma and it was rad. Can definitely recommend those for people looking.

PXL_20230704_015055539.webp
 
Huge stocking shipment has just arrived! If you've been looking for a Evo Sport series Smartcap, we just received quite a few. These will go fast, so don't delay! Currently these are at our Brockton, MA shop. If you're local or local-ish, swing by and grab one to save yourself the shipping.


PH --->>>> 888-466-8991

Web ---->>>>
OFFROADALLIANCE.COM




tfvTnsH.jpg
Just curious, are these now made here in USA? Is that why they are starting to ship more frequently? Are they going to offer the rumored color march option?
 
Just curious, are these now made here in USA? Is that why they are starting to ship more frequently? Are they going to offer the rumored color march option?

They are starting to produce some caps at their new Fort Worth, TX production facility. But the only caps produced so far are Tacoma caps. They will be producing some F150 caps and Tundra caps by the end of the calendar year though. The bulk of the caps you're seeing that are available from us at least is because we put in stocking orders a loooonnnnngggg time ago and they're finally arriving. We're not saying that color matching won't happen ever, but it's not going to happen any time soon. If you want color matched, any autobody shop can paint it once you receive it. We've had a lot of customers do that.

This started out as an all white commercial cap:


XvyItYk.jpg
 
Thanks for the quick reply, I plan on getting one at some point. Just gotta save 5k extra first 👍
 
Back
Top Bottom