Camper Shell Options for Super Duty Tremor

Quick question for you topper/cap owners. I've seen some mention about some brands/models fitting very tightly and overlapping onto the painted area and then subsequently rubbing through the paint.

1) Do some brands fit more forgiving and/or not overlap the paint (just come down over the plastic)?
2) Would a thicker bulb seal versus the foam tape often used lift the cap a little to keep in just overlapping the plastic?
3) Would a strip of vinyl or paint protection film protect the paint or would this just rub through?

Secondly are some brands more forgiving in terms of on/off reinstallation due to tolerances? I'd like a topper for somethings but I will 100% be taking it one and off at times over the course of the year.
 
Not sure about your other questions, but my ARE Z series fiberglass cap wraps around the edge of the bed rail enough that I can't see the plastic cover. It also has enough of a gap that it does not touch the paint. I didn't see the installation but I understand they used a strip of 1/4" thick foam for the gasket and I've never noticed any problems. If I take the cap off I will reinstall with a double or triple bulb tubular seal.
 
Mine is a ARE. Fits perfect 👍
 

Attachments

  • BE1CCF41-BDE8-46F5-8F5C-6D2F9F42B407.webp
    BE1CCF41-BDE8-46F5-8F5C-6D2F9F42B407.webp
    577.6 KB · Views: 177
I just requested pricing on an ARE Z series and the person i spoke with said they will only sell an ARE Z series to a diesel HD truck owner if it’s insisted on because the diesel motor vibrates enough to break the glass. she was almost telling me she wouldn’t sell it to me. Almost.

I didn’t tell her it was the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard…but I’ve been thinking it. Has anyone else ever heard of such a thing?

i think I’ll be making my purchase elsewhere…
 
I would like to do a tonneau cover when I get my truck, but I wouldn’t be able to haul all my tools with one installed. I would also like a Caravan Camper shell . They are high quality and look good, but they’re out of my price range. So I’ll probably get another leer. This time with the all glass door with a single handle that will lock when the truck is locked.
 
I just requested pricing on an ARE Z series and the person i spoke with said they will only sell an ARE Z series to a diesel HD truck owner if it’s insisted on because the diesel motor vibrates enough to break the glass. she was almost telling me she wouldn’t sell it to me. Almost.

I didn’t tell her it was the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard…but I’ve been thinking it. Has anyone else ever heard of such a thing?

i think I’ll be making my purchase elsewhere…
Somebody needs a different job. Tempered glass all around. If vibration is a problem (which there wouldn't be any from the engine) think of what a nice pot hole would do. Ridiculous. That was your sign to move on down the road to an intelligent dealer.
 
Quick question for you topper/cap owners. I've seen some mention about some brands/models fitting very tightly and overlapping onto the painted area and then subsequently rubbing through the paint.

1) Do some brands fit more forgiving and/or not overlap the paint (just come down over the plastic)?
2) Would a thicker bulb seal versus the foam tape often used lift the cap a little to keep in just overlapping the plastic?
3) Would a strip of vinyl or paint protection film protect the paint or would this just rub through?

Secondly are some brands more forgiving in terms of on/off reinstallation due to tolerances? I'd like a topper for somethings but I will 100% be taking it one and off at times over the course of the year.
I have an ARE Z series cap. It has a very tight tolerance, especially around the bed cap. You need to go to a competent dealer that will take the time to put it on your truck, so you do not have any paint rub issues. The only issue I had was a slight rub up by the cab at the corners of the cap. No matter how I positioned it would touch the paint. I easily fixed this by using a small spacer, probably 1/8 inch to lift the cap up. This spacer did nothing to the side appearance of the truck but gave the separation that was needed.
 
I have an ARE Z series cap. It has a very tight tolerance, especially around the bed cap. You need to go to a competent dealer that will take the time to put it on your truck, so you do not have any paint rub issues. The only issue I had was a slight rub up by the cab at the corners of the cap. No matter how I positioned it would touch the paint. I easily fixed this by using a small spacer, probably 1/8 inch to lift the cap up. This spacer did nothing to the side appearance of the truck but gave the separation that was needed.
If a cap always required super diligent installation to avoid any rubbing that wouldn’t be a good match for my needs, as noted I will be taking it on and off myself multiple times a year.

But it sounds like shimming (which I presume a thicker double/triple bulb seal would accomplish) gives some more clearance to alleviate that very tight fit if I understood correctly.
 
Yes, on my truck no matter how I centered the cap along the front by the cab it would touch the bed side. I used a piece of cheap stick on carpet tiles in the corners running it about foot down the bed rail top under the cap, including the seal kit that came with the truck. I'm sure you could find the correct tape seal to alleviate this issue. Just keep in mind if your removing it all the time you might want to get a cap that sits on top of the bed rails, so you don't have to do deal with this issue and will make storing it easier. The ARE Z series has that then lip that bends around and requires a stand, you can not set it down on this edge, because you will damage it. If money is no object, I would get the RSI smart cap.

I love the look (Makes it looks like an Excursion), but if I had to remove it all the time I would not pick this cap. Just my thoughts.
 
I just requested pricing on an ARE Z series and the person i spoke with said they will only sell an ARE Z series to a diesel HD truck owner if it’s insisted on because the diesel motor vibrates enough to break the glass. she was almost telling me she wouldn’t sell it to me. Almost.

I didn’t tell her it was the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard…but I’ve been thinking it. Has anyone else ever heard of such a thing?

i think I’ll be making my purchase elsewhere…
ive Never heard of that, I had one on my ram cummins truck. I have not been in a diesel truck that vibrated and rattled since back in the day when my uncle had a dodge ram with the cummins 12 valve with a manual trans, but that was back in 97. Is she still living in the 90’s or just plain stupid?
 
I have a snug top. On my last truck I had an ARE. I think the ARE was a little better quality but I’m happy with the snug top.
 
I have a snug top. On my last truck I had an ARE. I think the ARE was a little better quality but I’m happy with the snug top.

In what way??

I’ve got a snug top rebel and not thrilled with how dust gets in but otherwise it seems to be really well constructed
 
Do you find the windoors on this size of a truck usable without a stool? I'm 6' and standing next to the truck and thinking about reaching over the lip of the windoor to try and reach into the bed I realized it would likely be difficult without bringing a stool along so I've generally moved on from that thought.
 
Do you find the windoors on this size of a truck usable without a stool? I'm 6' and standing next to the truck and thinking about reaching over the lip of the windoor to try and reach into the bed I realized it would likely be difficult without bringing a stool along so I've generally moved on from that thought.
Sometimes I stand on my tire to reach in the side. I mostly used the rear gate but side entrance is handy on occasion.
 
Do you find the windoors on this size of a truck usable without a stool? I'm 6' and standing next to the truck and thinking about reaching over the lip of the windoor to try and reach into the bed I realized it would likely be difficult without bringing a stool along so I've generally moved on from that thought.

This is one reason why I didn't get windoors. I wanted them initially but Being 5'7" I knew I'd never be able to use them to access inside the truck so I went with the sliding windows instead.
 
This is one reason why I didn't get windoors. I wanted them initially but Being 5'7" I knew I'd never be able to use them to access inside the truck so I went with the sliding windows instead.
On a tacoma or ranger I could absolutely see them being useful, these trucks much less so!
 
Sometimes I stand on my tire to reach in the side. I mostly used the rear gate but side entrance is handy on occasion.
Side access is an occasional endeavor when the rear access is not convenient.

DA
On a tacoma or ranger I could absolutely see them being useful, these trucks much less so!
I'd want the windows for air circulation if camping in it...

DA
 
Back
Top Bottom