Whipple Installed!

(y)I'm interested to see what you think of their tune......

From one KTM owner to another :)
 
Well, after reading through this thread multiple times….you all have convinced me to go Whipple. I’ve been on the fence for a while on whether I wanted one or not. Ordered today. 5star said they are 12-15 weeks out right now. My situation is quite similar to @GT-SD …..Towing 14-15k 5th wheel a couple times a year. Overall 8-10k miles a year of use. You all have been a wealth of knowledge which will hopefully keep me running for a while. I’ll continue to monitor this thread and keep ya’ll updated of any issues I might run into in an effort to give back, for all the help you have given me.
 
Well, after reading through this thread multiple times….you all have convinced me to go Whipple. I’ve been on the fence for a while on whether I wanted one or not. Ordered today. 5star said they are 12-15 weeks out right now. My situation is quite similar to @GT-SD …..Towing 14-15k 5th wheel a couple times a year. Overall 8-10k miles a year of use. You all have been a wealth of knowledge which will hopefully keep me running for a while. I’ll continue to monitor this thread and keep ya’ll updated of any issues I might run into in an effort to give back, for all the help you have given me.
Send me a personal message with your email and I will send you the instruction manual that I corrected. I’m not sure what year your truck is but I imagine the same items apply to the pre-23s as the post 23s
 
I finally did a long road trip with my truck unloaded except for a motorcycle in the box. Traveled from Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada, to Grand Forks, and onward to Billings, Montana.

We traveled 80 to 85 miles an hour most of the time, and one thing that jumped out at me is the supercharger spent a lot of time in boost, as we were climbing small grades and bucking a wind, as opposed to downshifting. For mild hills, it would get a few pounds into the boost for steeper ones into the wind it would just hold 6 pounds of boost the entire way up the hill sometimes a minute at a time.

Other than one obviously bad tank of fuel, (truck was deep in boost frequently) remedied with 6 gallons of E85, (which allowed for timing to be added back in and far less boost needed) everything went really well. Mileage was my usual 11mpg.

I currently have a 3.5” pulley on, will be switching back to a 3.625 after this trip.
 
We traveled 80 to 85 miles an hour most of the time, and one thing that jumped out at me is the supercharger spent a lot of time in boost, as we were climbing small grades and bucking a wind, as opposed to downshifting. For mild hills, it would get a few pounds into the boost for steeper ones into the wind it would just hold 6 pounds of boost the entire way up the hill sometimes a minute at a time.
That sounds pretty normal. On the Tremors with the 4.30 gears, it may spend a little less time in boost as the base RPM's are higher, but with the Whipple calibration, it does not downshift on cruise control. Normal foot pedal, no problem, it downshifts and finds the different power band....cruise control, it just holds the higher gear and can lug the engine. When towing a heavy load, you will sometimes have to press the pedal to get it to downshift or lock out another gear or two to force it. I have found that with the 4.30's, locking out 9 and 10, it can handle most mild and moderate hills with little interaction even at 15k lbs, just going in and out of boost. So, other than a little inconvenience at times, it's not really a major issue. Hopefully, Whipple will get around to modifying the shift table for Cruise control one day.
 
I noticed it would not grab a lower gear under pretty much any circumstance using cruise, it’s odd. I was down almost 10 mph.

That said, I find relying on cruise control for downshifts to be at best a better late than never scenario at best in most vehicles.

Odd calibration issues that are easily fixed baffle me.
 
Well....guess I will finally get to the bottom of the intermittent mystery noise. When you burn the belt up and throw it off, the dash lights up like a Christmas tree and the truck is pretty much undrivable. Initially, doesn't appear to be Whipple related as that still turns easily by hand so we will see.

On the plus side, the very first time I have ever used Ford Roadside Assistance. They quickly dispatched a tow truck and on the way it went. They kept me up to date via text and through the app and the dealer sent me a text when the truck arrived to let me know it was there and scheduled for diagnostic tomorrow.

Truck Tow.webp
 
Well....guess I will finally get to the bottom of the intermittent mystery noise. When you burn the belt up and throw it off, the dash lights up like a Christmas tree and the truck is pretty much undrivable. Initially, doesn't appear to be Whipple related as that still turns easily by hand so we will see.

On the plus side, the very first time I have ever used Ford Roadside Assistance. They quickly dispatched a tow truck and on the way it went. They kept me up to date via text and through the app and the dealer sent me a text when the truck arrived to let me know it was there and scheduled for diagnostic tomorrow.

View attachment 216619
Damn hopefully nothing crazy. If I remember correctly you changed all the pullys, tensioner and belt. Did it still run or die completely?
 
Damn hopefully nothing crazy. If I remember correctly you changed all the pullys, tensioner and belt. Did it still run or die completely?
I did replace all the pulley's. Those are fine. I was driving it and noticed an occasional moment where the steering seemed to "lock". Pulled in to inspect as I thought something physical was broken in the steering train and noticed a little smoke coming from the engine bay. Went to go shut the truck off and it popped and the engine started running rough along with the dash lights. So shut it down, popped the hood and saw the belt busted and wrapped all around the fan and other items.

I got Ford Roadside assistance in motion and then tried to look a little closer. The belt was smoking, so something appeared to had locked up. The very first thing I spun was the Whipple as that was my first concern. It spun easily by hand, then I hit all the pulley's I replaced, they spun freely as well. I had just checked the oil level in the Whipple last weekend, and knew it looked good, so that would have been a surprise if it was an issue. It was too hot for me to reach in and check the water or power steering pumps plus the belt was in the way.

It is at the dealer, they were going to get the belt cut out from being wrapped around everything and do some initial teardown yesterday afternoon / this morning.

Hopefully something minor, but we will see. Eitherway, I'll keep you guys posted.

Below is the Photo from checking the oil on the Whipple. Still looks good for ~41k miles of use.

Whipple Oil 07.02.25.webp
 
  • Useful
Reactions: VB!
Looks like oil is overfilled?
 
Looks like oil is overfilled?
My truck is on a slight slope in the driveway. I did a long science experiment when I first installed to get the Whipple level and then reference it back to in my driveway at that slope as the engine needs to be cool to check it and I didn't want to have to spend the time to level the Whipple everytime. The first time checking it took 2.5hrs between the 5 mirror setup and getting it level. Bought a cheap borescope and that made it 100x easier. The goal was to walk out where I normally park the truck, check it and know whether I have an issue or not.

The engine has a slight rake from front to back when the truck is level so you actually have to get the rear of the truck up slightly to get the Whipple level. I check the level every few thousand miles, so I have a many, many reference points and photos. The small bubble at the top is typical when checked at this position and references back to a normal fill level.
 
Man I am getting worried for @GT-SD . Crickets chirping. We need answers my good man!!!!
I think yours has been the only problem free set-up my friend. Hope everyone else's gets theirs resolved soon 🤞🏻.
 
I think yours has been the only problem free set-up my friend. Hope everyone else's gets theirs resolved soon 🤞🏻.
Well my 37's would like to have a chat about that! lol. I have nowhere near the seat time GT-SD has. I just need to get with @trmrzla to marry the S&B intake to the Whipple.
 
I need to get with a tuner first about modifying the base tune.
I looked back a few pages but can’t recall what changes you are looking at with the tune?

I am holding my breath for a what I’m told is a tuning announcement from HPTuners next week….
 

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom