Whipple Installed!

I agree probably 2 different issues, but l, mine sounded exactly like a squeeked bearing, I took it all apart and lubed it, and no luck, I never reconciled why a belt resolved it. I even put the old belt back on….(which is super easy swap on the 150), and got my tweety bird under the hood back….odd.

Thanks for the part numbers.
 
My BT-154 tensioner's 3/8 square hole for removing tension on the belt is starting to round out. I have a tensioner release tool made just for this, but the metal is too soft. What a pain. I see some Mustang guys complain about the same thing. How was yours holding up?
 
(Edited) Still* waiting on a tune from Ford / Whipple…..but, I did my first towing today with the blower!

I was towing a trailer with load weighing approx 9500 pounds. The trailer deck is about 3 feet off the ground and the load is about 6 feet tall on the deck. Trailer is a 22 foot deck over..

Other than the ongoing strange lack of additional power until third gear (while still making full boost), the truck did really well. It towed a lot like an eco-boost engine or dare I say any turbo charged engine…. Instead of dropping gears for the rolling hills it just went in and out of boost, very smoothly and without a boost gauge you wouldn’t know what’s happening, except perhaps the conspicuous supercharger whine that picked up when boost hit 4 pounds or more. I mostly towed in eighth gear as I was bucking a 20 mile an hour headwind, I spent most of the time going just over 70 miles an hour, sometimes 75, the headwind had me watching the fuel gauge visibly move (haha).

So aside from the supercharger attracting attention to itself with its typical whining, it was a very effortless tow on admittedly what is a rather moderate load. The big difference being that it hardly shuffled gears ever. And passing power is epic, at a level, not likely to be seen even with a tuned diesel. I was running 93 octane top tier fuel as well.

It’s interesting to note the truck is not shy about going up to 6 -7 pounds of boost at just over 2000 RPMs before it downshifts to a lower gear. Assuming that Whipple has the truck properly calibrated to handle this it occasionally would settle in at five or 6 pounds of boost for an entire hill climb and maintain the speed nicely.
 
Last edited:
Well I’m officially losing faith in Whipple. 11 weeks waiting for a revised tune, I sent logs, videos, descriptions.

“New” tune, is no better, at all. Wow.

Truck making full boost and falling all over itself in 1st and 2nd gear. Boggles the mind what they think they “fixed”.

They also shipped me a replacement bypass actuator, so I pulled stuff apart.....the bypass is for a Gen 5 / F150 5.0.

Guess I'm driving to Fresno so they can sort this out, only 31 hrs from here to there.
 
Last edited:
Well I’m officially losing faith in Whipple. 11 weeks waiting for a revised tune, I sent logs, videos, descriptions.

“New” tune, is no better, at all. Wow.

Truck making full boost and falling all over itself in 1st and 2nd gear. Boggles the mind what they think they “fixed”.

They also shipped me a replacement bypass actuator, so I pulled stuff apart.....the bypass is for a Gen 5 / F150 5.0.

Guess I'm driving to Fresno so they can sort this out, only 31 hrs from here to there.
When they sent me a refurbished TB to try, the paperwork said 132mm, 2018 Coyote TB. I called before they shipped it to confirm, they said they are all one in the same.
 
When they sent me a refurbished TB to try, the paperwork said 132mm, 2018 Coyote TB. I called before they shipped it to confirm, they said they are all one and the same.
Ya the 132MM “crusher” TB’s are same for all fords I believe.

The bypass actuators are not, which I realized after taking the other one off and seeing it was half as long, wasn’t even for a 6th gen blower, which might have been the actual fitment issue, since they bolt wholly to the blower housing.

All in all I was expecting the Whipple calibration to be mild, dependable and to work properly, nothing more nothing less. Knowing real speed is in the realm of custom tuning, with no expectations other than it working properly.

My wife hopped in for the test run, her comment was “that’s disappointing and messed up” . She previously daily drove a whippled truck on the Whipple cal for 2 years btw.
 
Ya the 132MM “crusher” TB’s are same for all fords I believe.

The bypass actuators are not, which I realized after taking the other one off and seeing it was half as long, wasn’t even for a 6th gen blower, which might have been the actual fitment issue, since they bolt wholly to the blower housing.

All in all I was expecting the Whipple calibration to be mild, dependable and to work properly, nothing more nothing less. Knowing real speed is in the realm of custom tuning, with no expectations other than it working properly.

My wife hopped in for the test run, her comment was “that’s disappointing and messed up” . She previously daily drove a whippled truck on the Whipple cal for 2 years btw.
Man this is so sorry to hear. I can destroy tires on command even doing 40 mph. Off the line is just pure awsome sauce. There has to be some hidden table the programmer just isn't seeing. It is crazy how fundamentally the programming changed year to year. I wonder if you could get a 2020 ecm and run that.
 
Man this is so sorry to hear. I can destroy tires on command even doing 40 mph. Off the line is just pure awsome sauce. There has to be some hidden table the programmer just isn't seeing. It is crazy how fundamentally the programming changed year to year. I wonder if you could get a 2020 ecm and run that.
That’s awesome, I was hoping someone would post about the launch and tire cooking abilities, thanks for clarifying that it can work! 720/750 is A LOT of power and shouldn’t seem neutered when working properly,

Our F150 we had, we bolted on the blower and it was civilized as long as we stayed out of the pedal, mash it and it would kill the tires first 3 gears in 2wd. Sound just like your rig, but f150 flavor.

Imagine having one of these trucks that barely spins the stock height tires. It’s odd, it actually chipped as hard going into 3rd the other day as when I launched from a stop.
 
My BT-154 tensioner's 3/8 square hole for removing tension on the belt is starting to round out. I have a tensioner release tool made just for this, but the metal is too soft. What a pain. I see some Mustang guys complain about the same thing. How was yours holding up?
It was wallowed out, same as the Mustang guys' complaint. However, most of the damage was me using a 3/8" cheater bar that was tough to get the right angle or leverage. The tensioner on this is loaded up so even a 18" cheater bar, you had to put it halfway in to get the right angle and leverage, causing most of the damage. In fact, most of the damage was caused during the installation of the Whipple due to a lack of sufficient leverage or the incorrect tool. Once I bought the Powerbuilt Serpentine Tool kit with a 24" handle that is flat, it made it a LOT easier and on the new tensioner, there is no damage so far.

Pulley1.webp
Tool1.webp

Tool2.webp
 
Thanks for that. The one I have is a gearwrench and kind of like yours. I see a few companies make a billet tensioner but they are expensive. Not sure if it copies a BT-154. I can get the 3/8 square all the way in but I can feel it wallowing out.
 
It's all in the tune, Whipple has acknowledged that, there is no other fix unfortunately.

It's closing the throttle per the logs, going as low as half throttle at WOT. The CEL issue is a result of uneven firing due to the method of power limiting.
Did Whipple ever address this issue?

I took my '23 in for service and the dealer updated all kinds of things. I've had it back 10 days and it has not run the same since. Friday I finally had the chance to get on it and it seemed fine but different. A few minutes of driving later it stalled while backing up a steep long hill backwards. Saturday the check engine light came on and it's tossing codes.

I'm wondering if they updated something that affected the Whipple or installed a new Whipple tune. My Ford dealer is a big Whipple dealer and both said they can handle updates. I just don't see it on the service report. How do I tell what tune I have? Codes below.

20250623 Codes.webp
 
P0300 - MISFIRE
P0313 - LOW FUEL MISFIRE
P0316 - MISFIRE ON STARTUP

I think you have a misfire issue.....
 
Last edited:
  • Brilliant
Reactions: VB!
P0300 - MISFIRE
P0313 - LOW FUEL MISFIRE
P0316 - MISFIRE ON STARTUP

I think you have a misfire issue.....
Yes!

I recalled that isthatahemi was getting a misfire code as well which is why I asked him if he got resolution on the tune issue.

I'm thinking the dealer did some update or updates wrong that is causing problems. It goes back in tomorrow which is a pain. I know the outside temperature reading is wrong and the paperwork shows an update and recalibration for that which must have been done wrong. It is showing very high typically between 127 and 162 degrees and the truck has not spontaneously combusted so it's not that hot. It is causing the air conditioning to run hard. I would think the engine would use a different air temperature measurement than one taken from a thermometer in the mirror but who knows. If it uses that measurement that might be the problem.

It also stalled in the gas station when I went down to top off the tank to make sure that I was not getting a bad reading from the tank too. It's a nice day in the low 70's and the outside temp is reading at 114. degrees.
 
Yes!

I recalled that isthatahemi was getting a misfire code as well which is why I asked him if he got resolution on the tune issue.

I'm thinking the dealer did some update or updates wrong that is causing problems. It goes back in tomorrow which is a pain. I know the outside temperature reading is wrong and the paperwork shows an update and recalibration for that which must have been done wrong. It is showing very high typically between 127 and 162 degrees and the truck has not spontaneously combusted so it's not that hot. It is causing the air conditioning to run hard. I would think the engine would use a different air temperature measurement than one taken from a thermometer in the mirror but who knows. If it uses that measurement that might be the problem.
I still have WOT CEL misfire (random cylinder misfire) issues, if it's cooler out it's guaranteed; power limiting caused they tell me). The latest tune made ZERO difference.

I'm officially getting the runaround from them. They know there's a tune issue limiting power, we discussed how Ford is claiming it's driveline protection, until I pointed out the driveline is rated for 1050Ft/lbs., now it's ummm, uhhhh.....It's a disappointing mess.

I have been asked if I can take my truck there to have them work on it / look at it, but as they can't fix the tune, I'm not sure its worth disruption to my vacation and and extra 26hrs round trip of driving.

At this point, this is an issue I could likely resolve with 15 minutes and HPTuners if they had access, so I am to the point of waiting for access, which at least guarantees a fix.
 
P0300 - MISFIRE
P0313 - LOW FUEL MISFIRE
P0316 - MISFIRE ON STARTUP

I think you have a misfire issue.....
I didn't answer your question.....I would clear the code, reset the KAM, and see if it ever happens again. These trucks have glitches from time to time I've noticed, this could be just that.

Unless......I'm not sure how you deactivated your fuel pump during the install? maybe check that.
 
were you super low on gas? The increased G's from thew whipple could be sloshing the fuel
 
Maybe they flashed over the Whipple Cal?
 
I didn't answer your question.....I would clear the code, reset the KAM, and see if it ever happens again. These trucks have glitches from time to time I've noticed, this could be just that.

Unless......I'm not sure how you deactivated your fuel pump during the install? maybe check that.
were you super low on gas? The increased G's from thew whipple could be sloshing the fuel
Maybe they flashed over the Whipple Cal?
Whipple has not responded yet on my question to them if the calibration gets any data from the outside temp reading. I dropped it back off at the dealer this afternoon and the service rep did not know either but noted to check. I did not clear the codes as I wanted the dealer to see them. I showed them the Tomahawk tool reading and they wrote them down.

Yes I was low on gas the first time it stalled but this is where it gets interesting. I have never gotten better than 14 MPG in this truck nor in my last Tremor that did not have a Whipple. When I picked it up from service on the 13th it was showing I was getting 15 MPG in traffic and I wondered what was wrong. I thought they updated something that was causing that to run bad too. I ran through a tank and it was showing 70 miles left before empty and then dropped to 10 miles left before empty in less than 10 miles. Something was reading strange. When I filled it up it took 30 gallons which is what it should for 300 miles of City traffic driving. Calibrations are way out of wack. I thought the air I the fuel code was because of low gas but with it only taking 30 gallons there was plenty in the tank. It then stalled again with a full tank and fresh gas.

Ken Grody Ford in Orange County does all the service on my truck. Whipple told me to only trust two dealers in So Cal with servicing a Whipple, Ken Grody or Galpin. They are very familiar with the Whipple as is the service rep I always go to. I asked the service rep if any of the updates may have overwritten part of the Whipple calibration, he looked at the last work order, and his body language told me that might be it. He said they'll check. I'll know more in a day or two.

I think the latest calibration Whipple installed when it was last there in March is stored on the SD card in the Tomahawk tool. I left the tool in the truck. They did mention sometimes the auto updates cause problems which is why they turn them off and left the tune on the card. Sometimes it needs to b reloaded.
 
FYI: Price has now gone up to $9,999
 

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom