Which Tonneau Cover? Looking for advice

I went MX4 and it does a fine job while looking good. That said the panels are large and heavy. Were i to do it again i'd spend more $$ and go with the slider type (retrax i think). Just so nice how it slides easily and can be locked at any point.

Backflip or similar was a no go for me since they block the rear view when open. I went with the Retrax XR pro and am quite impressed. I did the install so all seals are aligned properly. Yesterday I saw a Peragon on a cousin’s truck. Not impressed. Only can be open or closed. Doesn’t seal well and is cheaply made. He was seriously jealous of my Retrax!

Mine came with the Retrax XR from the factory. Mine is leaking but it may be a minor adjustment. The tailgate seal does not appear to be making contact. I’m thinking the whole unit needs to shift back slightly.
First, I love my Retrax Pro XR - Power, but agree the tailgate doesn’t seem to seal tight and allows some dust and water migration at the tailgate. I installed an additional automotive window EPDM rubber weather stripping. I placed it under the existing seal, which lifted the OEM seal and provided a much improved seal. I now get almost zero dust/water migration.

383A7D3A-6EF5-4814-B74F-E18ED5637B72.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B089QBQ351?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

***Updated***
This is the seal after being installed a couple years. The OEM seal provides a sweep on top of the tailgate, this added seal provides a seal between the back of the tailgate and cover. There is a small 1/2” return on the cover that is perfect for this piece, but stops short a couple inches on each side, where I just attached a smaller piece to the underside of the cover. This isn’t a perfect solution, but a 95% solution for me. I also sealed up the remaining cracks in the bed with window urethane but black caulk would also work and a cheaper alternative.

IMG_1898.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FW61EW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image&th=1

Last edited:
For anyone in the market, we're offering discounts on all major brands of tonneau covers for the Labor Day weekend holiday. Feel free to send me a PM if we can help get you setup.
Got any current deals on the Bakflip MX4?

Last edited:
First, I love my Retrax Pro XR - Power, but agree the tailgate doesn’t seem to seal tight and allows some dust and water migration at the tailgate. I installed an additional automotive window EPDM rubber weather stripping. I placed it under the existing seal, which lifted the OEM seal and provided a much improved seal. I now get almost zero dust/water migration.

View attachment 60339

Could you post a picture of how you installed this?

The best hard folding cover I've ever had was the Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite. Kept everything dry, could open it from either end, could open the tailgate end without having open the tailgate, could fold it forward and still hook up either my gooseneck horse trailer or put in my 5th wheel hitch and haul the camper, locked from the outside with steel locks and locking components. Outstanding cover all around.

Covid and the governor of Michigan put them out of business.

I've been meaning to add some additional weather stripping to my Retrax cover as well. Thanks for posting the link. (y)

I am finding myself torn between a BakFlip MX4 and the Retrax Pro XR.

We've run the MX4's on a few of our other shop trucks and really liked them. Look good and built really well. For the Superduty, the Retrax XR has been a very nice upgrade. You do loose a bit of bed space but it's minimal considering how big the beds are on these trucks.

We've got both in stock and forum member deals. Shoot us a message, happy to help.

RetraxOne XR

2MjQAxD.jpg

Is the Roll N Lock M Series considered sub-standard when compared to the Retrax? I think their approach to closing it with the silly pull cord is kind of an afterthought.

Is the Roll N Lock M Series considered sub-standard when compared to the Retrax? I think their approach to closing it with the silly pull cord is kind of an afterthought.
The M-Series is substandard to the RetraxPRO series as the RetraxPRO series is all aluminum and the RollNLock M-Series is vinyl over aluminum. The M-Series would be more considered a retractable version of the Bak Revolver X4S which is a vinyl over aluminum roll-up cover above the rails.

Additionally, the M-Series is only able to be stopped in closed, halfway, or full open where as the RetraxPRO can be stopped anywhere along the rails.

The M-Series does not have a keyed lock like the RetraxPRO. And the M-Series features a 3-year warranty while the RetraxPRO features a limited lifetime warranty.

We carry both of them so happy to help with either one.

I am finding myself torn between a BakFlip MX4 and the Retrax Pro XR.

It's a tough choice. I've seen both covers in action, and each has its perks. The Retrax does consume some bed space when rolled up, but the t-slot feature is a game-changer if you're considering adding a rack later on.

ford-tremor-retrax-go-rhino-rack.jpeg

Additionally, the Retrax can be easily removed if you need full access to the bed. I'm real happy with mine.

Did anything change in regards to bed dimensions from '22 and '23?

Interesting how so many people go with the Retrax covers... I considered the Retrax PowertraxPro XR versus the PaceEdwards Ultragroove Electric and decided to go with the PaceEdwards cover.

Both seem to have good reviews and couldn't find strong arguments against either brand. I did find more posts on difficulty getting warranty honored with Retrax, but difficult to know if that is a higher percentage of owners or simply due to more people buying this cover increases the likelihood of a dissatisfied customer.

One big criticism I found on the Pace Edwards is that they don't list the amount of weight the cover can hold while Retrax lists the Powertrax Pro XR at 500lbs. I don't ever seem myself in a situation where I would have that kind of snow accumulation that I would have to worry about the amount of weight the cover is holding. Neither are made to be walked on (which I also wouldn't do).

When looking at warranties, the Retrax warranty for the PowertraxPRO XR have a limited lifetime warranty for the failure of materials and workmanship. Warranty replacement costs will be prorated after three (3) years for the PowertraxPRO XR. What's unclear is how Retrax prorates following the 3 year period. The PaceEdwards Ultragroove Electric has a 7 year warranty which is prorated after 5 years. I figured it would be better to have full coverage for 5 years. The PaceEdwards also is about $150 less which this forum has also helped me spend on other things.

Interesting how so many people go with the Retrax covers... I considered the Retrax PowertraxPro XR versus the PaceEdwards Ultragroove Electric and decided to go with the PaceEdwards cover.

Both seem to have good reviews and couldn't find strong arguments against either brand. I did find more posts on difficulty getting warranty honored with Retrax, but difficult to know if that is a higher percentage of owners or simply due to more people buying this cover increases the likelihood of a dissatisfied customer.

One big criticism I found on the Pace Edwards is that they don't list the amount of weight the cover can hold while Retrax lists the Powertrax Pro XR at 500lbs. I don't ever seem myself in a situation where I would have that kind of snow accumulation that I would have to worry about the amount of weight the cover is holding. Neither are made to be walked on (which I also wouldn't do).

When looking at warranties, the Retrax warranty for the PowertraxPRO XR have a limited lifetime warranty for the failure of materials and workmanship. Warranty replacement costs will be prorated after three (3) years for the PowertraxPRO XR. What's unclear is how Retrax prorates following the 3 year period. The PaceEdwards Ultragroove Electric has a 7 year warranty which is prorated after 5 years. I figured it would be better to have full coverage for 5 years. The PaceEdwards also is about $150 less which this forum has also helped me spend on other things.
The best warranty I've experienced with covers was Truxedo. I bought a used truck and needed replacement parts and they sent them free of charge, no idea if there was warranty left but I doubt it.

Had a Pace Edwards cover but never needed any service so I can't speak on that. No issues with it.

I had a Bak Roll-X on a previous truck before they changed the name. It started falling apart and I was not able to receive any help from them at all. It was out of warranty, I was willing to pay. I refuse to buy another from them.

My last two trucks have had Retrax and I've had no issue's calling them and getting one of the covers replaced as I ordered the wrong one, got the MX instead of the XR that I wanted. I've not had any warranty issues to test them with.

Last edited:
Back