Which Tonneau Cover? Looking for advice

Going with Bak x4s, initially want to go with the trifold But don’t like it against the back windshield when fold up so going to the roll cover.

We carry all the major brands of covers, but the first thing to figure out is what style of cover you like.

You have folding, rolling, and retractable covers as the typical options. Folding covers would be like the Bak MX4 where one panel folds on top of each other and then they can be locked up against the back wall of the cab. They're light and easy to remove and a solid price point, the only negative is that when fully open, they will block your visibility out the back window.

Rolling covers would be like the Bak Revolver X4s. It's a soft vinyl covering with hard aluminum panels inside and rolls up when bed access is needed. Pros are that it's low profile. Cons, I've seen some leak issues with them the soft outer shell will wear faster.

Retractable covers would be something like Retrax. Pros, hard and secure cover and no visibility loss. Cons, you lose a little bed space for the canister and they're a more expensive option.

Happy to go over any of the above with you in more detail if you'd like. Please feel free to reach out for any questions or quotes with our forum pricing as well.
Good explanation... I went with the Truxedo Sentry CT (from ApolloOptics). This a a hard roll-up style and I found it to hit a good balance for my needs - a bit more secure being a hard roller, doesn't limit the rear view as much when rolled, easy to take the rolled cover off on in a matter of minutes when full bed access is required, and it looks great with the matte finish! I have found even thru a carwash the bed stays dryer than with my previous cover (Ford OEM soft tri-fold).

Another vote for the Bakflip MX4. Love mine.

Retrax pro xr, no leaks, very solid well built sturdy cover.
Mine came with the Retrax XR from the factory. Mine is leaking but it may be a minor adjustment. The tailgate seal does not appear to be making contact. I’m thinking the whole unit needs to shift back slightly.

Mine came with the Retrax XR from the factory. Mine is leaking but it may be a minor adjustment. The tailgate seal does not appear to be making contact. I’m thinking the whole unit needs to shift back slightly.
Do you have any pictures? I ordered my truck with it.

I went with the RetraxOne MX roll-up after long consideration. Pros: super easy to slide open (mine is manual; there is an electric one with remote), will lock open anywhere along the rail, doesn't block rear-view when fully open, more secure than flip-ups. Cons: 11" square storage box takes up a little bed space ( still has 6-8" underneath), not absolutely leak-proof unless you run the drain tubes.(same for flip-ups)
I’d really recommend running the drain lines, they’re pretty easy to install and are helpful in evacuating the water from your canister in a heavy rain. I’ve had no leaks in mine at all except a few drips at the tailgate after a real good gully washer.

Going with Bak x4s, initially want to go with the trifold But don’t like it against the back windshield when fold up so going to the roll cover.
UnderCover Flex, UltraFlex, and ArmorFlex would be worth looking at. It kicks straight up in place instead of against the cab.

96F94DF6-BCC1-4DA9-AA25-794A55C09952.jpeg

UnderCover Flex, UltraFlex, and ArmorFlex would be worth looking at. It kicks straight up in place instead of against the cab.

View attachment 60255

I had this on my raptor to replace the old Bakflip g2. Unfortunately mine started falling apart shortly after I bought it. I had an immediate warranty return due to some dents in the aluminum skin when it showed up (which was replaced 100% with pictures immediately). Unfortunately the 2nd one had its own problems. Trim started falling/sliding off while off roading and the screws that held the mount for the upright cover holder rod thing snapped after short time of use broke.

Everything was covered under warranty but it was still frustrating to have to constantly replace parts on a $1000 tonneau cover.

It made me wish I kept the bakflip g2 I had before.

I had the trifold on previous trucks. Just got my x4s delivered this week. Truck is being built the week of September 19th. Can’t wait. How do you like thex4s?

I had the trifold on previous trucks. Just got my x4s delivered this week. Truck is being built the week of September 19th. Can’t wait. How do you like thex4s?
I’m actually on the same boat like you, got my x4s today in fact and build date was supposed to be on the 19th but was bumped up to the 12th.

I have a soft top tri fold on my Tundra right now and love it, but it’s a pain to open and close. One thing for sure, the x4s is heavy duty, didn’t expect the package to be that heavy when I moved it to the garage lol

Nice cover. I just checked the rear measurements and it is too far forward so shifting it back should fix it.

Some more pictures.

Attachments

• 3F7E6867-1C16-45DB-BB5D-6A6F76520037.jpeg
    3F7E6867-1C16-45DB-BB5D-6A6F76520037.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 243823F0-2C9E-4876-BF75-B71E25242768.jpeg
    243823F0-2C9E-4876-BF75-B71E25242768.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 109
  • C2FC81DB-F1D1-4A46-9C4E-4BD67EFACD25.jpeg
    C2FC81DB-F1D1-4A46-9C4E-4BD67EFACD25.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 110
I listened to the very good opinions on this forum and decided on the Truxedo Sentry. I was looking for a roll up not a retactable. I wanted something a bit more secure than the lighter roll up versions Couldn’t be happier. This thing is stout. It was packaged like it was a piece of expensive crystal. From placing the order to delivery was 5 days. The customer service is excellent. The fit is perfect. IMHO you can’t go wrong with this one.

I would NOT order the retractable tonneau from Ford direct, again.
Now when I start using it, I see the disadvantage of the "retractable part" when it's open.
Now it's a challenge to put the right stuff at first at the truck.
Very poor advise from the car dealer.
Looks nice when it's closed. Very easy to open and close with but only with hand gloves because you will burn you hands in Florida.
Hand gloves for the cover was the first thing I purchase after I got the truck.

I listened to the very good opinions on this forum and decided on the Truxedo Sentry. I was looking for a roll up not a retactable. I wanted something a bit more secure than the lighter roll up versions Couldn’t be happier. This thing is stout. It was packaged like it was a piece of expensive crystal. From placing the order to delivery was 5 days. The customer service is excellent. The fit is perfect. IMHO you can’t go wrong with this one.
Agree! Mine has been great so far. Very happy with this decision.

I have a little experience with the Bakflip mx4 on a work truck, but I didn’t install or remove it ever? I liked it, but is it easy to remove? For a single person? I’m wanting to get a hard locking cover for my own truck and thought I’d get the Bakflip mx4 but reading this thread made me realize I should also consider one that is easy to remove by myself so I can use the bed to its full potential or if I get a slide in camper.

Back