What’s on your Smoker or Grill today?

I ordered a new pellet smoker, should be here sometime early next week. Any suggestions on the first thing I should cook/smoke on it? I know that pellet smokers make it pretty easy, but this will be my first time smoking anything.
You can't go wrong with a pellet smoker. Key is to not open the lid any more than you have to. Something as simple as a meatloaf is amped up when cooked on a smoker. Our first dish was a wild caught Alaskan salmon. Only took about 20 minutes and turned out awesome. https://www.traeger.com/recipes/garlic-salmon

I would suggest you use tried recipes to start out and then expand your menu.
https://cookwhatyoulove.com/50-best-traeger-recipes/
 
Last edited:
Spent the morning making my fathers sage dressing and stuffing one turkey that went into the oven. About to stick this one on the treager.
20211125_115028.webp
 
Since it's just the two of us we're having what we want -
top notch steaks and sea scallops (not cheapo bay scallops).
DW is making an apple pie and I'm making baguettes to go
with the mashed taters and green things.

I’m seafood challenged, what’s the difference between the sea scallops you have and “cheap bay scallops”
 
I always remove the backbone and flatten the bird for a more even smoke. I also baste the bird with a bourbon, butter, brown sugar. 6 hours at 235 degrees.
I's gone so must have been ok.
 

Attachments

  • Turkey.webp
    Turkey.webp
    354.7 KB · Views: 34
The app is wonderful, thanks!!!!

Have it set at 375 & it’s struggling to mats in 300* between the wind and the cold temp, hopefully we don’t run out of pellets lol

Looks like they make insulated blankets for cold weather smoking, guess I’ll be getting one for Christmas

Highly recommend. It's on my list for myself and my father-in-law for Christmas. We're actually a GMG dealer as well through one of our larger distributors.
 
Highly recommend. It's on my list for myself and my father-in-law for Christmas. We're actually a GMG dealer as well through one of our larger distributors.
You should have mentioned that sooner!

Turkey above was done on a Boone Prime with the GMG rotisserie. Damn good smokers. And the Blanket is worth it. That turkey was on for 11hours at 250. Only used half a hopper of pellets. Ambient temp was around 40 all day. Without I definitely would have had to reload.
 
Trip to Sams Club got these and did some time on the Traeger then a quick sear on my Weber. Not a bad night!
IMG_8635.webp
IMG_8637.webp
IMG_8640.webp
IMG_8641.webp
 
Copied an entry on another thread here to hopefully revive this thread by @Patriot . I think it will be just as popular with the new folks! 🍻

From fall of 2021: When you run across whole brisket at $3.89/lb at the store, well brisket is what's on the grill. Something about Fall weather makes me want to fire up the smoker.
1666458242851-png.62929
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom