Tremors and Campers let's talk camping!!

Last edited:
Be careful out there fellow campers!

I'm surprised the article mentions angling with the wind but not reminding people that their awnings are basically sails.

I was in a good one a several weeks ago in southern MO. Camper shook most of the night and both dogs were restless. I keep a decent handheld storm radio in there and have it on in standby mode when the weather gets bad, and I kept checking to see if it was actually working. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep that night. 😬
 
I'm surprised the article mentions angling with the wind but not reminding people that their awnings are basically sails.

I was in a good one a several weeks ago in southern MO. Camper shook most of the night and both dogs were restless. I keep a decent handheld storm radio in there and have it on in standby mode when the weather gets bad, and I kept checking to see if it was actually working. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep that night. 😬
I was a jr in high school at the time. A buddy and I were on a 20 mile kayak trip, and were camped on a sand bar in the middle of the river. We knew there was a good chance of heavy rains, so we picked the highest sandbar possible. We knew the river really well by that point, so knowing which sand bar to pick wasn’t an issue. However it didn’t take us long to realize we might have underestimated the storm. We brought the kayaks up as high as possible, tied them off to trees, tied our dry bags to the kayaks, and set up our tent hoping to stay dry. We camped roughly 8-10 feet above water line, and “woke up” with the water at the edge of our tent. Lol needless to say there wasn’t much paddling required the next day.

To this day that was probably my most memorable storm to sit out. An absolutely stunning electrical show, and being in the middle of a river with cliffs on one side and cedars on the other made for an amazing night. I was still too young to be scared though. At 16-17 you’re invincible lol
 
We were in 70mph gusts in New Mexico a few weeks back. I filled all of our tanks and hitched up. Definitely lots of rocking, but it didn't feel like we were going to flip at any point. 90mph...that's a yikes from me dawg.
 
I was a jr in high school at the time. A buddy and I were on a 20 mile kayak trip, and were camped on a sand bar in the middle of the river. We knew there was a good chance of heavy rains, so we picked the highest sandbar possible. We knew the river really well by that point, so knowing which sand bar to pick wasn’t an issue. However it didn’t take us long to realize we might have underestimated the storm. We brought the kayaks up as high as possible, tied them off to trees, tied our dry bags to the kayaks, and set up our tent hoping to stay dry. We camped roughly 8-10 feet above water line, and “woke up” with the water at the edge of our tent. Lol needless to say there wasn’t much paddling required the next day.

To this day that was probably my most memorable storm to sit out. An absolutely stunning electrical show, and being in the middle of a river with cliffs on one side and cedars on the other made for an amazing night. I was still too young to be scared though. At 16-17 you’re invincible lol
Damn! My backpacking tent is dialed in af. I wouldn't hesitate to weather a good storm in it and I tend to camp near water sources for resupplying/filtering convenience, but only took one flash flood along the Current River for me to start staying up a bit higher in the tree line. lol.

Campers and trailers tho, they're just tornader snacks. I'm on alert once the dogs start getting restless.
 
1000006467.webp

1000006468.webp


Kinda ot but not... finally getting a new awning put on our TT. Also found a Tremor friend hiding in the parking lot at Camping World.
 
Damn! My backpacking tent is dialed in af. I wouldn't hesitate to weather a good storm in it and I tend to camp near water sources for resupplying/filtering convenience, but only took one flash flood along the Current River for me to start staying up a bit higher in the tree line. lol.

Campers and trailers tho, they're just tornader snacks. I'm on alert once the dogs start getting restless.
this particular stretch is in Texas, and Texas is very large majority private land. Typically both sides of the river are private, which means camping is a no go unless you can find a sand bank in the middle of the river. On that stretch there’s roughly 10-12 different campable sand bars available the entire 20 miles. We picked the highest one for that trip. Some trips I’ll stay only 2-3 feet above the water if the weather is clear in our area and everywhere north along our rain shed.
 
Well I did it. Bit the bullet and put a deposit on a new 2024 Airstream 25FB with Queen bed and rear hatch and dual GE A/C units. Going to pay for it tomorrow and order some add ons. Will be ready when we return from a family trip to the Philippines. Planning on adding Solar, lithium, Victron Multiplus and Cerbo and 3 inch lift kit. Anything I'm missing?
 
Well I did it. Bit the bullet and put a deposit on a new 2024 Airstream 25FB with Queen bed and rear hatch and dual GE A/C units. Going to pay for it tomorrow and order some add ons. Will be ready when we return from a family trip to the Philippines. Planning on adding Solar, lithium, Victron Multiplus and Cerbo and 3 inch lift kit. Anything I'm missing?
Potentially a DCDC charger, victron of course.

In fact, if you plan at all to be overlanding or moving place to place... i would START with a DCDC and then figure out if you need solar. A good DCDC will run you far less than a solar panel (granted the wire size and length needed might make it a wash!) and if you're driving everyday you'll get far more power out of a DCDC than you ever will solar.
 
Well I did it. Bit the bullet and put a deposit on a new 2024 Airstream 25FB with Queen bed and rear hatch and dual GE A/C units. Going to pay for it tomorrow and order some add ons. Will be ready when we return from a family trip to the Philippines. Planning on adding Solar, lithium, Victron Multiplus and Cerbo and 3 inch lift kit. Anything I'm missing?
If you don't already have it, a good surge protector and water softener/filtration.
 
I took the Casita and the bikes to Arkansas and the Texas Hill Country this week, we had a great campsite on the Llano river outside of Mason, TX. The trailer towed like a dream back there, easy work with this truck.

kpGiPum.jpg

W9wNtsk.jpg

uCOZJMS.jpg
 
Looks great. The lights under the truck - just for fun or are those to keep critters away?
Critters. Something, probably a pack rat, chewed up the cover on one of our bike locks. We usually don't have problems because of the dogs and we leave the undercarriage lights I installed on the trailer on.
 
What is the largest travel trailer any of y'all have? Thinking of upgrading in the nearish future and want to see the biggest I can go comfortably without DRW
 
What is the largest travel trailer any of y'all have? Thinking of upgrading in the nearish future and want to see the biggest I can go comfortably without DRW
If you go back to the first several pages of this thread there are some pretty long ones referenced. This one may be the longest, however. A solid 7-8' longer than mine:

 
If you go back to the first several pages of this thread there are some pretty long ones referenced. This one may be the longest, however. A solid 7-8' longer than mine:

Yeah, I should've looked back. They show length on a few in the size range I was "window shopping" last night with the wife. The biggest she was looking at was ~40' but only right around 10k lbs. And about 1000 tongue.
 
Yeah, I should've looked back. They show length on a few in the size range I was "window shopping" last night with the wife. The biggest she was looking at was ~40' but only right around 10k lbs. And about 1000 tongue.
The tongue weights seem low to me - or maybe folks are just guessing based on the RV specs. Mine is 7500 dry, 8500 ready to camp, and my tongue is 1300lbs (verified by 😺 scale) vs. the 840lb "spec".
 
Back
Top Bottom